Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th September 2014, 16:22   #451
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

Are you sure? Can you substantiate pls. The data available on pages I visited suggest otherwise. In acceleration as well as top speed, TSI appears to beat GT TDI.

GT TDI and GT TSI are almost identical in performance though there is about 400cc engine difference.

The secret here is 'Magic of DSG'.

But still, I remember reading the GT TDI is just a tiny bit quicker, all due to that massive 250 NM torque powering the wheels.

One of the articles which I have referred is here.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 16:28   #452
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

If priced equally, I would still buy a diesel car instead of a petrol.

The oodles of torque available in a diesel engine simply cannot be matched by a petrol. I enjoy driving the 140 bhp diesel (in XUV) more than the 130 bhp petrol (in Civic) & 150 bhp petrol (in Lancer GT in Dubai).
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 16:31   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I just love the way T-jet drives johy, but I think you must really experience the way a GT TDI (1.6) delivers Power.

I am not comparing or complaining T-Jet here, but if you have not tried the 1.6 GT TDI, you are missing the comparison basis completely.
The GT TDI is a one off sport variant. Its a bigger engine in a smaller hatch, which gives it better power/ torque to weight and thus makes it quick. Similarly you have variants like the Laura VRS petrol which which can blow away the 2.0 TDI variants of cars in its class and happily keep up with the 2.0L diesels that cost almost twice the money.

In the Indian market, in the hatch and mid-segment space its the diesels that generally outrun the petrols, and thats mainly down to the fact that the petrol engines are not turbocharged. But if you look at the 20L + range, there are some stonking petrol cars that easily outclass the diesels. Example : The Octavia 1.8 TSI, the A3 TFSI, the BMW 328i. If I am spending big money, I have no doubt which variant I am going for

The problem is that due to our preference for diesel cars, car makers are ready to invest in more and more diesel engines and make their cars more competent, whereas the petrol variant is neglected. For so many models, the petrol variant is not even launched and is totally skipped. Jetta, Cruze, Yeti, some exciting Fords... the list is endless.
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 18:01   #454
BHPian

This question was virtually a no brainer till a few years back. When I bought my Figo in Feb 2012, the diesel price in Bangalore was 45 vs 75 for petrol. So despite my annual running of 10-15K per year and 1 lac upfront price difference, it still made sense to go for diesel. Now purely from a financial standpoint this delta is 64 vs 78, hence only large annual running really makes sense for diesel purchase.

However in the hatchback segment given the 1.2L cap on engine capacity, there are very few petrol hatchbacks which can deliver performance that can be satisfying esp when compared against there larger capacity turbo charged diesel counterparts.

So for individual like me with limited running and assuming budget no constraint i would still buy a diesel hatch, but when it comes to sedans with larger capacity petrol I might stick to petrol. HOnda City being one example where I would certainly choose petrol over diesel.
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 19:33   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Some stonking petrol cars that easily outclass the diesels. Example : The Octavia 1.8 TSI, the A3 TFSI, the BMW 328i. If I am spending big money, I have no doubt which variant I am going for
Interestingly, I feel all those cars sells probably < 20% of their diesel counterparts .

More likely cars like City & Corolla has a better possibilities of people preferring petrol over diesels.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 19:42   #456
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if the car makers would now start reducing the price of their diesel cars which just don't cost so much more to make than the petrol variants. Otherwise with the 1-1.5L diffrential, it just doesn't make sense for most people who do at best 10-15k kms p.a.

Another factor is that in some segments there are no petrol cars. For eg for a 9-15 lakh SUV segment there are no options with petrol engines.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 20:44   #457
Senior - BHPian

Yes I would still buy a diesel car unless
1. The petrol version is almost as powerful as diesel
2. It must be turbo charged.

One should also keep in mind that diesels are inherently more efficient than petrols.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 21:22   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
After driving turbo cars very difficult to go back to NA cars.
You're so damn right mate. That awesome moment when you're driving on an open stretch, and the turbo suddenly kicks in putting a smile on your face and make you feel like GOD from there on.

"Once you go turbo, there's no going back"
RiGOD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 21:28   #459
BHPian

Another interesting question is GT TSi vs GT Tdi. I am not sure if there is a thread and if there has been a discussion but I will be buying a new car (my first) in the coming months and this is one of the questions I hope is answered somewhere.

I have been used to Automatics in the USA for most of the past three years and I know how convenient it is even in the wide roads and regulated traffic of the USA. I can only imagine how much it will assist the drivers in India.

With the cars being priced identical, does the convenience and features (ESP, Hill hold etc) of the Petrol outweigh the mere economy of the diesel?

That said, if the prices of the fuel are the same then I will go with a Petrol. Haven't driven a diesel yet but not sure if they will have the same NVH as their gas counterparts. Been in an diesel Innova a lot of times but the noise gets to your after a few hundred kilometers.
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 21:48   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Interestingly, I feel all those cars sells probably < 20% of their diesel counterparts .

More likely cars like City & Corolla has a better possibilities of people preferring petrol over diesels.
Very true. There is a very strong perception among the non petrol heads that petrol cars are manufactured just to make cars affordable for those who cannot afford diesel cars. When I bought a petrol car for 15L in 2011 (when the price gap was at its peak) people used to tell me that I could've easily got a diesel car for that price. They just could not see the logic in opting for a petrol car for that kind of money. In their minds the diesel car was faster than the petrol car, cheaper to run and offered better resale. Whichever way you looked at it, Diesel won. When most diesel car owners shifted to diesel cars, they were so thrilled with the merits of the modern day diesels that they swore to never buy petrol again.

The Govt. has realised that petrol is no longer the rich man's fuel. Its the two wheeler and small car owner that is buying petrol. The gap is almost down to single figures now and I don't see the gap increasing by much any time soon.

For the Indian car buyer's mindset to change it is going to need Maruti to pull out a special petrol engined car out of their hat. The success of the swift diesel was the turning point in the Indian car market in favour of diesel. It has to be Maruti again to mark the return of petrols. TATA's revotron is here, the TSI and ecoboost have been here for a while. When are the Turbo petrols from the Japs and Koreans coming?

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 9th September 2014 at 21:50.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 22:23   #461
BHPian

Without reading previous posts of this thread - here's my reply to the question asked.

NO! Not even if diesel is further subsidised to 50% of petrol, because a) its' unethical as per my conscience and b) hate the rattles / vibrations, the resulting noise and thick black smoke.
Fornax is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 22:27   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Without reading previous posts of this thread - here's my reply to the question asked.

NO! Not even if diesel is further subsidised to 50% of petrol, because a) its' unethical as per my conscience and b) hate the rattles / vibrations, the resulting noise and thick black smoke.

What is so unethical about using Diesel? And which modern diesel car you have seen spewing thick black smoke? Can you elaborate please.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 22:30   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
What is so unethical about using Diesel? And which modern diesel car you have seen spewing thick black smoke? Can you elaborate please.
Is Skoda Superb modern enough? I'll leave the unthical part - google subsidies and its purpose.
Fornax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 22:56   #464
BHPian

No way I would choose a diesel over an equivalent petrol unless its absolutely necessary for me to do lots n lots of miles.

The problems with diesels are that they completely lack in character. Yes there is lots of torque, but all of it comes in one big lump and as soon as it comes it disappers in a short time. Then there's the tractor noise.

I have a gt tdi and trust me its just out of puff at 3500 rpm plus. No use in going above that.

For me, in terms of sheer pedal to the medal driving pleasure my Brio beats my gt tdi. It's full of character and soul which the polo lacks.

IMO under 15 lakhs, the best engine is surely the 1.5 vtec of the city. Truely a masterpiece.

P.S -If you are wondering why I didn't get the Tsi, its purely because its not available in manual.....:banghead:
nakul0888 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 22:58   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
And which modern diesel car you have seen spewing thick black smoke? Can you elaborate please.
Which diesel doesn't? Even 50 lakh plus diesel sedans/SUVs belch out thick black smoke just like run-down trucks, under hard acceleration. I have personally seen this umpteen times. Can't believe you din't see this. I see it all the time. You do not have to look too hard. Just ask a diesel car guy to pull ahead of you and step on it..... and there. You will see a smoke screen right in front of you.

Last edited by pgsagar : 9th September 2014 at 23:03.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote