Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th September 2014, 23:13   #466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
What is so unethical about using Diesel? And which modern diesel car you have seen spewing thick black smoke? Can you elaborate please.
Forget regular cars, I have seen a 1 crore s class putting out black smoke under hard acceleration. Moreover the portion of the bumper just above the exhaust tips were visibly blackened due to it.......I think.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 23:23   #467
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Forget regular cars, I have seen a 1 crore s class putting out black smoke under hard acceleration. Moreover the portion of the bumper just above the exhaust tips were visibly blackened due to it.......I think.
I was tempted to write this, too. I mean even 1 crore diesel car belching smoke but I didn't, since I didn't see. Although, my cuz claims to have seen even a Porsche Panamera diesel belch black smoke like something had gone wrong when the driver slammed on the go pedal. In any case, the point is, yes, all diesel cars belch black smoke. One may find any number of reasons to buy diesels but three reasons not to will be smoke, vibration and absence of racing howl/growl/scream. Anyway, like they say, to each his own.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 00:15   #468
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Oh wow, its close. It seems there are some serious diesel lovers here. And I thought we were petrolheads.

Anyways, I would always opt for petrol motor, even if the prices are high. The power delivery is more linear and you cannot replace the fun of redlining a petrol engine with anything.

Funny, Diesel starts with Die and Petrol ends with Trol.
Burn_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 00:39   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Not really; and you are comparing a 1.5/1.6 TDI with a 1.2L TSI.
1.8TSI blows away its 2.0TDI cousin;does that make competition fair?
And you are comparing engine size.

Why don't we look at it from a BHP perspective. Both make the exact same BHP. TDI is faster, and would be even faster if it had a DSG.

Also, you are looking at 1.8TSI vs 2.0TDI at different stages of tune. Compare BHP for BHP, and you have a completely different ballgame.
holysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 00:41   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Are you sure? Can you substantiate pls. The data available on pages I visited suggest otherwise. In acceleration as well as top speed, TSI appears to beat GT TDI. I any case, Laura 1.8 TSI just blows the 2.0 L diesel Laura.
Sure. GT TDI beats the TSI. Even without the DSG.

You're comparing a 180BHP TSI to a 140BHP TDI. If they are in the same engine tune, horsepower for horsepower, the diesel would win just because there is so much more torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post

You are comparing a manual 1.5L diesel engine to an automatic 1.2L petrol engine and saying the first one wins?
I'm comparing a 105Bhp Diesel to a 105 Bhp petrol and saying the first one wins.

Last edited by holysmoke : 10th September 2014 at 00:42.
holysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 01:15   #471
BHPian

I voted don't know but in all probability I'd buy the petrol. It depends on the make to be fair.
Regardless of subsidy, or even if both the cars variants cost the same, would I buy a Corolla or the Honda diesel? No chance. Petrol, yes.
Would I buy the Cruze diesel, XUV 500, Thar etc? Definitely. Skoda Rapid and VW Vento have fantastic diesel engines too but it's Skoda. I digress.

But in general the Diesel engines are compromised over their petrol counterparts for an additional price too nonetheless.

However I'd like to point out that for people who like to put the pedal to the metal, Petrol engines lose 40 to 45% mileage but diesel cars lose only 10 to 15 %

Summary: I don't know, it depends.
dozer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 07:32   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Any diesel will smoke under hard acceleration for a few seconds. This is only because of all the accumulated soot in the silencer that gets blown out when the throttle is floored.

More so in our city cars where the rpms are usually less. However, a car driven enthusiastically most of the time shouldn't be emitting much visiting black smoke even under acceleration.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 07:38   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any diesel will smoke under hard acceleration for a few seconds. This is only because of all the accumulated soot in the silencer that gets blown out when the throttle is floored.

More so in our city cars where the rpms are usually less. However, a car driven enthusiastically most of the time shouldn't be emitting much visiting black smoke even under acceleration.
Cars like Cruze, Scala / Sunny smoke heavy under normal driving, fail to understand it and all I see is the bumper covering 'black' just above the exhaust tip.

Cleverly to hide this Renault/Nissan have given black cladding for the bumper so this sit accumulation is masked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
NO! Not even if diesel is further subsidised to 50% of petrol, because a) its' unethical as per my conscience and b) hate the rattles / vibrations, the resulting noise and thick black smoke.
Ethical or no, that I won't question since it is your opinion but the smoke and NVH is natural of diesel and if I can say that it has improved a lot vis-a-vis older generation engines.

The 1.3L MJD / DDiS are tuned brilliantly that making it frugal and silent along with minimal NVH as compared to competition. I haven't seen such a diesel engine till date and sales does speak about that engine - "National engine"

I am yet to see a petrol engine that feels like the MJD / DDiS.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 10th September 2014 at 07:43.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 08:16   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post

You're comparing a 180BHP TSI to a 140BHP TDI. If they are in the same engine tune, horsepower for horsepower, the diesel would win just because there is so much more torque.

Not entirely true, on outright acceleration it's the powerband that matters. A stock TSi in our rune were a lot faster than a remapped TDI, the diesel was running much higher torques.

Oh, and stock TSi is 160 BHP and it does blow the Audi 2.0 (177) on outright acceleration.

You put a turbo charger into a petrol with similar displacement, diesel can run for cover
azeemhafiz is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 08:16   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel the real advantage of Diesel is fuel efficiency. I drive one and no matter how deep the loud pedal gets, the car still returns at least 15 KMPL. A petrol will never come close unless its coupled with an electric motor.

But for everything else, I love petrol engines. The way it delivers at higher revs, the wider spread of torque, the fact that you can just hold on to a single gear while overtaking, the lovely grunt at higher rpms, the smoothness, or the ability to shift down when the engine is already near the higher end and get a push down the back still, oh the list just goes on. There is just so much purity in the way a petrol engine delivers. I love it.

And this thread is skewed because we have highly capable well kitted Diesel engines (internationally acclaimed engines with turbos, inter-coolers etc.) and some mediocre petrol engines powering our mainstream cars. Most petrol cars are getting a raw deal.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 08:27   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Which diesel doesn't? Even 50 lakh plus diesel sedans/SUVs belch out thick black smoke just like run-down trucks, under hard acceleration. I have personally seen this umpteen times. Can't believe you din't see this. I see it all the time. You do not have to look too hard. Just ask a diesel car guy to pull ahead of you and step on it..... and there. You will see a smoke screen right in front of you.

Is it the smoke or the pollution that you are concerned about. I believe diesel is less polluting than petrol?
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...nvironment.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Arjun Reddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 08:37   #477
BHPian

Diesel is cleaner for the environment as well, apart from the torque and the thrills!

I think the discounts on the diesels will go & will be inline with the cost of ownership for 3 yrs cycle. The additional cost of manufacturing a diesel car would only be the price difference soon if sanity prevails!
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 08:37   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Is it the smoke or the pollution that you are concerned about. I believe diesel is less polluting than petrol?
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...nvironment.htm
In short, Petrol has already contributed to the environmental pollution due to higher degree of refining than diesel oil, before it even reaches you and continues to pollute with more toxic gases, but with less visible smoke.

Pollution does not mean just thick black smoke. No visible smoke means no toxic gases present in the exhaust from petrol cars? Add to it less mileage of petrol motors. Again a negative for the environment?
ajaypjayaraj is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 09:53   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any diesel will smoke under hard acceleration for a few seconds.
Beats me, but my Figo D with 33,500 kms and approx 40 months of usage, still doesn't smoke. And this is not the only exception, the Yeti doesn't smoke as well. Though Yeti is always driven with a heavy foot and Figo rarely sees revs over 2,100-2,200. Might be an exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
But for everything else, I love petrol engines. The way it delivers at higher revs, the wider spread of torque, the fact that you can just hold on to a single gear while overtaking, the lovely grunt at higher rpms, the smoothness, or the ability to shift down when the engine is already near the higher end and get a push down the back still, oh the list just goes on. There is just so much purity in the way a petrol engine delivers. I love it.
That is true for a normally aspirated petrol engine. A turbo petrol won't behave that way. I haven't driven a turbo petrol for extended period but I think it can't match a NA engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
You put a turbo charger into a petrol with similar displacement, diesel can run for cover
It is the usability and driving characteristics of the diesel that it has drawn itself to the masses. It is fun driving a petrol, but for that you will have to be on edge every time to enjoy it, strictly my opinion, but I feel that way. It is intoxicating to bounce off the limiter but how many times can you do that? Cruise on a highway at 80kmph in a Swift D & Swift P and press on the gas for the quick overtaking. Well, it is fun to go down the 'box, but over a distance of 500kms?

Though, to each, their own I personally would prefer a normally aspirated petrol car over a turbo one & go bonkers redlining it. A turbo is like a typical male, comes early ...

Last edited by Sheel : 10th September 2014 at 10:04.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 10:07   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Beats me, but my Figo D with 33,500 kms and approx 40 months of usage, still doesn't smoke. And this is not the only exception, the Yeti doesn't smoke as well. Though Yeti is always driven with a heavy foot and Figo rarely sees revs over 2,100-2,200. Might be an exception.
That's the reason it doesn't smoke.
Even the MJD's dont belch out any smoke at 2000-2400 RPM.
The User Manual of the Figo recommends to rev the engine till 3K at least once a week; then check for smoke
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote