Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th September 2014, 10:12   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The User Manual of the Figo recommends to rev the engine till 3K at least once a week; then check for smoke
That practice is done, religiously, in 5th gear, for over a minute, but just for that. Still it doesn't.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 10:32   #482
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That practice is done, religiously, in 5th gear, for over a minute, but just for that. Still it doesn't.
In 5th gear you are going too fast to observe any smoke spewing out.

Try Wide Open throttle from low rpm all the way to 4000 or so rpm in second gear (better yet, 1st gear. But I dont know if you'll be open to doing that). No need for anyone behind you to confirm. You'll be able to see the smoke screen in your IRVM.

Same with the Yeti.

Last edited by rangakishen : 10th September 2014 at 10:33.
rangakishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 10:32   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Without reading previous posts of this thread - here's my reply to the question asked.

NO! Not even if diesel is further subsidised to 50% of petrol, because a) its' unethical as per my conscience and b) hate the rattles / vibrations, the resulting noise and thick black smoke.
I absolutely second this. I am no auto techie, but the first thing about Diesel cars (or any other Diesel vehicle) is about the bad mushy smoke and smell that they leave behind. Talk about leaving a bad taste in mouth (and in other parts). Yesterday I saw a White Sunny Diesel belching black mushy smoke, soaking everyone behind in soot, with two wheeler guys getting bathed behind cursing the car owner. I would never want to be that guy. In addition, I am sure Diesel provides other "comforts" such as noise and vibration (when compared to Petrol). Noise, smell, vibration and smoke. Enough said - Even with the current refinements offered in new Diesels, these things are just the basic nature of Diesel vehicle. No offence to anyone. We all have reasons to do things that we do.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 10th September 2014 at 10:34.
bsdbsd is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 10:53   #484
BHPian

Petrol anyday!
Nothing can match the high revving nature of Petrol engines.

I currently drive a spirited diesel steed but I would nt think if I have to trade my car for a Petrol or a Turbo Petrol.

The wait is on for a good performance oriented Petrol car that can take our breath away
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 10:58   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
I absolutely second this. I am no auto techie, but the first thing about Diesel cars (or any other Diesel vehicle) is about the bad mushy smoke and smell that they leave behind. Talk about leaving a bad taste in mouth (and in other parts). Yesterday I saw a White Sunny Diesel belching black mushy smoke, soaking everyone behind in soot, with two wheeler guys getting bathed behind cursing the car owner. I would never want to be that guy. In addition, I am sure Diesel provides other "comforts" such as noise and vibration (when compared to Petrol). Noise, smell, vibration and smoke. Enough said - Even with the current refinements offered in new Diesels, these things are just the basic nature of Diesel vehicle. No offence to anyone. We all have reasons to do things that we do.
Good Points there.

Would just like to let you know of a few points, if you dint know them already.

Almost all modern diesels smoke. Agreed. But only under HARD acceleration. Under normal driving conditions, they arent that bad.

I can assure you, none of the modern diesels will have any smell inside the cabin unless there's something wrong with the car, or you're parked in a closed space with your windows open.

And coming to vibrations, yes in general sense they do vibrate more when compared to petrols, but you would have to look at different vehicles. All diesels cannot be classified as noisy these days. Example the I20 diesel. My god! It purrs like a kitten. No vibrations whatsoever and once warmed up, on a regular road, even from the outside you'd be hardpressed to tell that the engine is turning over.

So yes, generally speaking they are a bit more noisy (especially some like the Figo or Rapid), But there are others which are better.

This is post is just meant to give you a complete picture (again only if you dint know all this already). No offence meant to anyone.
rangakishen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 11:23   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
I'd like to point out that for people who like to put the pedal to the metal, Petrol engines lose 40 to 45% mileage but diesel cars lose only 10 to 15 %
So true, Main reason why i still like diesels even if both prices were same.

Scenario 1
Remapped Skoda RS(240bhp) vs Remapped Optra Magnum(150bhp)
In one of our spirited drives from Bangalore to Coimbatore rs was way behind.
Not because he can't keep up with us but if he keeps up he can literally see his fuel gauge needle going downwards.

Scenario 2
BMW 535i vs Remapped Optra Magnum(150bhp)
Another spirited drive was from Bangalore to Lepakshi (125kms)
Just to keep up with Optra Magnum he lost 1 full tank of petrol, Distance was just 125 kms.

Scenario 3
Polo GT tsi
Drove it spiritedly for around 55 kms and 1/4 tank of petrol is emptied.

Summary : It all depends on every individual requirements.
I would like to buy petrol only if
- I want to drive < 100 kmph or if
- I would'nt mind spending more money for the revving nature of petrol engines.
brraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 11:33   #487
Team-BHP Support

Voted NO. As someone with two petrol cars, you'd imagine it'd have happened earlier .

The simple fact is...I'm very used to quiet, clean, high-revving petrol cars and shifting to diesel just for the sake of saving money never really appealed to me. That does NOT mean I won't upgrade to a silky smooth German diesel monster someday! Just means that the artificial demand for diesel cars will now ebb and cars can compete on their merits rather than what organic fuel is running them.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 11:40   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
I'm comparing a 105Bhp Diesel to a 105 Bhp petrol and saying the first one wins.
I think you are missing the whole point.

The whole argument that everyone is making that cc-to-cc a turbo petrol has a much better power output compared to a diesel. No one claimed a lower capacity petrol would always beat a higher capacity diesel.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 11:45   #489
Senior - BHPian

Small cars - definitely diesel. Reason - diesels in small cars are turbocharged. I'm so used to driving turbocharged now that I do not enjoy driving small engined naturally aspirated petrols anymore. Add to that cars like old i10 Kappa fetch only 10-11 kmpl in the city, I find no reason to like a small engined NA petrol.

But yeah, the equation is totally different if we start getting turbocharged petrols in every car. The one I've driven recently - the Ecoboost! Its such a gem of an engine.

Only thing that tilts the decision in favor of diesels is turbocharged diesels tend to be more fuel efficient than turbocharged petrols when driven hard.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 11:58   #490
BHPian

Voted Yes.

My 2 cents on this:
1. Diesel is 'almost always' more fuel efficient that Petrol in similar segments (Why? Diesel fuel has a high energy content, and when compressed releases more energy in the process as compared to Petrol)

2. The Torque and Power to weight ratio is always better in a Diesel Engine

3. Emission: The biggest problem most people have - but I do not believe it for a minute. A badly maintained car will emit a lot of smoke, it does not matter if it is a Diesel or a Petrol. Add to the fact that, Diesels actually cause less pollution as they use less fuel to cover similar distances, so the CO2 emitted is lower than that of Petrol engines.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 12:00   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I think you are missing the whole point.

The whole argument that everyone is making that cc-to-cc a turbo petrol has a much better power output compared to a diesel. No one claimed a lower capacity petrol would always beat a higher capacity diesel.
Yeah that's common sense right. cc-to-cc, turbo petrol will have a better power output but diesel will have a better torque output. I thought we wanted to see what was faster...
holysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 12:08   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
Good Points there.

Would just like to let you know of a few points, if you dint know them already.
This is post is just meant to give you a complete picture (again only if you dint know all this already). No offence meant to anyone.
Thank you ranga for the insights. Over a period of time in life, we would have observed and experienced somethings, and they would develop into our opinions and perceptions, which will form an indelible impression in our minds. In many cases, perception is reality.

I thought that Diesels belch smoke only under soft acceleration. The Nissan Sunny I saw yesterday accelerated from 0-20 in our great Bangalore traffic, and it left a lot of evidence behind! I have seen innumerable Diesel vehicles leaving smoke behind in daily driving conditions. Please note that my perception includes ALL Diesel vehicles, and not just cars. Newer cars are certainly more refined than Indica taxis, Tempo Travellers, Buses and Lorries. But for an casual observer, the difference between a soft and hard acceleration will be lost in front of (or behind) the smoke.

You are correct wrt vibrations. But they still vibrate more than Petrols due to the nature of the engine. I dont want the vibration character of the cabin left to the whims and fancies (in a good fashion) of a manufacturer. I want the inherent traits or the concepts of a technology to neutralize these aspects. Ditto about the noise. You need to be a bystander to experience the smell it leaves behind. Inside cabins should be ok.

Extreme, ethical view alert!: I dont want to shortchange petrol drivers by buying lower priced Diesel when I can afford to buy Petrol at current prices. Call me stupid! All in good faith people. Doesn't mean that the current Diesel drivers are shortchanging, but its just my position on Diesel. Subsidies have their position in society, which we all know. Once again, to each his/her own.

For people driving longer distances, Diesel purchase is justified purely on mileage / FE alone. Subsidy considerations do not apply here.
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 12:25   #493
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer diesel only on butch, boxy, truck-like body-on-ladder SUVs, as I'm a fan of old school SUVs. And I would prefer petrol sedan for smooth cruising. I personally feel the only advantage diesel car has is fuel eonomy. I don't buy this much touted torque thing because petrol cars are no slouch. In any case comparisons between turbo-ed diesels and NA petrols is unfair. For past one decade, focus has been only on diesel technology and petrol cars were like also-rans. This skewed things towards diesels. BTW, this turbo thing ends as soon as it comes on. It doesn't last long, as has been aptly illustrated by Sheel.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 12:43   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Yeah that's common sense right. cc-to-cc, turbo petrol will have a better power output but diesel will have a better torque output. I thought we wanted to see what was faster...
Of course we are saying which one is faster! I thought that was common sense.

The claim is that cc-to-cc , turbo petrol is faster than a diesel. If you disagree, give me an example of a diesel which is faster than a turbo petrol on the same cubic capacity. I can give you a long list of turbo petrols which are significantly faster than respective diesels.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 10th September 2014 at 12:47.
SkyWalker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 12:46   #495

For someone having used petrol cars all his "driving" life, I just bought my first diesel in Amaze. Criteria - somehow, the necessary (read basic) safety features, specifically ABS, is in all variants of diesel, but only in the top variant for petrol. Thus, My choice was reduced to either going for top-variant petrol or mid-variant diesel, keeping the price as common denominator.
My decision was with diesel for, at the same price of the car, I could buy a relatively cheaper fuel (however small the difference is), I could get a better mileage and probably, I could get a better re-sale value. As an environmental engineer myself, I see that the pollution caused by diesel is more than that of petrol isn't true since on the energy scale, diesel is less consumed than petrol for the same energy output.
rsarunkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote