Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th September 2014, 12:59   #496
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Still depends on usage. Diesels for those who take a lot of highways and high running. For this lot of people, Diesels are economical and also perform well on highways due to its heavy weight nature.
Diesel engines easily matches the specified ARAI figures but petrol most cases won't.

Petrols for those who drives alot in city.

Performance wise high capacity/turbo charged Petrol delivers best, but on mileage front it gives negative effects.
Puny petrol engine with low torque doesn't match Diesel's any day.

For example, take Swift VDI and VXI, on a highway run VDI out performs VXI both on performance front and mileage front. same is the case for Figo TDCI and Figo P.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 13:04   #497
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Scenario 3
Polo GT tsi
Drove it spiritedly for around 55 kms and 1/4 tank of petrol is emptied.

Summary : It all depends on every individual requirements.
I would like to buy petrol only if
- I want to drive < 100 kmph or if
- I would'nt mind spending more money for the revving nature of petrol engines.
+1. If i also add my 2 cents on how FE is effected on spirited driving

When i test drove the Polo TSI for the official review of Team-BHP, onboard FE was showing 7kmpl....and this was not my usual spirited driving but, basically gunning the engine to some extent to keep the car in the revv band since its a puny 1.2 turbo engine. But, i was pleasantly surprised by that cars performance

My Cruze is fitted with RD Box and iam sure in P2 mode would be nearly 200BHP and I drive 90% in spirited mode and after the box fitment my FE has gone up to 12kmpl and when i drive spirited, worse FE is 11kmpl

Having said above, some diesel cars are as much fun as petrol for spirited driving and as many rightly said emit less pollution and also save you a small packet in fuel consumption
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 13:51   #498
BHPian

Was going thru the posts with a lot of interest.
Lot has been discussed about the monthly running, torque etc. to justify the diesel cars.

Let me turn the question a bit --
Are car makers justified in charging the premium for diesel cars to the tune of 100k or more?
Is it really due to higher manufacturing costs only - if so, is the difference so much?

For a layman - there are two data points -- initial cost of ownership and mileage. Big difference in fuel prices justified premium pricing.
Does it make sense now?

As a petrol car owner for last 10 years (M-800, Indica, Zen and Alto) and with a driving style which hardly takes me in three digits even in exp. way , torque, pull etc. hardly matters to me.

PS : Not sure if it was asked / addressed in posts earlier. Could not see that in last 5 pages or so of my browsing.
advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 14:12   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Are car makers justified in charging the premium for diesel cars to the tune of 100k or more?
No, not at all. The manufacturers just got greedy. Our craze for diesel cars did that. And not content with charging nearly 1 lakh more, they also started under-speccing diesels. No rear wash/wipe, thin tyres, no ACC etc.etc. I was told petrol cars cost more in Europe than diesel. Even in India I read about some model ( was it Merc or Skoda, I don't remember ) which costs more than the diesel variant. Anyway, petrol price reduction should put an end to their greed now.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 14:30   #500
BHPian

Diesels were never to my liking and probably will never be, for the following reasons:

1. High premium.
2. Maintenance and EXTRA CARE(feel free to correct me)
3. Noisy engines (yeah, not all but when compared to petrol counterparts).
4. More of a query this one, hope experts can answer it- Without bringing emission converters/norms into picture, isn't a Diesel's exhaust more dangerous/pollutive than petrol's?

P.S: To add more DIESEL to the fire
http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2012/...uting-to-smog/

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/j...s-worse-petrol

Moreover if diesels are that worthy, then all the automobiles in the world (cars especially) would have ONLY been diesels.

P.P.S: The above views are my personal and they definitely aren't meant to offend anyone.
wheeledsoul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 14:30   #501
Senior - BHPian

Having had both Petrol and Diesel variants of Swift in our house I would buy the diesel model even if diesel cost more than Petrol. Having driven extensively on highways the petrol just doesn't cut it for me.

Diesel is easier to drive in city traffic as well as far more comfortable during the highway drives. Not sure if there was a turbo-charged petrol then how it would pan out but for now diesel any day till the time it is a Swift.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 14:35   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
going off topic here, but how much will diesel increase by if it is not subsidized?
I believe it's just INR 4.5 to 5 per litre subsidy that is left over diesel which is likely to be nullified soon due to reducing crude oil prices globally and the .50 paisa increase per month which started months ago.

Last edited by Slush_Traveller : 10th September 2014 at 14:36.
Slush_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 14:40   #503
BHPian

i would say a lot depends on the usage and personal preference

I have had a number of petrol and diesel cars, and would buy diesels for
1. SUVs - love the big diesels and the wave of torque they bring. I have owned a safari and have had great times driving the big old school 3.0 Dicor.
2. Mile munchers - if i have to drive a car for lakhs of kilometers, it would be a diesel, and alot of current ones are quite refined. currently own a Laura 2.0 TDI DSG, which is driven between 50-100 km a day, and I love the car for its versatility

but, you really cant beat the refinement of petrol cars. I drove a friend's Laura 1.8 TSI and mine felt like a truck. even with the puny 1.2 engine, the GT TSI feels very fast and brings a feeling of lightness and nimbleness, and sweet sounding purr rather than clatter. The turbo petrols offer the same kind of 'kick' that the diesels offer and IMO are more FTD.

but again, as has been discussed in the thread, it is more of a personal choice
lalittalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 14:47   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledsoul View Post
You are right!

Further, Diesel fumes are carcinogenic. I don't know if this was not brought up earlier.

Further links:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-1...ogenic/4068414

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...diesel-exhaust

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-18415532

CO2 exaust is not the only means of judging pollution. There is particulate matter and carcinogens in that black (and not so black) fumes.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 15:12   #505
BHPian

I would own a Diesel anyday over a petrol car.... unless the Diesel fuel price rise is higher by more than 25% over petrol.

Last I was driving Spark and UVA giving out a respectable mileage of 15 and 13. Since the time i have bought a diesel in Micra. Now this micra diesel as per my fuelio is giving mileage almost 20 (19.6 KMPL to be precise) that too with big K9K engine.

Not even refined engine petrol cars like Brio, Beat, WagonR, I10 were giving mileage like this. Most of the Small hatches will deliver Mileage in the range of 14-18 KMPL while talk to a refined diesel car owner like FIAT/Suzuki/GM (for Beat) / Renault-Nissan... all will tell that mileage is more in the range of 18-23 KMPL.

Engine Noise Notwithstanding, price differential notwithstanding, i would still go for diesel purely for the mileage. Lower price of diesel and spirited highway running is additional incentive. After-all heartburn for 1Lakh one time vs Heartburn every-time you visit the Pump... I will always prefer the first one. After Purchasing the car i don't have to worry about the fuel bill nowadays. Total Mann-Ki-Shaanti. I rest my case now.
anu21v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 15:13   #506
BHPian

I voted "NO". Here's my view on the whole thing.
  • Petrol cars are cheaper to buy (Main reason)
  • Less noisy
  • Less vibrations
  • Most diesel cars have a hard clutch which leads to fatigue

Apart from these have read a lot of views on performance, mileage, maintenance and pollution in the posts earlier and from the view of an aam aadmi, no pun intended, all these do not really make a difference that much.

Let me explain

Performance : What I look for is the ability of the car to move when I want it move and at the speed I want it to move. Have never really stretched a car to its limits. Outright performance is a niche segment and an aam aadmi really does not look for mind-blowing performance.

Mileage : There are petrol cars that give a decent mileage with decent drivability. Choose the one that fits you.

Maintenance : Even the best of cars break down if not maintained properly and can be expensive to repair. Conversely, even the worst of cars last a long time if maintained properly.

Pollution : All vehicles pollute. Period. Just because you do not "see" the pollution coming out of a petrol car does not mean it is any less polluting than a diesel car.
BeantownThinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 15:47   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post

Most diesel cars have a hard clutch which leads to fatigue
Yesss. Why has anyone not mentioned this? Three years of diesel car usage made me run away from manuals and now I'm hopelessly hooked on to automatics. Those clutches will kill you.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 16:19   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
No, not at all. The manufacturers just got greedy. Our craze for diesel cars did that.
Any business' primary goal is to maximize their profits. A manufacturer creates a product and sets a price, and as long as customers exist to buy the product that serve their needs, their pricing is justified.

So, its not the manufacturer that got greedy, but its the general people that got greedy about saving extra money while riding the coattails of subsidies. Now we all know how that turned out.
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 16:35   #509
BHPian

It depends on the cars in question.

Suppose one is to choose between 2 cars in the same segment. For example , vento diesel to Honda city petrol.

If the prices of both fuel were at par , I think i would go for the city petrol.

Simply because , less noisy , lower maintenance and better resale value. Petrol cars in some parts of the country have better resale value after certain odometer readings.

A diesel with mileage of 100,000 kms will be harder to sell when compared to a petrol at this reading because after a certain usage diesel engines are bound to ask for more maintenance.

So the bottom line as many have said - it all depends on individual scenarios.
Padcot Prakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 19:40   #510
BHPian

The pollution of petrol cars vs diesel cars have been debated upon in many forums and studies one after the other have inclined towards either side.

Earlier it was believed petrol cars emitted less smoke and thus less polluting than dirty diesel cars. Then it was found that though it emits less visible smoke, exhaust from petrol cars contain more toxic materials and car makers in EU started developing diesel motors and make it more efficient. Sometime later further studies proved that diesel exhaust has carcinogenic materials. And our forum discussion has reached here. But studies and researched haven't stopped there either. The latest I have read on this topic passes the blame again back to Direct Injection petrol cars. Below is the matter quoted from the following link: http://www.transportenvironment.org/...-dirty-diesels.

"New Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) petrol engines for cars emit more cancer-causing particles than modern diesel engines, a new study by independent vehicle researchers TÜV Nord revealed today. While GDI engines make petrol cars more fuel-efficient and emit less CO2, the findings show that these new petrol engines typically release around 1,000 times more harmful particles than traditional petrol engines and 10 times more than new diesels."

This is from a press release in Nov 2013. All the links provided supporting cleaner petrol engines in other posts are older than this. To read further, please click on the link above. Anyone who knows about any further studies, please share it.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 10th September 2014 at 19:49.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote