Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th September 2014, 20:59   #511
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

With diesel costing more every month and the price of petrol falling, the over 1 lakh premium for diesel vehicles doesnot make economic sense. In addition, the higher cost of maintainance including tyre life, cost of spares and service, higher cost of batteries, filters etc. adds to the cost of maintaining a diesel vehicle. The feel good factor is only when you pay less for a full tank for a diesel vehicle compared to the other fellow filling his petrol tank. When something is cheaper, we tend to use it more, so in the long run I would stay with petrol vehicles.
SajiNSalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 10:30   #512
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

I would probably keep 1 diesel hatch as a run around car around the house. Other than that I think the refinement of a petrol motor is unbeatable . And if the cost is same I see no compelling reason to drive a diesel car. Fuel mileage as a factor becomes less important after you cross a certain price bracket of cars.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 10:31   #513
BHPian

Would I buy a diesel car if Diesel was priced closed to Petrol? Sure, why not!

If the car in question was a VW Jetta, or an Audi A3/A4, or a Bimmer 320d/530d, or a Merc even, with a world class auto like the DSG or a DCT, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Would I buy a diesel car if Diesel was priced closed to Petrol & the car in question is a crummy little hatchback with a manual transmission? Nope.

Would I buy a diesel car if Diesel was priced closed to Petrol & the car in question is a B/C segment sedan with a manual transmission? Nope.

In short, I'd get a diesel car from the top end of the market. No hatchbacks or B/C segment cars for me running on Diesel. Could not care less about running costs.
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 13:43   #514
BHPian

To sum up:

Advantages (in general):
Diesels:
1. More Torque.
2. Fuel efficient.
3. Low running costs (not maintenance)

Petrols:
1. Silent and vibrations free.
2. Maintenance.
3. Less polluting (comparatively)

Disadvantages:
Diesel:
1. High premium.
2. Extra care and maintenance.
3. Wee bit heavier. (no?!)
4. More pollutive. (debatable though).

Petrol:
1. Fuel efficiency.
2. Running costs.
3. Torque.

People can feel free to add/delete/edit the above.

A query for the experts: which is more easier to cold start, a diesel or a petrol?
wheeledsoul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 13:51   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledsoul View Post
A query for the experts: which is more easier to cold start, a diesel or a petrol?
I guess diesel should be easier to get itself cranked on cold day as compared to petrol.

The glow plugs will do the job in helping the start.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 13:58   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledsoul View Post
Petrolhead: Coldstart problem? What is that?

Broadly speaking, Petrol engines have battery fired sparks to initiate combustion. So unless the battery is weak, the combustion should take place without much difficulty even in cold climates. Diesel on the other hand requires the fuel to vaporize and gain ignition temp (under pressure) and self ignite. In very low temperatures when the cold air mixes with the fuel, it becomes difficult to attain this ignition temp. Further, the gel point of a Diesel is much higher than petrol and hence it tends to solidify earlier under extreme cold.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 11th September 2014 at 13:59.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 12:53   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I just love the way T-jet drives johy, but I think you must really experience the way a GT TDI (1.6) delivers Power.

I am not comparing or complaining T-Jet here, but if you have not tried the 1.6 GT TDI, you are missing the comparison basis completely.
I agree, it is a fast hatchback. I was speaking of Sedans. But I won't take it away from the 1.6 GT TDI. What is lacks is a soul. Feedback. Feel. Which the T-Jet has. And the sweetest turbo whine I have heard in Indian car in this price bracket, I have driven.

I am a Porshe GT3 gasoline kind of person, so you will understand what I look for in a car.

Last edited by johy : 13th September 2014 at 13:00.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 23:41   #518
BHPian

For the current drives in the family, I hedged the bets - one diesel, one petrol.

Would I buy diesel again ? Yes, why not. It would depend a lot on which car, and which engine, however.

Diesel maintenance costs, unless there are failures, are not prohibitively expensive compared to petrol any more, for an annual cost of 7-8k for petrol vs 9-10k for diesel, it's not a deal breaker.
Diesel fuel efficiency still beats that of petrol, getting a useful 600-800km on a tankful vs 400-500km for petrol cars helps the long distance or high mileage drivers spend less time at the pump.

Then, there's the diesel torque. A colleague is buying a car, and I took several test drives with him, some petrol and some diesel , among the more recent ones being Toyota Liva D, i20 diesel (2nd gen) , i20 elite petrol , and Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI. The Hyundai petrol felt the most reluctant to move in a hurry. Now I drive a TJet, and have no doubt a good petrol is way more eager , but the current diesels are hard to disqualify given how much refinement they have gained , while offering good driveability and fuel economy.

Last edited by Ricci : 13th September 2014 at 23:44.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 00:04   #519
BHPian

To be frank I never expected the poll to so neck and neck, thought that the pertolheads would easily outnumber 'dieselheads', but boy, I was mistaken. After going through the thread I really felt that it all comes down to a matter of personal preference. Trying to summarise some keypoints:

1) Fun to drive - For petrol lovers its all about that 'pedal to the metal' feeling, linear power delivery throughout the rev band and last but not the least, that sweet engine note while revving hard. For diesel guys it the massive torque and sudden surge of power when turbo kicks in and the badass grunt of the bad boy under the hood.

2) Economy/Fuel efficiency - For petrol lovers the lower initial cost is what matters, frequent gas station visits and higher (slightly) fuel prices doesn't concern them. For diesel dudes, the 'phew' feeling everytime he pays less while refilling and the 'fill it-shut it-forget it' attitude after a full tank refill is what matters.

3) NVH - The real clash starts here. Petrol heads are real particular about this aspect. Silky smooth and fairly silent engine is what they want. Like it or not, the diesel guys have to live with the typical 'diesel knock'.

4) Maintenance - Eventhough the modern diesel engines are well tuned and require very less maintenance, the pre and post drive idling which has to be followed religiously (by everyone who love their turbocharges) can become annoying at times, especially during frequent start-stops. Petrol engines win hands down here.

5) Pollution - I really think that a comparison based on pollution caused by the respective fuels is totally irrelevant. Of course one can bring it up for the sake of argument but at the end of the day if you have a valid PUC, you're good to go.

Anymore points?
RiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 00:14   #520
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I personally love diesel cars! My dad has always owned only diesels and I have gone down a very similar path with a Dzire first and now a Rapid.

But the fact is that the diesel variants are expensive by over a lakh today and even as a hard core diesel fan( the rapid's TDI will put some of the petrol engines to shame), I feel that the differential is way too much and with the fuel prices narrowing down, one has to think really hard before getting a diesel. May be it's time manufacturers did reduce the prices of diesel variants. It would be a Shame otherwise since some of them would have spent on R&D except Maruti of course!
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 14:59   #521
BHPian

Yes. I'd pick a diesel

I was running into the same dilemma a few weeks back. The price of diesel was hiked to 58.xx and that of petrol dropped to 68.xx from 72.xx.
My confusion was between the Beat P vs D.
The difference was about Rs. 80K and I ran though the Pros of each:

Petrol Beat Pros:
- 4 cyl, so less vibrations
- Lower maintenance
- Lower upfront cost
- NVH

Diesel Beat Pros:
- Higher FE, more than 25% compared to the Petrol variant. If ran a lot, then it would be able to reach the break even sooner
- Higher ground clearance (Specific to Beat only)
- Wider rubbers (Specific to Beat only)
- Forced induction (Turbo charger)
- Lower emissions (Because of the forced induction)

Considering the higher ground clearance and the wider rubbers, the difference between the two cars can be considered closer than the existing Rs. 80K. And, both, reaching the break-even and deciding on the fuel variant became easier.

Now if both the petrol and diesel Beats (or any other car for that matter) were priced equal and the Govt. priced both the fuels too at an equal, I won't even have to go through the trouble of doing the math.

DIESEL would be my pick.

P.S.: I'm not hungry for the power and torque figures. For those who are worried about the lap times for the diesel vs petrol, have you driven the Polo 1.5 TDI lately?
MaheshY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 10:48   #522
BHPian

Based on this study by CRISIL, it says that with the price differential between petrol and diesel narrowing sharply, the extra money paid to buy a diesel variant no longer makes economic sense.

The share of diesel variants in total domestic sales of passenger cars and utility vehicles has started falling since peaking at 58 per cent in fiscal year 2012-13, according to Crisil. The research agency expects the percentage of diesel vehicle sales to fall to 45 per cent for this fiscal year (2014-15) while petrol vehicles increasing their share to 55 %.

Read the full article-http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industri...om=home-latest
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 11:14   #523
BHPian

I think another point that people consider while deciding between a petrol cart or a diesel car is the resale value. The used car industry is biased against the petrol cars and diesel engines generally demand higher value than their petrol versions. Compare the swift for example you won't find it difficult to sell a reasonably used diesel one but not so easy for the petrol variant.
dhruv45in is offline   Reply With Quote