Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2005, 00:04   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Ford mondeo was a failure at 16 lakhs. Wonder how octavia will sell at 19lakhs.

In A'bad I saw 6-7 camrys which is priced at 17lakhs. I assume I will see some 2-3 fools buying a octavia at 18lakhs.
devarshi84 is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 10:37   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,554
Thanked: 815 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
was it the one in silver color with roof mounted antena?
(by new i think you mean new model)

if yes then thats TDI
Yes. Its the same car.
sajo is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 12:14   #48
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Just another confirmation of this pricing - According to Tafe Access in Bangalore the new Octy is going to be priced at "somewhere between 17 and 18 lakhs". As far as the new RS is concerned "we don't know if/when the RS version will be launched".

Personally I think that's just obscene.

But then I think the current RS at 15.75 on road in Bangalore is obscene.
kroner is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 13:56   #49
BANNED
 
MrBoombastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroner
Just another confirmation of this pricing - According to Tafe Access in Bangalore the new Octy is going to be priced at "somewhere between 17 and 18 lakhs". As far as the new RS is concerned "we don't know if/when the RS version will be launched".

Personally I think that's just obscene.

But then I think the current RS at 15.75 on road in Bangalore is obscene.
I think the current price for the current model of the Skoda Octavia RS which barely offers any seating comfort (front and rear) is obscene too. Good thinking Kroner and thanks for the confirmation from your side too.

Also, I just got news from the dealer here that the 2006 Skoda Octavia RS will be launched around the same time the diesel is launched, but there is no news about the pricing of the RS model as yet.
MrBoombastic is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 14:35   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
ST7677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Folks the expected price of 18-19 lakhs information is correct and is for Octavia - II 2.0 TDI with DSG on Road in Bangalore (and not the Superb).
Bangalore has one of the highest tax structure, so the same may be available in Delhi or some other city for 1-2 lakhs lesser.

Inspite of non-existent sales, Skoda has decided against cutting price for Superb and with Octavia - II being positioned to fill the gap between Octavia 1 and Superb, you can get the message.

Skoda is going strong on the pricing because 1. they are not targetting volumes (are happy with 3 digit monthly sales) 2. Octavia - II is based on the latest A5 platform, and to a large extent is an Audi which in India sells at twice the price. 3. A different branding for the car is not ruled out yet

One thing which is not clear is which model this price is for, for the base model or for L&K equivalent, which will make or break the deal.

Other thing which is strongly suspected (though not accepted) is reduction in prices of current Octavia to accomodate the octavia - II at a slightly lower price point.

Brandwise Skoda is positioned as a more premium brand than Honda or Toyota in India so expected the pricing to reflect that.
ST7677 is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 16:36   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,719
Thanked: 89,186 Times
Default

The irony is that Skoda will have four cars (if the Fabia is launched) which look SO identical.

May work for Mercedes, but not for Skoda.

GTO
GTO is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 19:33   #52
BANNED
 
MrBoombastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The irony is that Skoda will have four cars (if the Fabia is launched) which look SO identical.

May work for Mercedes, but not for Skoda.

GTO
Just what I was thinking this evening.

First, the Sonata Embera was a major let down as the Indian Sonata Embera is so stripped down (Forget EBD and TCS, there are no audio controls on the steering wheel even) and now, the pricing of the 2006 Skoda Octavia is making things worse... I mean people would rather go in for the Honda Accord V6 if the price of the new Skoda Octavia RS is going to be around 18 lakhs. What makes things even more tough for me are that the Mercedes C Class is full of silly-ass problems and both, the Mercedes C Class and the Honda Accord are due for a new model in 2007. I think I will have to end up driving the Honda Civic in 2006 (assuming Honda launches the Honda Civic in India - I've been hearing about it's launch right from mid 2003)
MrBoombastic is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 20:36   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
veyron1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Sorry, but i don't agree. The new Octi will just not sell at that price. Remember, the only reason the Octi was a success was because it was percieved as giving superior value for the money spent on it.
yup, but the keyword here- perception; look at the NHC- who thought it would garner so much sales that would command a waiting period of upto 4 months...??

the new octy is expected to overcome the only chink it's armour- passenger comfort and space; and though it may seem like the octy-dwiteeya won't sell, i'm damn sure it will....but yes, skoda will tarnish it's image among it's enthusiast admirers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
I still feel the salesman may have confused the Superb price cut with the new Octy launch
methinks exactomondo...but this is india (and that's skoda),so anything can happen...

Last edited by veyron1 : 26th October 2005 at 20:38.
veyron1 is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 21:54   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

Quote:
Folks the expected price of 18-19 lakhs information is correct and is for Octavia - II 2.0 TDI with DSG on Road in Bangalore
The pricing will make tremendous sense if the car has what you are saying it will have. 2.0 TDI with 140 hp and DSG, I tell you it's fantastic Value for money. I would buy the car at this price if it has the 2.0 TDI with DSG. Take it from someone who has expereniced DSG (Driven: VW Jetta DSG!) , the car is going to ROCK!! I'd say sheer VFM at 18-19 Lacs.
amit is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 22:20   #55
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

What petrol engine are they going to use for India? NA market gets an inline 5 cyl 2.5liter which is supposed to be one half of a Lamborghini engine. Power is same as old 1.8T.
Mpower is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 22:25   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
adya33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
The pricing will make tremendous sense if the car has what you are saying it will have. 2.0 TDI with 140 hp and DSG, I tell you it's fantastic Value for money. I would buy the car at this price if it has the 2.0 TDI with DSG. Take it from someone who has expereniced DSG (Driven: VW Jetta DSG!) , the car is going to ROCK!! I'd say sheer VFM at 18-19 Lacs.
when giving out 18L people expect their car to give them exclusive feel

people dont want their car to look like 12L car
this is exactly what is wrong with Superb

besides Skoda is no Rolls Royce to sell 500 cars and still make profit on it
adya33 is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 22:48   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

Quote:
when giving out 18L people expect their car to give them exclusive feel
Don't you think DSG gearbox is exclusive? It's the second fastest shifting gear in the world. For example, the Jetta 2.0 Turbo Manual goes from 0-100 in 7.2 seconds and the Jetta 2.0 Auto DSG goes from 0-100 in 6.9 seconds. You have to expereince the seamless shifting DSG to know what that technology is. But you do have a point. Unfortunately, at that price, the Octavia is going to be chauffer driven. The owner couldn't care less about DSG. What he would look for is back seat comfort, rear A/c vents and maybe leather seats. The driver of course will never know what the hell DSG is. And the beautiful technology of DSG will be lost in the Indian market place. And then Indians complain that companies don't give them technology thats avaliable abroad. To me the Octavia II will be excellent VFM if the price of 18L is for the 2.0 TDi with DSG transmission.
amit is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 23:00   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
adya33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Don't you think DSG gearbox is exclusive? It's the second fastest shifting gear in the world. For example, the Jetta 2.0 Turbo Manual goes from 0-100 in 7.2 seconds and the Jetta 2.0 Auto DSG goes from 0-100 in 6.9 seconds. You have to expereince the seamless shifting DSG to know what that technology is. But you do have a point. Unfortunately, at that price, the Octavia is going to be chauffer driven. The owner couldn't care less about DSG. What he would look for is back seat comfort, rear A/c vents and maybe leather seats. The driver of course will never know what the hell DSG is. And the beautiful technology of DSG will be lost in the Indian market place. And then Indians complain that companies don't give them technology thats avaliable abroad. .
only performance doesn't sell
RS will blow away Accord 2.4
but which sells more?
DSG might be the best thing in the world but no one in their right mind would give 18L for that
like I said Superb is a great car, but no one wants people asking them "so you stretched octivia?"
besides just think this way
out of approx 3400 members on this forum you are 1 saying you will buy & that too 3400 automobile forum members
adya33 is offline  
Old 26th October 2005, 23:27   #59
BANNED
 
MrBoombastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 2 Times
Thumbs up

adya 33 and amit, brilliant!! adya33 thinks like my head and amit like my heart
MrBoombastic is offline  
Old 27th October 2005, 00:21   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The irony is that Skoda will have four cars (if the Fabia is launched) which look SO identical.


GTO
ANY news on the Fabia?!


v1p3r is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013 JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 587 25th November 2013 16:37
BMW to launch the new Z4 roadster in November 2013 sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 7 15th November 2013 06:05
2006: TVR shutting shop. 2013: Re-launch Confirmed! ac 427 The International Automotive Scene 12 26th June 2013 08:29
Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011 .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 532 16th November 2011 10:11
10 World's Fastest Cars--polled in November 2006 and due this november VJ_MAVRICK The International Automotive Scene 0 27th August 2007 11:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks