Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th July 2010, 15:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Motorcity Madras

Nice article, petrol_head . Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

iii) Political Will.

This is a key factor which has resulted in this turn of events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
...while the Banagalore and Hyderbad were wooing IT companies. ...
Yes, right , BLR and HYD were busy wooing the IT companies, but Chennai got lucky with them . Chennai does have its fair share of IT companies as well.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 16th July 2010 at 15:57.
Old 16th July 2010, 16:44   #17
BHPian

Good, this adds an other feather in the cap for Chennai ;
Hopefully respective state governments wake up from slumber and support future activities with utmost zeal
Old 16th July 2010, 17:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

I think the Pune region was a contender but Chennai has the following advantages and hence leading the way in INDIA.

i) Seaport

ii) International Airport

iii) Political Will.

Regards,

Arka
Just because there is a Ford Plant , it does not make a 100% Indian city the Detroit of India.
Also I object to this statement. Pune too is home to lots of auto majors like GM , Mercedes Benz , TELCO (Trucks and cars) , Bajaj , Mahindra (Trucks) , VW. But still we don't call the Detroit of India or whatever...its still Pune. So IMHO Chennai should be called Chennai. I don't mind if you call Detroit the Chennai of the USA or Stuttgart as the Pune of Germany
Old 16th July 2010, 17:39   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread too will take a wrong turn like another one that witnessed similar scenes.

It is about magazines and its about surveys and we all know how they work.

This is another one from Financial Express (2006, so lets not argue now that the news is stale et al) and luckily no debates then.

Even the tagline is alost similar to that of this thread title!!

A Detroit rises in Pune

The fact remains that Chennai, Pune and the NCR have a substantial amount of Automobile and component industries and this is a well know fact which does not require a debate.

Its is good to see any Indian city growing leaps and bounds in terms of Industrialization.

OT again, I am suprised that Wikepedia has listed Pune and NCR below Jaipur in IT exports and many of us know the facts.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th July 2010 at 17:40.
Old 16th July 2010, 17:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately this thread is taking a wrong turn,
Its nice to note the achievements of cities like Pune and Chennai, as well as many other new and upcoming ones, but lets not turn this into an immature slagging contest as to mines better than yours.

As much as the location, the success is also due to the employees that arrive from different states as well as the customers that are spread all across the country. Honestly, if someone takes a look at the present state of Detroit, its not a city one will want to be associated to.
Old 16th July 2010, 17:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

I guess there's one more reason for why Chennai is being associated to Detroit apart from the auto manufacturing hub. It should be due to MMSC race track.
Old 16th July 2010, 18:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Gansan, the figures are from stpi website. Its for 2008-09

I guess when Americans are being introduced to a city that they dont know about, they have to relate to one of their own. So, Detroit of India is apt for them. Same with Silicon Valley of India. Nothing wrong.
Old 16th July 2010, 18:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Did you relate to Detroit when you came to know of it?

I was asked to change my name when I was working in Toronto. I helped them learn to pronounce it instead.

Would you prefer being called Shiva or something else?

and I would still say that Pune and Surrounding areas deserve the titles of motorcity instead.

It's a different matter that more auto enthusiasts are setup down south.
Old 16th July 2010, 21:52   #24
BHPian

One additional factor is the availability of trained man power, and work culture. Chennai has a scandalously large number of technical institutions around that can feed the auto and IT industries alike.
Old 16th July 2010, 21:58   #25
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Political influence and work culture is the key for Chennai's rise and the next factor being the sea port. But IMO the Gurgaon-Wazirpur-Noida-Ghaziabad belt in NCR is also a strong contender for the crown. Pune-Chakan belt coming next followed by Bangalore, Hyderabad and Kolkata.
Old 17th July 2010, 00:31   #26

IMHO

Chennai scores way above other cities not only for political policy continuity but also for the SEAPORT. U must understand FORD, et all have not opened shop purely for the Indian Mkt. It was opened primarily right from the begining for export. Ditto for other car cos. Cheap labour and a large educated work force was the key but yes the MAIN KEY was EXPORT at almost no cost. Hypothetically if PUNE was close to a SEAPORT it would have the bigger HUB since PUNE was home to Tata, Bajaj et all. It was already a established auto base. What drove many auto cos to Chennai was the SEAPORT for EXPORT. Think about it. Lets not have a slinging match as which city is better. PUNE or CHENNAI or even GURGAON. IMV all cities are equally good depending on the business criteria of the auto manufacturer. After all its money which matters not the CAR lol.
Old 17th July 2010, 01:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Did you relate to Detroit when you came to know of it?

I was asked to change my name when I was working in Toronto. I helped them learn to pronounce it instead.

Would you prefer being called Shiva or something else?

and I would still say that Pune and Surrounding areas deserve the titles of motorcity instead.

It's a different matter that more auto enthusiasts are setup down south.
I think it would be really incredible if chennai could produce about 15 lakh cars every year i.e. after Nissan starts producing its 4 lakh cars a year. Also it is important to note that 2 lakh people are employed by the industry.

However with the present yearly production does not seem to be even 7.1 lakh cars, it is better not to get trapped by this media given titles.

Here is a rough number of vehicles sold my various car manufacturers in chennai for April 2009 till March 2010.
Hyundai - 600,588
Ford - 100,000 (give or take a few)
BMW - 3000
Nissan - 1000?

Not sure how many significant others have i missed. Add to this if you have any figures
Old 17th July 2010, 02:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
One additional factor is the availability of trained man power, and work culture. Chennai has a scandalously large number of technical institutions around that can feed the auto and IT industries alike.
Thanks for bringing this point up. This is very important. To draw a parallel with the IT industry, with a spurt in hiring in that sector in Bangalore actually resulted in the very large number of Engineering colleges in Bangalore's vicinity.
Old 17th July 2010, 10:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I think it would be really incredible if chennai could produce about 15 lakh cars every year i.e. after Nissan starts producing its 4 lakh cars a year. Also it is important to note that 2 lakh people are employed by the industry.

However with the present yearly production does not seem to be even 7.1 lakh cars, it is better not to get trapped by this media given titles.

Here is a rough number of vehicles sold my various car manufacturers in chennai for April 2009 till March 2010.
Hyundai - 600,588
Ford - 100,000 (give or take a few)
BMW - 3000
Nissan - 1000?

Not sure how many significant others have i missed. Add to this if you have any figures
Bingo! now add the figures for Maruti Udyog, suzuki scooters, Yamaha, Hero Honda and Honda which are based around Gurgaon.

Then add the figures for Bajaj, Tata-Fiat, Mahindra& mahindra, Force Motors, Mahindra2wheelers, Mercedez-Benz, General Motors, Volkswagen, Premier ltd and many more.

From just numbers I would say Pune deserves the credit.
Old 17th July 2010, 10:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Bingo! now add the figures for Maruti Udyog, suzuki scooters, Yamaha, Hero Honda and Honda which are based around Gurgaon.

Then add the figures for Bajaj, Tata-Fiat, Mahindra& mahindra, Force Motors, Mahindra2wheelers, Mercedez-Benz, General Motors, Volkswagen, Premier ltd and many more.

From just numbers I would say Pune deserves the credit.
Detroit is known as the Motor City, and that's because of cars, not bikes. In my opinion, adding two wheeler numbers is not justified here. Yes, they are important, but not in this context.
Now do the math again with the 4lakh scaled up numbers of Nissan's production, and you'll know why Chennai is rightfully being hailed as the Detroit of India.

Pune has a fantastic culture of cars and bikes, and I'd still say that it's ahead in two wheelers, but for cars, it has to be Chennai. From motorsports to imports.
Closed Thread