Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th November 2005, 18:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid, Corsa is very much avaliable in developed countries of western Europe. It's the Santro of Germany. A car German's buy because it's cheap to buy and run with decent performance. Opel Corsa range starts from Euro 9,995 in Germany. This is for the base 1.0 engine I believe. That's approximately Rs. 5,69,000 (Eu 1= rs 57). Vauxhall Corsa 5 door 1.4L 16Valve in UK is about 11.765 pounds. Corsa 1.4L 5speed with A/C "comfort" model in South Africa is 110,000. I don't think corsa is over-priced in India. The car is avaliable in both develped and developing countries and price is also almost the same. Sure the Indian version is stripped of ABS etc but even if they give it as an option who will take it? Better to give biege interiors or leather seat options in India then ABS!

Last edited by amit : 12th November 2005 at 18:21.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 19:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Amit as far as i know my friend who got corsa 2003 model got ABS in his car. His model is 1.4l GSI. Costed him 5 lac with discounts. etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Steeroid, Corsa is very much avaliable in developed countries of western Europe. It's the Santro of Germany. A car German's buy because it's cheap to buy and run with decent performance. Opel Corsa range starts from Euro 9,995 in Germany. This is for the base 1.0 engine I believe. That's approximately Rs. 5,69,000 (Eu 1= rs 57). Vauxhall Corsa 5 door 1.4L 16Valve in UK is about 11.765 pounds. Corsa 1.4L 5speed with A/C "comfort" model in South Africa is 110,000. I don't think corsa is over-priced in India. The car is avaliable in both develped and developing countries and price is also almost the same. Sure the Indian version is stripped of ABS etc but even if they give it as an option who will take it? Better to give biege interiors or leather seat options in India then ABS!
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 19:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Man Cars costly coz of 2 reasons as far as i know.

1. Our Govt. eats more then they should. They take away around 40% of the car cost.
2. If you import car from outside it will cost you 105% - 150% of the car cost. 105% is costed if you use the car as taxi or site seeing car. 150% if u use car as a commercial vehicle.

So they cost costly.
Old 13th November 2005, 06:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ask him how much insurance he paid and you will know.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2005, 09:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks - thats news to me because I've never seen the car in Europe while its all over the place in Latin America.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2005, 12:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

No Doubt insurances are costly there but it also got a reason i.e. The insurance cover all the aspects of life. What if a person dies?? Here in india insurance companies just give some amout of money if person dies. But there the insurance company now has liability for the person family his kids wife etc.

So they are quiet costly there..
Old 13th November 2005, 20:27   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Corsa is actually designed for Europe and sold there as a hatch only(2 and 4 door), as a direct competitor to Fiesta, Polo etc. Since they dont have any other alternative, the are selling the sedan version in the rest of the world. Also marketed as a vauxhall in the UK.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2005, 23:32   #23
BHPian

Cars are more expensive in India than elsewhere because of higher excise duties in India. Also, for cars which have an import component-the import tariffs are very high. The higher the import content-the higher the tariff. This is why we see the prices for higher end cars being higher in India, while the difference at the lower end of the market is not so pronounced.

This is also by the way part of the reason many new entrants choose the higher end lower volume market for an entry-you can't set up a greenfield project for a volume car with low import component and still be cost competitive with Maruti (and Hyundai). I personally don’t believe that any car can come into the Indian market from the lower end of the market anymore. Hyundai could afford to make an entry in spite of Maruti (Zen) because Maruti were charging a monopoly premium for an old model and Hyundai came straight in-even though they had to live with lower margins because of a newer plant and a high import content initially.
zabcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 07:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Many people talk about how Hyundai came in with a small car into India and is today India's third largest car maker but what people don't realise is that Hyundai was among the first car makers into India when the economy opened up. Daewoo was already struggling with Cielo when Hyundai came in and the only small car they had to compete with was the Zen. Maruti made their job really easy by insisting on pushing the Zen with Carbaurated engine. Daewoo also made it easy for Hyundai by launching the Matiz in only one variant and with zero marketing. I am sure Hyundai would never be able to be such a big car maker in India if they decided to come in after a few years. Hyundai happened to be in the right place at the right time.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 07:39   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas

My 2 cents:
One can find the answer of this Q (Why foreign manufacturers don't sell small cars in India ?) by finding the answer of another Q: How can we beat Maruti ?.

- Maruti has money-minting models in its lineup
- Maruti can cushion those NON-money-minting models till they start minting money.
- Maruti has deeeeep pockets.
And for every Rs. 40k (approx.) added to your budget you have a choice of a different Maruti variant starting from the 800 till the Baleno.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 08:41   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. Hyundai happened to be in the right place at the right time.
....and also a bit of cunning, they made a big hoo haa about bringing in the Accent and flooded Chennai with 200 older version Accents. Meanwhile, they had spotted that a void existed between the M800/ Zen and Esteem which was overpriced and quietly developed the Atoz/ Santro to attract

M800/Zen upgraders
Van/ Amby converts (high seating)
Older people with fiats - Power steering on a small car
Good mileage - any old indian!!!

Took a while before Maruti actually replied with the Wagon R
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote