Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd January 2011, 12:47   #151
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Tata power fails to push Fiat sales

Just 271 Fiat cars sold in December'10!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAIF View Post
271 FIATs in December is the offtake from factory to dealers. We all know that Fiat does not want to increase its inventory at the end of the year which will have to be sold at discounts later on and so they deliberately reduced the numbers shipped. So these figures are nothing to worry about.
Did they do this last year too? Any idea about the figures of Dec'09?
Old 2nd January 2011, 13:15   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Just 271 Fiat cars sold in December'10!!

Did they do this last year too? Any idea about the figures of Dec'09?
^^ Dec 09 was around 1000-1100 ... don't recall the exact no.
Old 4th January 2011, 14:49   #153
BHPian

Fiat seriously has to do something maan!
OK, let me help them by buying the Tjet. TJet this month it is, though Fiat has given enough signals to discourage me.
Heart over Head.
Old 13th January 2011, 22:21   #154
BHPian

Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
ARe people still wondering why Linea sales went nose-diving even further over the past couple of months? If we take a close look in introspection, we already know the answer: Cars like Vento & Etios is eating into its 'possible pie'. Especially the Vento TDI- It is a Diesel & is priced similar to Linea MJD & TJet, with a similar/better engine performance. Even the Petrol Vento manages to attract customers with its Auto-box option (at the same price as a manual box Linea TJet).
Etios, at the same time, is eating into the Linea petrol "Active"/"Dynamic" customers, with the "Toyota" badge & true VFM proposition. Honda City sales is seemingly unaffected by all the market happenings...Seems like it has a huge customer base still in reserve. Now wonder the Linea sales went down.
difficult to agree on this. though fiat has the disadvantage of not being a 'mass' manufacturer, it does well as a 'nice' product. Come feb, and we'll have linea back to 900 and GP to 1500. it might not sell more than this, but it will surely sell this much

As often repeated in this thread, the low nos. of last 2 months is because of year-end issues.
Old 14th January 2011, 09:32   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
difficult to agree on this. though fiat has the disadvantage of not being a 'mass' manufacturer, it does well as a 'nice' product. Come feb, and we'll have linea back to 900 and GP to 1500. it might not sell more than this, but it will surely sell this much

As often repeated in this thread, the low nos. of last 2 months is because of year-end issues.
The question that remains unanswered with that theory is why Fiat alone is affected by year-end? Anyways, let us all hope that Fiat will be able to turn the tables & will be here in the Indian market for long. The TJet is an excellent product, but I feel what Fiat missed was proper market strategy. By saying that,I am not talking about ads/newspaper gimmicks.
To be precise, the way they introduce their products. When they launched Linea (that competes with Civic & Corolla abroad), they wanted to take it easy, so they de-speced & priced it in the SX4-ANHC territory. Perfectly fine, considering that they had past baggages & had to establish their base (customer and service establishment). But, once they found their feet in the market, to go up the next notch, they have missed the trick by launching TJet ahead of the 1.6/1.9MJD. Or even if they had waited a couple of months more to launch both TJet & 1.6 MJD, together. Especially since they could see the new challenges from Vento (esp. the Vento TDI against its top end models) & Etios (against its lower end models).
What has happened is, the powerful Vento 1.6L TDI is priced around the same price as the lesser powerful (engine) Linea 1.3L Diesel, and with similar build & ride quality & an even better interior finish. This factor is definitely going to hit Linea sales big time.
What Fiat can do to recover the situation, is to come up with a "face-lifted" Linea by bringing in their powerful 1.6L MJD (132bhp), with the ABSOLUTE variant, and also give the market an Automatic Gearbox option for the MJD. The market lacks a good Diesel-Auto option (this side of Cruze). And importantly, price it similar/less than the ANHC VAT Exclusive. Only then, can it eat into the market pie that ANHC still reigns sovereignity.

Come on FIAT, you have the "maal"...Make sure you do "kamaal" with it. And at the right time, right place, right price.

Last edited by JJames : 14th January 2011 at 09:40.
Old 14th January 2011, 09:38   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames ARe people still wondering why Linea sales went nose-diving even further over the past couple of months? If we take a close look in introspection, we already know the answer: Cars like Vento & Etios is eating into its 'possible pie'. Especially the Vento TDI- It is a Diesel & is priced similar to Linea MJD & TJet, with a similar/better engine performance. Even the Petrol Vento manages to attract customers with its Auto-box option (at the same price as a manual box Linea TJet).
Etios, at the same time, is eating into the Linea petrol "Active"/"Dynamic" customers, with the "Toyota" badge & true VFM proposition. Honda City sales is seemingly unaffected by all the market happenings...Seems like it has a huge customer base still in reserve. Now wonder the Linea sales went down.
I agree to some extent, but am sure after the euphoria dies down over Vento and Etios with imminent delivery woes, people will be back to other options. Having said that, the other launches from Ford and Hyundai coupled with smart variants from step brother in Tata's will make it ever challenging to reach pre-Nov figures.

Although Fiat claims that 170+ dealer network, their 80% of their sale is in metros+Bangalore+Pune+Kolhapur+Goa. I can safely say that losing a leading dealer BU Bhandari in Pune must have contributed 50-75 Punto/Lineas in this figure.

Fiat has big task at hand in retaining sales at home ground at the same time convert the reach into sales with no visible marketing/sales brain behind
Old 14th January 2011, 11:01   #157
Senior - BHPian

Fiat's December sales could be an aberration. But it also means that you need to subtract a few numbers for all the others months they have sold. Looks like they despatched more than what was required.

On a lighter note looks like they wanted to show more sales every month but the dealers said enough. Like the big software company which inflated sales a couple of years ago !!

But seriously, the capacity was more than consumption.

Last edited by srishiva : 14th January 2011 at 11:03.
Old 14th January 2011, 11:28   #158
Senior - BHPian

I was told, Fiat do not overproduce cars, they are pretty much made to order. They manufacture, only after receiving firm order from the dealer. Dealers place orders based on their expectation of demand. Some not so common colors take more time to deliver. In December the plant was closed for 3 weeks. Bottom line, in case of Fiat the no of whole sale sales reported (dealer sales) should be pretty close to the actual customer sales.
Old 14th January 2011, 13:47   #159
BHPian

Technical reasons aside, i have seen only two Tjets since launch in Pune - one blue and a beige (16"ers). And i commute a lot and keep an eye peeled for the Tjet. I have seen the demo car only thrice and i was in it twice. And also there only two ownership threads on Tbhp till date.
Methinks this car will go the fiesta 1.6S way. As for the rest of the models, TATA has the stranglehold on FIAT marketing. And anyhow how many Indians have ever made a heart over mind buy?
Old 16th January 2011, 00:22   #160
BHPian

Now 15 days are over after record breaking low sales of FIAT (275 units) in Dec'10.
What is action/response from FIAT? Any print Advtz? Any TV commercial? Any hordings? No No and simply Big No !!

Complete silence!! Shhhhhhh!!!

Now take example of Tata Motors. The moment nano recorded lowest sales of 509 units in Nov'10, within 2 days we found full page Advt for week in all leading news papers featuring aggressive yellow color, 4 years of warranty, added safty features and what not. Within 15 days the TV commercial featuring a girl excited with Nano arrival in small town "Aaa gayii" targeting clearcut lower/middle class customer, showing rural roads to prove toughness of car. 2nd advt of kids in the car sleeping till it reaches city outskirts. Car in the rain .The advt. were bombarding till today and what is the outcome?

Zooooooming sales of nano by 10 times in Dec'10 with 5784 units.

Why FIAT is waiting till coma/death and then starts corrective actions which is of no use.
Are they waiting for sales figure of all units together fall within 2 digits?
As a hardcore FIAtian I don't want to bash, but really n frankly it is very difficult to keep quiet.

The silver logo on red background is like "om" for us. Whenever we see that logo at any place, we feel something different.A kind of attachment. FIAT family.

God give them enough willpower to take right decision at right time!!!!! And please don't kill one of the best brand in the world with very rich heritage in India. Please save them!!!

Last edited by Fiat&Me : 16th January 2011 at 00:23.
Old 16th January 2011, 10:06   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat&Me View Post
Now 15 days are over after record breaking low sales of FIAT (275 units) in Dec'10.
What is action/response from FIAT? Any print Advtz? Any TV commercial? Any hordings? No No and simply Big No !!

Complete silence!! Shhhhhhh!!!

Now take example of Tata Motors. The moment nano recorded lowest sales of 509 units in Nov'10, within 2 days we found full page Advt for week in all leading news papers featuring aggressive yellow color, 4 years of warranty, added safty features and what not. Within 15 days the TV commercial featuring a girl excited with Nano arrival in small town "Aaa gayii" targeting clearcut lower/middle class customer, showing rural roads to prove toughness of car. 2nd advt of kids in the car sleeping till it reaches city outskirts. Car in the rain .The advt. were bombarding till today and what is the outcome?

Zooooooming sales of nano by 10 times in Dec'10 with 5784 units.

Why FIAT is waiting till coma/death and then starts corrective actions which is of no use.
Are they waiting for sales figure of all units together fall within 2 digits?
As a hardcore FIAtian I don't want to bash, but really n frankly it is very difficult to keep quiet.

The silver logo on red background is like "om" for us. Whenever we see that logo at any place, we feel something different.A kind of attachment. FIAT family.

God give them enough willpower to take right decision at right time!!!!! And please don't kill one of the best brand in the world with very rich heritage in India. Please save them!!!
Sales and Marketing of Fiat is also done by Tata Motors. It is obvious that they are not interested in spending money on Fiat cars but want to push only their cars.

I blame Fiat for tying up with Tata. It was a win win for Tata as they got the best of technology and also halved their investment in a new plant with better technology as compared to Tatas. Fiat was stupid to do this and will continue to suffer.

They are making good money in powertrain and also exports so they are not bothered much about Indian sales (I have visited their plant and spoken to key people)
Old 16th January 2011, 12:40   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
They are making good money in powertrain and also exports so they are not bothered much about Indian sales (I have visited their plant and spoken to key people)
The Hindu Business Line : Tata-Fiat joint venture drives into profit zone. As long as Fiat and Tata combined sales are good, Fiat India makes money. As long as Fiat India makes money, both the partners, Fiat and Tata should be happy. I think both realized, with the limited models Fiat got now in India, it is really hard to push the sales. May be once more Fiat models are in place, they may spend more money on marketing. Until then, probably Fiat want to reduce the expenses, to keep the venture afloat.
Old 17th January 2011, 13:24   #163
Senior - BHPian

Sharing a story which appeared online today

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ta...review/738361/
Old 17th January 2011, 14:06   #164
Team-BHP Support

^^ The story tells some interesting facts like Fiat posted a loss of 290crores. Fiat officials say they will be able to break even by 2011-12 but i doubt it considering the falling sales. This article claims are seeking Accenture's help to sort out the matters.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:12   #165
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yes, Looking at the sales figures i don't think they will break even in 2011-12.
If TATA-FIAT form a separate dealership network for fiat vehicle things could improve though.
Closed Thread