Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th August 2010, 11:38   #106
BHPian

There is a Correction in the report published by TATA Motors. Here is update from PUG forum:

"In response to the report, ‘Tata-Fiat JV faces mounting losses’, published on August 4, Tata Motors has clarified that the loss of Rs
970.7 crore is not for the year 2009-10, but cumulative for the period from January 2008 to March 31, 2010. Since Tata Motors and the Fiat Group are equal partners in FIAPL, half of this cumulative loss Rs 485.3 crore has been mentioned in Tata Motors’ Annual Report for 2009-10. Similarly, the cumulative loss of Fiat India on March 31, 2009, was Rs 698.3 crore (for Tata Motors, as a 50 per cent partner, Rs 349.1 crore).

Fiat India’s loss for the year 2009-10 was only Rs 272.4 crore, showing that the joint venture’s performance is progressively improving, contrary to what the report has said. The error is regretted."
Old 6th August 2010, 12:21   #107
BHPian

I did come across an article that fiat was planning to set up independent outlets in a few cities. This definitely makes a lot of sense for Fiat. Smaller outlets can bring in justifiable volumes in at least the metros and that way fiat will have much more control over the A.S.S. If not sales outlets I'm sure they should be able to set up company owned service outlets in these cities.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:25   #108
BHPian

acidkill, I wouldnt want them to lighten their cars. no way. That thud, along with the good handling are one the core elements of a fiat.

coldice: when was this? links please?
Old 6th August 2010, 12:49   #109
BHPian

Sourcing parts for fiat through dealership was always a headache . But in my personnel experience fiat cant be blamed . It is because I ordered for a part and waited for 1.5 years . (it was rear bush) . Only due to intervention from fiat india got the bush within a week after contacting them. I will tell the whole story when submitting 50,000 kms ownership report of my 'ADVENTURE' .
Old 6th August 2010, 14:37   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Sourcing parts for fiat through dealership was always a headache . But in my personnel experience fiat cant be blamed . It is because I ordered for a part and waited for 1.5 years . (it was rear bush) . Only due to intervention from fiat india got the bush within a week after contacting them. I will tell the whole story when submitting 50,000 kms ownership report of my 'ADVENTURE' .
OT: holy moly. 1.5 years for a rear bush. Do put up thread on the ownership experience, it will definitely make an interesting read.

More often than not, the dealers are at fault than the company. But the other way it shows the company is lenient with its dealers on the escalations.
A double edged sword
Old 6th August 2010, 19:50   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post

coldice: when was this? links please?
Well it was a video snippet i had come across at one of the news channel websites. Have been trying real hard to find it, just been unable to locate it. Will definitely post the link when i get it. The channel was definitely a respectable one but just dont remember which site it was.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:28   #112
BHPian

There are so many things FIAT needs to worked on for example Trained Sales guys,
  • I contacted them for Exchange offer on Palio. They contacted me once, after that not even single call. As it is after doing all calculations, I dropped my plan of upgrading to Punto at least for next 1--1.5 years.
  • Last weekend I was In FIAT ***, for servicing my Palio. One fellow in his early 30's was really eager for Punto 90Hp test drive. He was waiting for at least 30-40 mins. No one received him. He was clearly frustrated. When he asked sales person, about test drive he replied go to XXX show room you can test drive there. Can’t help you it’s already 6.00Pm (Time to go home, approach). No one even asked for his contact numbers. By the time he moved out from the place it was clear that he had already made some decision about buying PUNTO. Big "NOO".
I myself felt so bad about whole incidence. I want FIAT not just to survive in Indian market. I want to see good numbers of FIAT running on Indian roads. Don’t know as a FIAT owner, if I can help my beloved car maker in any ways.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:39   #113
BANNED

Some good news about FIAT-TATA

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...1650720200.htm[/COLOR]

TATA-FIAT JOINT VENTURE DRIVES INTO PROFIT ZONE

[Mumbai: Fiat India, the 50:50 joint venture between Italian carmaker Fiat and Tata Motors, has reported Rs 22 crore profit for the first quarter against Rs 166 crore loss for the corresponding period a year ago. Revenues doubled to Rs 967 crore from Rs 473 crore. This signals a turnaround in the three-year-old joint venture, given the losses it had accumulated in the past many quarters From January 2008 to March 31, 2010, the joint venture had a cumulative loss of Rs 971 crore. The loss for the last fiscal was Rs 272 crore. The Fiat India Automotive Private Ltd (FIAPL) had invested Rs 4,000 crore in Ranjangaon to build a plant with a capacity to make 1.6 lakh units a year. Fiat accounts for 70,000 and Tata Motors, the balance.

The increased capacity utilisation by both the partners and expanding joint dealerships are helping the venture stabilise production and marketing operations.

Fiat makes mid-size Linea and hatchback Grande Punto and Tata Motors makes Indica Vista and Indigo Manza at Ranjangaon. The capacity utilisation at the plant has been increasing over the years. In the last fiscal, Fiat produced 24,000 cars and this year it hopes to double production, according to Mr Rajeev Kapur, Chief Executive Officer (CEO),

Increasing Sales Network

Fiat's first quarter sales were up 15 per cent at 9,020 units, thanks to increasing sales network that is currently at 170 dealerships covering 130 cities/small towns. “We are bringing out 90 hp Punto, which will be the most powerful hatchback in the market, during the festival season. The high power version of Linea will also be launched around the same time. This will help us improve volumes,” Mr Kapur told Business ,Asked when the company would break even, he said, “We hope to break even by financial year 2011-12.” The company has pinned its hopes on the upcoming small car besides variants of Linea and Grande Punto

Going by the performance for the last quarter, achieving breakeven by FY 12 looks quite possible,” said Mr Navin Matta, an analyst with Ambit Capital

The plant operation has now stabilised and the marketing expenditure has come down,” he said

Fiat has another revenue stream in engine production. The company makes 1.3 multi-jet and 1.4 FIRE petrol engine at its powertrain facility at Ranjangaon.

The company exported 35,000 engine units to its parent company Fiat Italy last year.The performance of Fiat India seems to have enthused the joint venture partner Tata Motors.

Mr Carl-Peter Forster, Managing Director and CEO, Tata Motors, said, “We are looking to strengthen the Fiat brand in India.” He said that the joint venture is looking at expanding Fiat's product range and marketing in the Indian market. Tata Motors' investment in FIAPL stood at Rs 999.54 crore as on March 31, 2010.

Last edited by motor spirit : 16th August 2010 at 12:43.
Old 16th August 2010, 16:37   #114
BHPian

Another point that struck me as I am writing my TD/initial experience report:

I had seen the Linea ad many times, but never paid attention to the car. Maybe because the car is shown only for a short while at the end, and the essense of its beauty is left incomplete.

The first time I was smitten by the Linea, it was when I saw it in person. Flamenco Red Emotion in all its chrome glory! Even now, whenever I look at Linea, it looks wonderful, as if I am seeing a thing of beauty for the first time.

I now realize that Fiat should not have any TV ads... instead, they should take a Flamenco Red Emotion Pk MJD, paint a big pricetag of the Active petrol variant (6.4L?) on the back windscreen, and just keep driving it around the country. Somewhat like the hawkers , but seeing the real thing at that price will surely turn heads, hearts, minds and pen holding fingers (in that order).

Last edited by echo77 : 16th August 2010 at 16:38.
Old 16th August 2010, 20:01   #115
BHPian

I guess TV is an Imp medium for promotional activities. Even a Newspaper fails in front of TV . Previously I have never seen a AD for a Fiat on TV ( except for one with sachin / palio and few Yuvraj One's ) . with recent cricket series in SL, FIAT has started advertising heavily . these days , I often see a AD ( Specially on NDTV / bussiness channels ) highlighting Punto's 90 Horses and Blue and ME with tagline as "CRAFTED FOR A TRUE FAN" .Good thing that by choosing a normal model for AD, they have managed to kept PUNTO as center of attention rather than a useless cricketers / celebrity .
Old 18th October 2010, 20:49   #116
Senior - BHPian

Post FIAT looking for alternative partner?

It seems like FIAT is looking out for other alternatives than TATA according to this article from CarTradeIndia : Fiat Planning to Alternative for Tata Motors for Distribution and Sales in India

I think in this increasingly competitive market, having good cars for sale isnt alone enough whereas what is required is servicing prowess. Now that Indians are heading FIAT, this should not be difficult. Considering VW etc who are still new at servicing, FIAT can still catch up. Personally I prefer FIAT are on their own and try this all over again.

This is the like the spider which gets washed away by rain and still climbs up after the rain :-) They are also going to retain TATA. Now this is like giving TATA some competition being the bigger brother but unfortunately that is not the case. TATA would rather prefer to wind up FIAT than not. This time FIATs game plan must be strong and continuous.
Old 18th October 2010, 21:53   #117
Senior - BHPian

Dont know to what extent this is true. As it will be very difficult for any dealership to run with just 1500cars getting sold per per month. Also the relationship between Tata and FIAT are very very strong. FYI, Ratan Tata is a member of the board of directors of the FIAT group. Any dealer who will sell only FIAT cars will end up demanding much heavier margins per car, rather than a dealer who also sells Tata Cars, as the 2nd kind will be able to make a good deal of money in selling the considerably higher number of Tata vehicles.
Old 21st October 2010, 10:14   #118
BHPian

Default Fiat Brand Store

Read about Fiat Launching a Brand Store in major cities to bost its image. It will not be sales outlet or a service center but just a place to provide infomation and meeting potential customers.

Times of India : Fiat to launch brand stores, without Tatas - The Times of India
Old 21st October 2010, 10:20   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
I now realize that Fiat should not have any TV ads... instead, they should take a Flamenco Red Emotion Pk MJD, paint a big pricetag of the Active petrol variant (6.4L?) on the back windscreen, and just keep driving it around the country. Somewhat like the hawkers , but seeing the real thing at that price will surely turn heads, hearts, minds and pen holding fingers (in that order).
Interestingly all other manufacturers like Mercedes, VW , Chevy , Ford and even Maruti do this sort of promotion by placing their best looking color car in lobby of Shopping malls by giving them away as contest prize.
I just wonder why FIAT does not do it.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:50   #120
Senior - BHPian

Guys, just bumped on to this thread.

All i want to ask you is.

1,Why did Fait partner with Tata motors in spite of being a house hold name in India.? (Many of us have grown up in Fiat cars)
Closed Thread