Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th November 2010, 19:32   #121
Senior - BHPian

I am very much interested to find a solution for US port and BT in Jazz. The HU is capable to handle both but how and where can we find the add-ons to make those work?

The more I use the Jazz, the more I feel it truly justifies the price. One way to look at it is - after discounts the Jazz (select) is 2.5L+ cheaper than City (V) with much better build quality/interiors/some additional features. The City has a more powerful engine but that's it. The boot in Jazz is humongous and though it is smaller than the City's theoretically but with the flexibility offered by the magic seats, it can rival or beat the City in luggage carrying ability as well. The engine though 1.2 is super refined and powerful too. Once you rev it well, it just takes off! Also, the handling is crisp with very minimal body roll and you can take corners at 3 digit speeds without straining your nerve. I feel Jazz does not get enough praise for the wonderful engine and good handling. Overall, it is a wonderful car but one needs to get rid of the herd mentality and have an eye for detail to appreciate it and then it does not feel overly expensive any more!

Last edited by adimicra : 26th November 2010 at 19:33.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 09:45   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am very much interested to find a solution for US port and BT in Jazz. The HU is capable to handle both but how and where can we find the add-ons to make those work?

The more I use the Jazz, the more I feel it truly justifies the price. One way to look at it is - after discounts the Jazz (select) is 2.5L+ cheaper than City (V) with much better build quality/interiors/some additional features. The City has a more powerful engine but that's it. The boot in Jazz is humongous and though it is smaller than the City's theoretically but with the flexibility offered by the magic seats, it can rival or beat the City in luggage carrying ability as well. The engine though 1.2 is super refined and powerful too. Once you rev it well, it just takes off! Also, the handling is crisp with very minimal body roll and you can take corners at 3 digit speeds without straining your nerve. I feel Jazz does not get enough praise for the wonderful engine and good handling. Overall, it is a wonderful car but one needs to get rid of the herd mentality and have an eye for detail to appreciate it and then it does not feel overly expensive any more!
I couldn't agree with you more adimicra!

It's just such a fabulous car. Eons ahead of the i20 and the Fabia and the Polo and the Punto. In terms of practicality, space, performance, looks, etc. it just beats everything hollow! The only thing that's lacking is some equipment like auto-retract-ORVMs and auto-climate-control.

People who flame the Jazz for its price are people who don't understand it at all. They look at it in pictures and go: "oh another overpriced Honda, a hatch that's priced like a sedan, not worth it!" and once they draw these conclusions, they go and buy the Polo or the i20.

What the Jazz is, is a City without a boot (till you open it, of course!) and a slightly smaller engine (till you rev the nuts of it, of course!) in its own right. And if it's priced 2 lakhs lesser than its sedan-counterpart, I think it's a great price, honestly! Because it does everything the City does, and sometimes even better!

I would have really regretted buying anything else. And even though I'm not the one who paid for it (technically, it's our families), I'm sure my father and my mother would have regretted buying anything else.

It's such a brilliant car, to live with, to drive and to just gawk at!

In a way, I'm glad that I've acquired the Jazz and others haven't. Because others haven't got the Jazz experience. Something that the i20, Polo, Punto will never match!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 11:21   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more adimicra!

It's just such a fabulous car.
Totally agree on this! Amazing car with oodles of space and utility.

Quote:
Eons ahead of the i20 and the Fabia and the Polo and the Punto. In terms of practicality, space, performance, looks, etc. it just beats everything hollow! The only thing that's lacking is some equipment like auto-retract-ORVMs and auto-climate-control.
Totally DISAGREE on this part, unless of course there is a different connotation for eons. i20 is built like a European car, and you get a stonking 1.4 CRDi + VGT with 90 BHP and 224 NM Torque! for the same price as Jazz.

What I got more compared to Jazz [at the SAME price]?
1. Highly Fuel Efficient / Low running cost - 15-16 kmpl in city and 20+ in highways
2. Really Powerfull mill - 224 Nm makes overtaking a breeze. Not mention it is super smooth
3. 6 Airbags (you might argue that what's the use, but it is there nevertheless)
4. Automatic Climate Control
5. 5 Alloys
6. Rear Parcel Tray and Mudflaps (pun intended - If Honda could advertize that...)
7. Auto retract mirrors
8. Sunroof

I am sure I can give you more if I can think for some more time -

The 1.2 mill from Honda is not its best, iVTEC notwithstanding!

I agree it is a good car, and some people feel the value in it (400 people per month who choose Jazz against 7500 who choose i20)

For the petrol version, i20 with all the above features is priced approx 1.4L less!

It would be difficult to beat the ride / handling, FE of Punto / Polo for an i20 and a Jazz. Each car has its merits, and all of them are built very well (atleast the i20, Polo :P) - Jazz is a good car, but no where in the league to call it 'eons ahead'.

Let's leave it there!

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 27th November 2010 at 11:24.
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 12:06   #124
Team-BHP Support

Thats why when I bumped up Suhaas's thread on hatch purchase, I wanted to compare the Jazz -X versus the I20 ASTA CRDI (and not the petrol).

Last edited by ampere : 27th November 2010 at 12:13.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 15:50   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats why when I bumped up Suhaas's thread on hatch purchase, I wanted to compare the Jazz -X versus the I20 ASTA CRDI (and not the petrol).
Read my comparo below

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
The 1.2 mill from Honda is not its best, iVTEC notwithstanding!

It would be difficult to beat the ride / handling, FE of Punto / Polo for an i20 and a Jazz. Each car has its merits, and all of them are built very well (atleast the i20, Polo :P) - Jazz is a good car, but no where in the league to call it 'eons ahead'.

Let's leave it there!
Well although I do agree with you on most of them, I do not agree with you about the engine not being one of the better ones Honda has churned out. I'll get to that in a bit.

The diesel i20 is incredibly fast and it does feel very quick off the line and on the move, but comparing the petrol Jazz to the diesel i20 is like comparing apples and oranges. It all boils down to your priority in the end of the day.

If people want a great performing petrol, you'd rather look at the Polo/Fabia and the Jazz as they are the best. No arguments here, as the Polo, with its 10 horses and 1.6 litre motor, will probably beat the Jazz in terms of numbers. But the Jazz, mind you, is no slouch.

When it comes to comparing the petrol variants of it's competitors, I honestly believe that the Jazz will win hands down. And I wouldn't have said this when we initially acquired our Jazz.

Once you get it beyond 3k RPM, few hatches have the ability to catch up. It's rev-happy motor harks back to the OHC fantastic Vtec lump. Oh and when you drive it sedately, it almost sounds like an electric car. It's so refined, quiet, and smooth, it's unbelievable.

Getting back to priority.

We were interested in a petrol car and not a diesel. We also felt that the Jazz is a more refined and better engineered car than the i20. And this helped us in our decision to pick up the Jazz. The few features that it misses weren't much of a bother, and the fact that it has much more space than an other hatch.

Now I'm not saying everyone should be like me, because everyone has different priorities. Some one else would feel that the i20 is better value especially for the features it offers and the stonking CRDI lump. But I firmly believe the Jazz is very value for money. Because if you put a price tag on the space, the refinement, the engineering, the looks and incredible mileage and sprightly petrol performance, the Jazz will win hands down.

But the bang-for-your-buck winner is no brainier. It is the Hyundai i20.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 18:21   #126
Senior - BHPian

As Suhaas said, no point in comparing Jazz with I20 CRDI.

But I repeat among petrol cars in the segment, the 1.2 IVTEC of the Jazz is one of the best, if not the best.

The only cars which offer better performance is the Polo/Fabia 1.6 - they are about a second faster in 0-100 dash as per Autocar but jazz beats them in refinement and FE.

Coming to features, Jazz X is pretty loaded. If you compare it with I20 Asta, Jazz X has the following extra stuff - height adjustable seat belts, speed sensitive volume, tailgate spoiler, instant/avg FE and DTE,15" alloys.

I20 has - retracting mirrors, auto AC (but the AC is weak),6 airbags and telescopic steering

Other features is more or less the same.

In terms of handling, the only car that handles better than Jazz I feel is the Punto (and may be Figo). Polo gets lots of accolades for handling but that is partly due to the prejudice of it being German - I did not find the handling in the league of a Punto, though it is good. Jazz handles very good as well, though not as good as a Punto, but the body roll in fast corners is well controlled.
I found the I20 most disappointing in terms of a weak AC (can't compromise on this as Hyderabad summers are incredibly hot) and poor handling

Again to each his own but as a overall package the Jazz IMO is the best petrol hatchback money can buy in the country and quite a few steps (if not eons ) ahead of the competition and hence justifies the price tag (again personal opinion).

One point to remember when we mention about the low sales of Jazz is - it does not come with a 'base' version. Even the Jazz Select is pretty fully loaded. There is no point in talking about numbers- for example, Punto is an excellent car but it sells 1000 odd with 9-10 variants and if you talk about the Petrol Punto 1.4 (competitor of Jazz), I am sure it sells less than the jazz. Does it make a bad car?

Last edited by adimicra : 27th November 2010 at 18:23.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 19:12   #127
BHPian

I have been following the JAZZ threads for quiet some time, and I also had a chance to TD the vehicle recently as well. The car is in it's own league when it comes to refinement and space.
If I had the money, i would buy the JAZZ in a heartbeat. It's because of the M factor, i am looking at other options.
On another note the Honda sales person's attitude makes me chuckle every time. They even told me once Airbags are really not needed.
RROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 19:14   #128
BHPian

Devarshi: Little OT here but please elaborate on the bluetooth bit you found on the Jazz. Would love to hear some details from you on it.

Eagerly waiting mate.
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote