Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 24th September 2010, 17:33   #331
BANNED

My personal opinion is that some of the recent posts are blown out of context. Mr. CPH, I agree that there are much faster cars in your country but over here the current benchmark (stock cars only without performance mods) for performance in this segment and at this price is ANHC. If Linea can achieve similar timings/performance (or add 1-1.5secs) while offering that same Ride and handling package, I think it is great and much beyond acceptable.

These posts create negative mindset in our mind and this is what we start expecting when we go for the test drive. Hope you don't take my post as offensive. Just trying to share a thought. Experts like you who are in the business of performance tuning are used to much better performance than what stock cars offer.
Old 24th September 2010, 17:43   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post

You mean a completely new design, can you please elaborate?? I doubt that can be done only for India, there are international standardisations done to reduce costs. (Both design costs & mould costs)
From what i understand, the complaints regarding panel gaps and fit and finish issues are being addressed and changes would be visibly different from existing cars. This would not mean they are changing the layout or color schemes. I dont have anything more specific than this, although the confirmed news is that existing complaints in plastics are being addressed.

cheers
vinay
Old 24th September 2010, 18:24   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
My personal opinion is that some of the recent posts are blown out of context.
I agree. I think a lot of this has been generated by the performance figures published on the ACI website (In fact, if you read the article, it's quite positive on the T Jet ending with "Finally, after a long gap, a Fiat thatís actually plenty of fun" ). I for one, do not believe the figures published by ACI (although I have quoted them in a previos post) for the followsing reaons:
1. Of all the auto magazines which got to test drive the T Jet at Aamby Valley, only ACI published a full suite of performance figures. The only other 2 places I have read a review are Carwale and BSmotoring, who state that they couldn't do the performance tests and the conditions weren't ideal. How come ACI got to do a full performance test?

2. There are obvious errors in the performance specs provided by ACI, like the 40-100kmph in "Kickdown", for an MT!

I'd rather wait for a full review after the car has been officially launched before checking out the performance figures.

Also, the benchmarks for performance in India and the UK are very different. Quite a few hatchbacks in the UK, including the Fiesta Zetec can manage a 0 to 62 mph run in less than 10 seconds! Given the options available in India, a 0 to 100 of 11.14 seconds (as claimed by Fiat) isn't exactly sluggish (Its faster than the Jetta 2.0 Tdi to start with and all other cars in its segment, except the ANHC).

I think the T Jet with its massive list of features, coupled with a powerful engine (yet to be fully tested) is a great package. Lets not write it off before test driving one, or at least before its officialy launched.
Old 24th September 2010, 22:18   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
FIAT, better got out of this country.
In that case civic-sense would you be willing to service our Lineas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinvig View Post
I agree. I think a lot of this has been generated by the performance figures published on the ACI website (In fact, if you read the article, it's quite positive on the T Jet ending with "Finally, after a long gap, a Fiat thatís actually plenty of fun" ). I for one, do not believe the figures published by ACI (although I have quoted them in a previos post) for the followsing reaons:
1. Of all the auto magazines which got to test drive the T Jet at Aamby Valley, only ACI published a full suite of performance figures. The only other 2 places I have read a review are Carwale and BSmotoring, who state that they couldn't do the performance tests and the conditions weren't ideal. How come ACI got to do a full performance test?
Ashwin I've been reading ACI for a long time now and usually on their first drives they do an informal test wherein I think they might be using a stopwatch instead of their usual testing equipment. So these timings might not be Milli-second perfect but would be somewhere around the actual mark only. Apart from that 0-140 taking some 28 odd seconds is a typo for sure, for sure, when 0-100 is some 11 odd seconds.

Well this is what I have to say about 0-100 figures of T-jet- Some have said that it is important and some have said otherwise citing India's driving conditions. What's the fuss? It may be important for some and for others might not. So people on either side, dont force the other side to toe your line. We all have different preferences and likes.

And as far as ACI's in gear timings are concerned then even diesel Linea's timings are faster than ANHC's figures! Considering T-Jet makes the same amount of torque I think in real world conditions T-Jet would match ANHC if it does not better it.

Also all those who've been after Fiat for detuning T-Jet for India consider this- ANHC sells in India not just because of its 0-100 performance, but because in addition to that it also manages a very, very decent fuel economy. So I guess Fiat is trying to maximise the FE to the point where it matches ANHC's performance. We all know by now that T-Jet is capable of more performance and as a person who is very passionate about driving even I would prefer a 9 sec' 0-100 T-Jet; but put yourself in Fiat's shoes, a company which is still trying to get a foothold in a place where whatever Honda does is deemed perfect, what would you offer?
Old 25th September 2010, 07:02   #335
Senior - BHPian

The torque available at low rpm is enough to cater to FE needs, a slight + or - wont change the numbers significantly. I hope it will be 18+ kmpl with AC in highway with a moderation in driving. Power reduction or detuning the engine must be purely for Fuel quality issues.

CPH, thanks a lot for the informations bloke, without you speculation rife FIAT will suffer even more image crisis(in this thread).

Last edited by ramzsys : 25th September 2010 at 07:06.
Old 25th September 2010, 12:58   #336
Senior - BHPian

considering that linea is a heavier car than the ANHC the 0-100 timings are very good on the linea.

mileage also is perfect for indian customers.
one can enjoy then turbo punch coupled with good FE coupled with best in class ride and handling coupled with best looking sedan in the segment coupled with fully loaded best features in the segment coupled with best pricing in the segment coupled with special treatment that FIAT is personally giving to its customers.

apart from this i can foresee huge mod potentials playing with the ECU and the turbo boosts.

The the above 0-100 figures will not be debated for sure

I guess RD and Petes would have already started their homework.
Old 25th September 2010, 13:33   #337
Senior - BHPian

just saw the Overdrive show on CNBC.

Tjet was showcased with a test drive and the 0-100 timings.

They got the figure in 11.1 seconds that too with an amateur test track driver.
Old 25th September 2010, 13:35   #338
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post

apart from this i can foresee huge mod potentials playing with the ECU and the turbo boosts.

The the above 0-100 figures will not be debated for sure

I guess RD and Petes would have already started their homework.
Having had the opportunity to work with the T-jets for the past five years I can tell that the T-jet ECUs are something else.

On some variants no power gains worth mentioning can be made and little torque improvements.

On some variants power gains are giving some advatanges.

Turbo upgrade is rather tricky with most variants.

Upgrading from T-Jet to the SS turbo was a challenge on the ECU software that took us 4 months and no one else has managed yet.

Very important for the T-Jet tuning is a proper AIR (air intake revision). Even more so on the revised OE intake.

Panel filter is next to useless.

Exhaust modifications do not see a lot of improvement despite the original system not be that good.

Tuning potential is extreme. With the standard turbo when AIR is done properly and the more flexible ECU variants are present power can be increased to 165bhp and about 270Nm with torque coming in much earlier than stock.

With the 150 turbo some sensor changes AIR and re-map can be achieved about 180bhp and 300Nm.

With the Garrett of the SS, exhaust work, AIR, intercooler revision, sensor changes and sorting the ECU (not a simple re-map) 360Nm was achieved with peak power exceeding 210bhp.

Further work can be done with standard internals to about 265bhp and with re-working the internals to a fairly safe 360bhp.

Tuning boxes I would not advise on as they can be detrimental for the engine under certain load conditions.
Old 25th September 2010, 14:10   #339
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Tjet was showcased with a test drive and the 0-100 timings.

They got the figure in 11.1 seconds
Yep saw the show was not very surprising that they got 11.1 since 11.14 sec is suppose to be the official time.

Not bad at all i think its okish now the pricing of the car will matter a lot because this variant will go against other with similar timings such as ANHC and even Vento.
Old 25th September 2010, 14:20   #340
BHPian

I thought Overdrive got 0-100 in 13.XX seconds and the host said he wasnt a professional test driver.
Old 25th September 2010, 16:15   #341
BHPian

0-100 in XXX seconds... How important is this in regular (+90% time) driving conditions . I think the T-Jet core value would be power availability, i.e reserve power at any time. To a driver this would feel as if he is driving a 1.8 litre car.
Old 25th September 2010, 16:23   #342
Senior - BHPian

INO, whether it is 11.1 or 12.XX or even 13.XX ti is still better than the existing non-Tjet motor. Further, I have seeen more of Emotion & Emotion Pack (variants) in NCR (I am referring to this variant because I believe/remember the Tjet will be available in this trim only), I reckon people are ready to pay for this Fiat motor as well... & it will meet their expectations to a great extent.

This is because of the the following reasons:
1. Ample low-end torque;
2. Better performance with even better handling in light if the competitors (whose ride quality is not as good);
3. Better quality interiors (at last).

Only area where FIAT needs to work out is the A.S.S.

(The only assumption that I have taken here is that the mileage figures will not reduce dramatically.)
Old 25th September 2010, 17:37   #343
Senior - BHPian

Video.

Experience Fiat Linea: The Italian stallion-Auto-TV-Economic Times
Old 25th September 2010, 18:51   #344
BHPian

Linea T-Jet Review on CnB Show Link :Tubaah: New and improved Linea, i10
Old 25th September 2010, 19:45   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir3127 View Post
I thought Overdrive got 0-100 in 13.XX seconds and the host said he wasnt a professional test driver.
+1 , i was watching that episode few hours back. Their assessment for 1-100 dash was that it should do it in some 11.XX seconds if i remember correctly
(After they rule out error as they were using some Iphone to calculate that ). the host categorically said that their only grouse with earlier model was underpowered motor and with T-jet, LINEA is a complete package now and should pose a serious challenge to City & Vento.
Closed Thread