Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:42   #136
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
^^ I think the only point that Adi was trying to make was that a lot of people on the forum seem to be booking (or thinking about booking) without a test-drive, and that is risky.

As far as that point is concerned, it is 100% correct. Don't book or buy without a test drive, doesn't matter if it's a Merc, BMW or a Nano.
Thanks for clarifying Amartya, that's exactly what I meant to say.
I sincerely hope that Polo 1.6 really turns out to be the 'hot' performance hatch in the country, which really doesn't have one today.

The specs are not the only thing to look at - The Fiesta specs are same as the Verna but look at the difference in performance. The Fiesta smokes every other car in the segment though the specs say that it is one of the least powerful!

What I was trying to say is - this car Polo 1.6 has been shrouded in mystery. I do not know of any dealership which is offering test drives for this car. What I was trying to say is - do not buy the car without a TD. Add to that, the reviews for the 1.6 petrol in Vento have not been so great that one should buy the car without a TD. Even if the reviews were great, it is very risky to buy the car without a TD.

Anyways, I think the performance of this car will be good, if not great.
Cheers and best of luck to all potential owners of this car.
adimicra is offline  
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:06   #137
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 686 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
^^ I think the only point that Adi was trying to make was that a lot of people on the forum seem to be booking (or thinking about booking) without a test-drive, and that is risky.

As far as that point is concerned, it is 100% correct. Don't book or buy without a test drive, doesn't matter if it's a Merc, BMW or a Nano.
I completely agree with you. I remember GTO mentioning somewhere that doesn't matter what car you buying, nano or S class, test drive is a must. End of the day, we are putting in our hard earned money on a thing that is suppose to be a biggest purchase in a man's life after a house.
h@r$h@l is online now  
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:24   #138
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I completely agree with you. I remember GTO mentioning somewhere that doesn't matter what car you buying, nano or S class, test drive is a must. End of the day, we are putting in our hard earned money on a thing that is suppose to be a biggest purchase in a man's life after a house.
Exactly! And who knows it better than myself. I booked the Micra without test drive but at least, I had the contract with the dealer that I will take the TD first before deciding to buy the car or not. And as it turned out, I was a bit disappointed after the TD and ended up canceling my booking. Its good that I got the money back very quickly and ended up buying the Jazz and am very happy with the jazz!
adimicra is offline  
Old 24th August 2010, 10:20   #139
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,705
Thanked: 89,150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I have been following each and every post of the Vento thread and I can quote you several instances of GTO's replies to very specific questions
What you are completely missing out on is relativity. Nearly every 9 lakh rupee sedan has a 100 BHP on tap. However, that's certainly NOT the case in the hatchback segment that is dominated by puny 1.2 liter engines! Compare the Polo 1.6's performance to other hatchbacks and that's where it will completely blow them away. Another example : The Toyota 1.4 D4-D will be an excellent choice for the 6.5 lakh rupee Etios, but is unimpressive in a 12 lakh rupee Altis.

I'm going to try and accommodate a test-drive of this new hot hatch in town.
GTO is offline  
Old 24th August 2010, 11:36   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What you are completely missing out on is relativity. Nearly every 9 lakh rupee sedan has a 100 BHP on tap. However, that's certainly NOT the case in the hatchback segment that is dominated by puny 1.2 liter engines! Compare the Polo 1.6's performance to other hatchbacks and that's where it will completely blow them away. Another example : The Toyota 1.4 D4-D will be an excellent choice for the 6.5 lakh rupee Etios, but is unimpressive in a 12 lakh rupee Altis.

I'm going to try and accommodate a test-drive of this new hot hatch in town.
Got your point! I will wait for your test drive. The problem is - I have not found any good road tests or reviews of this car. And the VW dealers are also not offering any TD.
Neither did I get very positive vibes from your review of the petrol engine of the Vento!
When you say blow the competition away - what exactly you mean?
We can't go by the engine size always. The Punto 1.2 has 67 horses, the I10/I20 has 80, Swift has 85 and the Jazz has 90, all have the same engine size (whereas the 1.6 Polo has 105).

If you can provide some numbers ( for acceleration/driveability and outright performance) that will be helpful and substantiate your claim. I don't want to go go by what someone feels as it is very subjective. I sincerely hope and wish that the TBHp reviews should have the stats pretty soon! (Many times, I have found a lot of difference between what one feels and what the numbers tell and as you know, numbers don't lie!)
adimicra is offline  
Old 24th August 2010, 15:54   #141
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What you are completely missing out on is relativity. Nearly every 9 lakh rupee sedan has a 100 BHP on tap. However, that's certainly NOT the case in the hatchback segment that is dominated by puny 1.2 liter engines! Compare the Polo 1.6's performance to other hatchbacks and that's where it will completely blow them away. Another example : The Toyota 1.4 D4-D will be an excellent choice for the 6.5 lakh rupee Etios, but is unimpressive in a 12 lakh rupee Altis.

I'm going to try and accommodate a test-drive of this new hot hatch in town.
Hey GTO, now your test drive is something I have been eagerly waiting for all this time!

A bit too late for me perhaps, but I am sure it will be insightful nonetheless.

No I just don't want numbers, I just want you to tell me how you felt driving it and what its pros and cons are.
nowwhat? is offline  
Old 24th August 2010, 16:07   #142
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Currently, New Delhi
Posts: 423
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

Some petrolhead friendly specs from VW. The TDI is much more of a rocket.
Polo 1.6 Hatchback-untitled3.jpg

Source
JustCause is offline  
Old 24th August 2010, 21:02   #143
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 34
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What you are completely missing out on is relativity. Nearly every 9 lakh rupee sedan has a 100 BHP on tap. However, that's certainly NOT the case in the hatchback segment that is dominated by puny 1.2 liter engines! Compare the Polo 1.6's performance to other hatchbacks and that's where it will completely blow them away. Another example : The Toyota 1.4 D4-D will be an excellent choice for the 6.5 lakh rupee Etios, but is unimpressive in a 12 lakh rupee Altis.

I'm going to try and accommodate a test-drive of this new hot hatch in town.
GTO, please get that TD done soon.

Desperately waiting for your review to change my booking from 1.2 to 1.6 (car getting alloted next month).
shadowfax176 is offline  
Old 24th August 2010, 21:02   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default

Note from Mod : Do NOT ridicule or personally attack other forum members. WATCH THE TONE. Also, do NOT hijack the thread of every other car and try to run it down.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2010 at 16:09.
adimicra is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th August 2010, 23:15   #145
BHPian
 
kadanaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 348
Thanked: 115 Times
Default

Hey guys, I have a question I'd like to raise.
Normally one hears a lot about how a cars engine is detuned from foreign standards in India, either to improve fuel efficiency or to compensate for the lower grade petrol.
I therefore went to the VW UK site to see the horsepower for the 1.6 petrol, and was quite surprised to see there isn't a 1.6 petrol listed on the site. There is however a 1.6 TDI. It's the same state on wikipedia.
Anyone have any idea what engine they've plonked into our Indian Polo and why it isn't listed on either the VW UK site or Wikipedia.

Volkswagen Polo Mk5 - Wikipedia

Volkswagen UK Polo

Last edited by kadanaJ : 25th August 2010 at 23:19.
kadanaJ is offline  
Old 26th August 2010, 00:34   #146
Senior - BHPian
 
avishar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: kolkata/bangalore,india
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 686 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Hey guys, I have a question I'd like to raise.
Normally one hears a lot about how a cars engine is detuned from foreign standards in India, either to improve fuel efficiency or to compensate for the lower grade petrol.
I therefore went to the VW UK site to see the horsepower for the 1.6 petrol, and was quite surprised to see there isn't a 1.6 petrol listed on the site. There is however a 1.6 TDI. It's the same state on wikipedia.
Anyone have any idea what engine they've plonked into our Indian Polo and why it isn't listed on either the VW UK site or Wikipedia.

Volkswagen Polo Mk5 - Wikipedia

Volkswagen UK Polo
Hi,i came across the same problem as you.However i did a bit more searching and i think the it is the 1.6 R4 16v that does duty in the Indian Polo.
avishar is offline  
Old 26th August 2010, 07:42   #147
BHPian
 
johnjacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore, INDIA
Posts: 344
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

As far as I know, the 1.6 engine offered in the Indian Polo is also available in South Africa. The VW South Africa site shows 77KW@5250 RPM (which is equal 103 Bhp), 155NM@3500 RPM and a 0-100 time of 11.3 seconds for the South African 1.6 Polo, which is close to what VW India also claims.

However, the South African 1.6 is only Euro2 compliant, whereas we have a Euro4 compliant engine in India.

Last edited by johnjacob : 26th August 2010 at 07:45.
johnjacob is offline  
Old 26th August 2010, 12:58   #148
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 231
Thanked: 178 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
However, the South African 1.6 is only Euro2 compliant, whereas we have a Euro4 compliant engine in India.
does that mean our polo will have a compromise on performance in any way?
veedub89 is offline  
Old 29th August 2010, 13:02   #149
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 688
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

The mystery about the 1.6 Polo continues. Lack of information on the VW website further complicates matters. Just wondering what the A-S-S of VW would shape up to be if the marketing department itself is so awful. Its only on Team BHP that some price info is available.
fuel_addict is offline  
Old 29th August 2010, 14:05   #150
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,839
Thanked: 7,203 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Its only on Team BHP that some price info is available.
There are prices on the dealer price list that I got at an exhibition here in Chennai several weeks ago.
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks