Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2010, 17:23   #16
naj
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mt Zion IL
Posts: 132
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Time to upgrade to a 1.6.
Very true!!

Its a car even I am waiting for.
I think its the Same engine that will be in the Vento.I hope they will have a different gear box /transmission(like the ford gear boxes) for the 1.6 Polo and not carry over the existing one from Polo 1.2.Any inputs on that?

Well as every one else ,I am too, eagerly waiting for TD report.

cheers

naj
naj is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 17:42   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default

Wow I just asked the same querry on an ownership thread.
I did notice this thread in the morning, but my brain registered as Palio!

Time now for some serious fun. So we are talking 100 BHP right?
Now I see some Fusion like features tricking in!

100BHP, 1.6, 15 Inch Alloys...
ampere is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 17:49   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Wow I just asked the same querry on an ownership thread.
I did notice this thread in the morning, but my brain registered as Palio!

Time now for some serious fun. So we are talking 100 BHP right?
Now I see some Fusion like features tricking in!

100BHP, 1.6, 15 Inch Alloys...
Fusion was considered as expensive, even after it was relaunched for around 7+ onroad right? And it offered much more space (in terms of the rear bench, headroom, luggage space etc). Ford guys must be scratching their head now. Consumers are indeed difficult species to understand .

Last edited by Guna : 1st August 2010 at 17:50.
Guna is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 17:55   #19
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Fusion was considered as expensive, even after it was relaunched for around 7+ onroad right? And it offered much more space (in terms of the rear bench, headroom, luggage space etc). Ford guys must be scratching their head now. Consumers are indeed difficult species to understand .
You got it spot on! Consumer is indeed a difficult species! I paid 6.91 ex-showroom in 2005. There was an ABS upgrade available for an extra 30K.
But the Ford guys said no need. Now, I think I should have taken that.

Thats why I am not planning to exchange my Fusion anytime in future...

Last edited by ampere : 1st August 2010 at 17:57.
ampere is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 18:21   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 50
Thanked: Once
Default

Any chance of an Automatic , mileage be damned.
Arun1 is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 19:50   #21
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun1 View Post
Any chance of an Automatic , mileage be damned.
I doubt it! Ideal dream would be a DSG! But as I read in other posts, DSG is not cost-effective for automobiles less than 10L.

Not sure if they have any other AT tech available.
ampere is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 20:02   #22
mxx
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 101 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I doubt it! Ideal dream would be a DSG! But as I read in other posts, DSG is not cost-effective for automobiles less than 10L.

Not sure if they have any other AT tech available.
Vento has a non-DSG 6 speed automatic with petrol 1.6.
But, it wont find its way into polo. The cost will be too much(for a petrol hatch), and the sales volume low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Fusion was considered as expensive, even after it was relaunched for around 7+ onroad right? And it offered much more space (in terms of the rear bench, headroom, luggage space etc). Ford guys must be scratching their head now. Consumers are indeed difficult species to understand .
Fusion was ahead of its time. It would have had success, if it was launched later.

Last edited by mxx : 1st August 2010 at 20:11.
mxx is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 20:03   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 50
Thanked: Once
Default

The Vento AT box of course.

Hey mxx,
Looks like we thought the same thing and our replies were just a minute apart!
They should put the Vento AT in it IMO because even if it drives the cost up it will still be a less costly and more powerful option than the i20 1.4 gamma and would certainly eat into its market share.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th August 2010 at 15:46. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Arun1 is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 20:13   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default

In my opinion, the Polo 1.6 is a real VFM for a pure enthusiast as it costs only 40-45K more than the 1.2 highline.
The VW spec reads 1.6 engine with 105PS and 0-100 of 11.1 sec (though I would add at least a second to that going by the claimed specs for Polo 1.2) and a top whack of 184 kph.
I do not think the engine will be as good as the Ford 1.6 but still will be better and faster than any other hatch available in the market.
adimicra is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 20:26   #25
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default

Guys my other question is still un-answered? Is it old 1.6 Petrol engine (Jetta version) which would serve Polo (and also the vento?). At least they should have re-designed for BSIV. Or we are talking something totally different.
ampere is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 20:30   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 204
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Nice price. Though I wonder why VW Kolkata charges 53+K for Road Tax and regn. They charge a similar amount for the Jetta. Skoda too has high RT&regn charges.
Yet, Honda charges 41K for the Civic in the same city.
May be Kolkata RTO is offering to get it registered permanently, rather than 5 years what we have now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Permanent Registration Rs. 53,680
mayukh is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 20:49   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,602
Thanked: 611 Times
Default

Any F.E figures for the 1.6? The 1.2 returns about 11-12 kpl in the city. I don't expect the 1.6 to be any greater than 8-9. But obviously, depends on driving style.

Last edited by theragingbull : 1st August 2010 at 20:50.
theragingbull is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 20:59   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 393
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

Dont understand why manufacturers in India have this mentality of keeping the better engine only for the higher spec variant. I dont think it helps volumes at all. It should be like how it is abroad - choose your engine and your trim.

Both Diesel and Petrol 1.2 and 1.6 should be available on the Trendline, Comfortline and Highline
acidkill is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 21:00   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Guys my other question is still un-answered? Is it old 1.6 Petrol engine (Jetta version) which would serve Polo (and also the vento?). At least they should have re-designed for BSIV. Or we are talking something totally different.
IMO its the old Jetta engine with some little change here and there
adimicra is offline  
Old 1st August 2010, 21:39   #30
mxx
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 101 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun1 View Post
Hey mxx,
Looks like we thought the same thing and our replies were just a minute apart!
They should put the Vento AT in it IMO because even if it drives the cost up it will still be a less costly and more powerful option than the i20 1.4 gamma and would certainly eat into its market share.
Thats true that it can eat into i20 1.4 A/T. But remember chennai is an export base for i20. So they can push small volumes in the domestic market, since they anyway manufacture it here for export. This is not true in case of vw. So, the chances for 1.6A/t is less.
mxx is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks