Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd August 2010, 11:56   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
What you saw was Hilux and not fortuner, Hilux has an accessory option which covers the storage area with a canopy like structure just like the Tata Xenon which has that option too (may be they copied it from Toyota). This after market fittment makes it look exactly like the Fortuner.
@ranc - give me credit for being a T-BHP member!! I know how to diffrentiate between a SUV and a pick up with canopy

It was a proper SUV and was named Hilux. Let me see if I can click a picture of it and upload here
chennai-indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
If launched would not come for anything less than 16L in AWD mode. the engine being the same as the fortuner, the only place they can cut pricing is on the rear row seats, and the features like stearing mounted controls etc. Not much possible so with the fortuner at 19 Ex factory, this would be closely priced. How many would buy at that price a 5 seater pickup.
The South African Hiluxs which i used abroad was not an AWD. It was a normal 4X4 with separate gear lever to engage the 4 wheel drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The pickup culture is more predominant where small business men use their personal vehicle for carrying stuff for their own business. A big requirement for Thailand, but the people who are into similar business in India cannot afford the Hilux out here.

The only way this can come in, is if they price it at close to 10L, but can they do it, or rather will they do it. If so they do have a winner on their hands.
True. The pickup culture in Thailand or any other country is different than our situation here. But if Toyota can bring it in a price range which is affordable like the mentioned 10L range, there will be many takers for the it.

Also i read somewhere the success of Foretuner, started making the Top management at Toyota think about launching more vehicles here in the coming years.
Willeys78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
@ranc - give me credit for being a T-BHP member!! I know how to diffrentiate between a SUV and a pick up with canopy

It was a proper SUV and was named Hilux. Let me see if I can click a picture of it and upload here

On the lighter side I am also a T-BHPian and when I was in Thailand last year and the fortuner was not launched in India then, so I was always on the lookout for a fortuner and I always used to confuse it with a Hilux with a canopy and then I used to realise " Oh no this is not the one". Atleast it used to get me confused every time, you know how excited we T-Bhpians get when we spot a car which is soon going to be launched in India.

Will wait for your pics.
ranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

O God , only if they launched this legend in india for xenon price.
But highly doubt it since Toyota themselves have told that they don't want to be seen as a CV manufacturer.Also thailand serves as the mother plant of sort for the hilux and it's highly unlikely it would be manufactured in india. But the least we could hopoe is it would sport a 17 lakh price tag.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Toyota USA gifted 100 Toyota Tacomas (Hilux heritage but with a V6 engine) to american special forces and told them not to take of toyota logos from the trucks.
That is hillarious. Japs gifting war equipments to the US. Nice .
'Toyota USA', Super!

Quote:
after getting the V6 Tacoma double cabin 4WD pick trucks, the american special forces were kicking some Talibaan A.S.S. very hard!
The Invincible Hilux!
Yeah they should have gifted them earlier, atleast they would have taken less than 9 years. And still going strong
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 11:07   #36
BHPian

The picture itself says, it is a KA registered vehicle. IMHO, Pickup Vehicles are not a Hit in India. eg. Tata xenon.
Antonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 12:14   #37
BHPian

Quote:
On the lighter side I am also a T-BHPian and when I was in Thailand last year and the fortuner was not launched in India then, so I was always on the lookout for a fortuner and I always used to confuse it with a Hilux with a canopy and then I used to realise " Oh no this is not the one". Atleast it used to get me confused every time, you know how excited we T-Bhpians get when we spot a car which is soon going to be launched in India.

Will wait for your pics.
Could not spot the vehicle again so until I can spot and take a picture of one, let me leave you with a quote from Wikipedia
"The Fortuner is not offered in Japan, Europe and North America, but the Hilux Surf, which is also based on Hilux platform, replaces it."

Last edited by chennai-indian : 4th August 2010 at 12:15. Reason: Removed embedded HTML tags
chennai-indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 15:22   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post

Dude what you must have been a Hilux Surf/4Runner. i have no doubt about what you saw!

@ ranc, dude what Chennai Indian saw was a Hilux Surf, no need to wait for his photos, you can google it yourself.

Thailand is the world biggest market for pickups, single and double cabin, its a lifestyle there to own a pickup. even TATA XENON was initially made for and launched in Thailand before it was offered to us indians!

im very comfortable to use my hilux as a daily work drive and as a family vehicle. I did the same back in East Africa, but its not the concept back in india!

in india both M&M and TATA tried their hands with the lifestyle double cabin pickups, which we all know didnt even move the sales charts!

Last edited by Parm : 4th August 2010 at 15:30.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 16:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Dude what you must have been a Hilux Surf/4Runner. i have no doubt about what you saw!

@ ranc, dude what Chennai Indian saw was a Hilux Surf, no need to wait for his photos, you can google it yourself.

Thailand is the world biggest market for pickups, single and double cabin, its a lifestyle there to own a pickup. even TATA XENON was initially made for and launched in Thailand before it was offered to us indians!

im very comfortable to use my hilux as a daily work drive and as a family vehicle. I did the same back in East Africa, but its not the concept back in india!

in india both M&M and TATA tried their hands with the lifestyle double cabin pickups, which we all know didnt even move the sales charts!
Parm I agree with you totally, even in the US it is very common to see a pick up (truck) in most of the house holds. I remember even girls used to get a kick out of driving them. Its just that the trend could not catch up in India, what a pity.

4Runner is the american version of the fortuner, if that is correct then what you and Chennai Indian are trying to say is that Fortuner, 4runner and Hilux Surf are more or less the same thing.
ranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 21:25   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Parm I agree with you totally, even in the US it is very common to see a pick up (truck) in most of the house holds. I remember even girls used to get a kick out of driving them. Its just that the trend could not catch up in India, what a pity.

4Runner is the american version of the fortuner, if that is correct then what you and Chennai Indian are trying to say is that Fortuner, 4runner and Hilux Surf are more or less the same thing.
Toyota Hilux is called Toyota Vigo in some countries!

Toyota Land Cruiser sold in india is called Amazon in USA.
Toyota Prado sold in india is called Land Cruiser in USA.

4Runner/Hilux Surf are previous generation SUVs, and Fortuner is the 'New' 4Runner/Hilux Sulf.

its common among OEMs to give different names to same models across the world.

Nissan Tiida sold in middle east is called Nissan Versa in USA.

VW Jetta was Vento in some countries, and VW polo sedan was called Polo Classic in some countries.

European accord, civic are totally different cars than Indian versions, but are called the same names.

CRV in europe is same as the one sold in india.

@ranc, its a merry go around out there!

Last edited by Parm : 4th August 2010 at 21:26.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:40   #41
BHPian

The pakistani police use hilux as their vehicle, same as our desi mahindra jeep. They car is heavily customised structurally. This is from todays TOI Bangalore edition. take a look.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...wMode=GIF&GZ=T
cuboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 00:20   #42
BHPian

Hilux is an extremely reliable vehicle and will be an ideal vehicle for Indian rural market. Lots of our rural folks have pots of money and they can spot a potential good product. The only concern is about the price and widely available service points. But my guess is that Toyota must have done its research and this vehicle may also command a waiting list and open a whole new segment. This may prove to be very popular with the service industry and real estate sector.

Currently I am in UK, and saw both the Top Gear episodes in which the Hilux is driven to the North Pole by a mad man called Jeremy and then he tries lots of things to destroy the Hilux but Hilux still lives on. The vehicle is simply amazing.

This giant called Toyota was sleeping till now in India but is now waking up from its Kumbhkaran like sleep, so other competitors should better watch out.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 00:39   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
The pakistani police use hilux as their vehicle, same as our desi mahindra jeep. They car is heavily customised structurally. This is from todays TOI Bangalore edition. take a look.

Article Window
Toyota and Honda hds OEM plants in pakistan years before they started here in India!

toyota trucks are widely used by pak army and security forces, currently pak army has started using the mitsubishi L200.

i had a chance to visit the Honda Atlas plant in Lahore long time back.

two things made me buy Hilux over Mitsubishi L200:

1. use of Hilux in a war torn rugged country like Afghanistan.
2. Top Gear trying to destroy Hilux.

these two things convinced me to buy the 'Invincible Hilux'.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:20   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Toyota India has displayed an extremely conservative approach till date. Started off with the ol' Qualis, took 5 years to get the Fortuner here, and longer for a Corolla diesel. We will all agree that there was a ready market, waiting, for the Fortuner & Corolla Diesel. Yet....

Keeping that in mind, do we seriously think Toyota will be adventurous enough to create a new segment by itself? Launch a category of vehicle (i.e. a pickup) that has never succeeded in India. I doubt.

My guess : The pickup / mechanicals are being tested for another market. Toyota has complete focus on the Etios as of now.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 20:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

BTW! aren't they busy making Fortuner and clearing the back log of six months.

I hate this. Them allowing their dealers to charge premium to get Fortuner delivered early.

I am in tune with GTO. Pickup segment never caught up here in India.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote