Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2005, 23:10   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
Just in case you weren't aware (though I'm sure Shan2nu is!!!),
Where'd you get that info from? A M/T V6 for India? That's news.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 23:13   #17
BANNED
 
MrBoombastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 2 Times
Talking Take a deep breath...LOL....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Nice poetry, now here are some facts...
US market Jetta 1.8T had 150bhp from the time it was launched up until 2003 when the 180 bhp spec version came out. There was also a 170 bhp version of this engine used in Audi A4 in 2002. One of my good friends has a 01 Golf Gti with the same 150 horse engine. The Indian Jetta just got the 150hp spec version. Detuning will make you lose 5-10% power not more. Is it just a co-incidence that after detuning the 180 horse version they ended up at 150 which was the same rating as their earlier engine?
As far as the new 2.0 FSI, there is only one turbo version. The is also a non turbo FSI version I believe.
What are you going on (and on) about? LOL... Sir, I don't care where what engine was got from, used or whatever. All I see is that when I go to buy the current Skoda Octavia vRS in India, I don't get the same power as the Skoda Octavia vRS being sold internationally. Comprenez, monsiuer?

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 17th November 2005 at 23:21.
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 23:17   #18
BANNED
 
MrBoombastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Where'd you get that info from? A M/T V6 for India? That's news.

Shan2nu
Please keep me posted if this is true... now or in the near future, thanks.

NOTE: Honda Accord V6 M/T in India only.
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 23:37   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
ported_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 2,391
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

MrBoombastic, cool it dude. MPower was only trying to explain that the Octy RS in India is not detuned to adapt to our fuel standards. This is only because you asked in your first post, if we were to get the A5 RS detuned too. Let's not get into a fight for all the wrong reasons.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 23:52   #20
BANNED
 
MrBoombastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
MrBoombastic, cool it dude. MPower was only trying to explain that the Octy RS in India is not detuned to adapt to our fuel standards. This is only because you asked in your first post, if we were to get the A5 RS detuned too. Let's not get into a fight for all the wrong reasons.
Fight? Why do you think he, me or the both of us are fighting? He stated his viewpoint and I stated mine. Just because he and I are talking of two different things does not mean we are fighting (Just like how when you go out to eat with a friend and he orders chicken biryani while you order mutton sheekh kebabs doesn't mean you both are at war). I did add (have lesser power) next to the word detuned in my first post... Maybe I should've used a / instead of having used brackets... If you further note, the basic question I asked was if we will get the new (A5) Skoda Octavia vRS with the same power as the new (A5) Skoda Octavia vRS being sold abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
Just like the current Skoda Octavia vRS will the new (A5) Skoda Octavia vRS be detuned (have lesser power) when it is launched in India or will it have the same power (147 kW - 200 bhp) as the ones sold in the international market as we now have better fuel?
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2005, 00:09   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
ported_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 2,391
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

I had a feeling it could possibly ( 1% chance) get ugly, so I put up a small sticker. Kinda like the ones in the Alto that say that you don't need to accelerate while starting up since it's an MPFI engine.

Thanks for the menu man, sounds delicious, but I'm a vegetarian.

It's probably because all our interpretations of the same sentence are different. But I promise to pay more attention to the punctuations, henceforth.

Peace, compadre!
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2005, 00:13   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

The previous Accord face - 7th gen type 1 - that we get in India did NOT feature a manual transmission anywhere in the world for the sedan. The 2 door coupe, however, got a 6 speed manual. It was called the Accord coupe, or sometime the RSX (not sure).

If you were to check the new Accord - 7th gen type 2 - specs, you will notice that it now ships with a manual for the V6 in the US. I'm hoping this makes it to India. Logic would dictate so, since M/Ts are less expensive to manufacture, and offer better mileage.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2005, 00:30   #23
BANNED
 
MrBoombastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 2 Times
Thumbs up Good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
If you were to check the new Accord - 7th gen type 2 - specs, you will notice that it now ships with a manual for the V6 in the US. I'm hoping this makes it to India. Logic would dictate so, since M/Ts are less expensive to manufacture, and offer better mileage.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!
That's great news, v1p3r... I am keeping my fingers crossed for this one, thanks. Also, there is logic in what you say... Let's just hope Honda, India thinks like us.

If the new (A5) Skoda Octavis vRS has lesser power than the Skoda Octavia vRS being sold abroad, I will wait for the Honda Accord V6 M/T for sure. There shouldn't be much of a price difference between the new (A5) Skoda Octavia vRS and the new Honda Accord V6 M/T as what we all know (or think we know) so far is that the base model of the new (A5) Skoda Octavia will be priced at around 16 lakhs.
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2005, 00:39   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 384
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic

If the new (A5) Skoda Octavis vRS has lesser power than the Skoda Octavia vRS being sold abroad, I will wait for the Honda Accord V6 M/T for sure.
But it could be a long wait for you cos i was told by a Skoda dealer that the A5 vRs could take more than six months to arrive !
But at the same time "Do we trust dealers" ...... a big Nope
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2005, 00:42   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

Quote:
If the new (A5) Skoda Octavis vRS has lesser power than the Skoda Octavia vRS being sold abroad, I will wait for the Honda Accord V6 M/T for sure.
The Indian Accord V6 M/T will also have lesser horse power as compared to the international one. Why are we crucifying Skoda for de-tuning the engines when even the Japs do it? And even if Accord has more HP then Octavia VRs, I'd say the Octavia will still be infinitely more fun to drive then the Accord.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2005, 00:47   #26
BANNED
 
MrBoombastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
But it could be a long wait for you cos i was told by a Skoda dealer that the A5 vRs could take more than six months to arrive !
But at the same time "Do we trust dealers" ...... a big Nope
That is so right, these dealers (of almost all Cars) are such chaloo machines one has to really watch while dealing with them LOL... One can't really blame them though, they have their own sales targets/ profits to think of.
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2005, 01:03   #27
BANNED
 
MrBoombastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
The Indian Accord V6 M/T will also have lesser horse power as compared to the international one. Why are we crucifying Skoda for de-tuning the engines when even the Japs do it? And even if Accord has more HP then Octavia VRs, I'd say the Octavia will still be infinitely more fun to drive then the Accord.
Amit, I don't know about others, but I see it this way... The Skoda Octavia vRS (Note: vRS) sells mainly because of it's performance while the Honda Accord sells for reasons (comfort levels, snob value to the common masses etc.) other than just performance. So, personally, I would opt for the Honda Accord V6 M/T if and when it's launched in India, unless the new (A5) Skoda Octavia vRS is launched here with the same power as abroad.

As far as crucifying only Skoda goes, I am not doing that and it would be wrong even if I tried doing so. We all know the first Mercedes Benz model sold in India had lesser power compared to the ones of the same model being sold abroad and Skoda Auto wasn't even around in India those days. All I am interested in is not settling for a performance based vehicle in which the power has been brought down and that too when the vehicle will cost more than 16 lakhs, that's all.
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2005, 01:30   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

The last time I drove the RS it was so fast that I knew its not meant for the cities in reality.

If 150bhp can do this to a RS then I dont imagine how you will be driving a 180bhp RS in the city.

Accord v6 is automatic and hence serves its purpose. A v6 auto will be overkill.

I expect them to give the engine better low and mid-range punch and around 160hp. Add a bigger spoiler and dual pipes for exhaust.

bingo, you have got the new RS.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2005, 02:22   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 384
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
The Skoda Octavia vRS sells mainly because of it's performance while the Honda Accord sells for reasons (comfort levels
You are right saying that Accord sells for reasons like comfort levels but i hope and pray that the indian consumers sooner than later comes to know the REAL meaning of the word called COMFORT .

No offence to the Honda owners & die hard fans(i know there are many) but i would go this way:

Honda for great engines ,reliability ,A.S.S ,High resale and so on .... - YES for sure .

Honda for comfort(includes ride quality, High speed stability ,quietness and so on ) - a Big NO .

p. The above conclusion is based on the 3 Honda models (city,accord & to some extend cr-v) currently selling in india .
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2005, 09:37   #30
BANNED
 
MrBoombastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

This was my post to start this thread…
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
Just like the current Skoda Octavia vRS will the new (A5) Skoda Octavia vRS be detuned (have lesser power) when it is launched in India or will it have the same power (147 kW - 200 bhp) as the ones sold in the international market as we now have better fuel? My heart wants me to believe we will get the same engine specifications, but my head says otherwise.

Now, please don't start off with posts like engines can be chipped etc. by people who want more power etc. The topic here is what will we get from Skoda Auto, India.
Apart from three or four direct responses that dealt with my initial post, we have taken many winding detours…
1. Look how much I know about WV/ Audi’s past and where what engine was taken from where and what was done with it.
2. Online referee trips when there was no online WWE match on (In my eyes people who fight online are rather pointless; I mean one can’t kick, punch, lock, throw or twist on here). We are here to discuss cars and not egos.
3. This much power is enough/ that much power will be too much etc.

Allow me to repeat myself like a parrot… What do you all think; will the new (A5) Skoda Octavia vRS have the same power as the new (A5) Skoda Octavia vRS abroad? I think that’s a simple and direct question and I would be obliged if we stuck to answering that question instead of taking winding detours, thanks.
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soda Blasting in Bangalore: Strip any coating from any surface GTO Technical Stuff 15 10th June 2015 17:22
Soda (sodium bicarbonate) Blasting Gill Technical Stuff 6 21st July 2014 13:27
Half a litre SODA in fuel tank! dhanushs Technical Stuff 55 15th June 2010 09:19
OH NO!! Another Ferrari Enzo crashed.. and another... and another (w/ video) GTO The International Automotive Scene 72 26th May 2007 14:09
Another crash, another fire, another death in Delhi suman Street Experiences 7 15th December 2006 15:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:37.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks