Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th June 2008, 14:19   #31
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
On the other hand, someone had pointed out on another thread (and I checked this out on the website as well) that the Scorpio comes with fire retardent upholstery as a standard fitment - hmmm, now that makes one wonder, doesn't it?
. suman, We shouldnt be using an added safety feature as a stick to beat the manufacturer with.

they've put in fire retardant upholstery,that's good. I wish all other manufacturers would do the same.
OTOH, if the other manufacturers' reply is:-"our cars dont go up in flames, so they dont need fire retardant interiors..." then
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 14:22   #32
BHPian

Is the car's hood open?It seems so from the picture. Looks like they tried to put off the fire. I wonder if carrying a small fire extinguisher would have helped limit the damage. I feel sorry for the owner.
thirst4torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 14:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

We never know if the owner was fiddling around with something to cause the fire.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 19:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
they've put in fire retardant upholstery,that's good. I wish all other manufacturers would do the same.
OTOH, if the other manufacturers' reply is:-"our cars dont go up in flames, so they dont need fire retardant interiors..." then
Thats a very lame excuse from them. If someone is smoking in the car and drops the ciggarette or you leave the kids in the car for a minute and they decide to play with the ciggie lighter then any car has a risk of going up in flames. Fire retardant upholstery should be standard in all cars.

On a similar note I remember after the Lockerbie plane bombing, Virgin Atlantic decided to issue adverts telling the public how safe their planes were because they could fly with one engine totally backfired on them as the public began to question whether they used Isreali manufactured bomb proof luggage containers. Branson and co soon stopped their advertisement campaign.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 18:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

Here's another one reported by SupremeBaleno on the accidents thread today -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post896287
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 13:39   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, given the huge number of Scorpios on the road, if there was something wrong in the design which made it fire-prone, we should be seeing many more burnt Scorpios than the 3-4 reported here. As with cases of fire in other cars, I guess it could be due to bad wiring when fitting accessories.

Every now and then we read in the papers here, a case of car going up in flames in Chennai and the maximum cases reported were Fords, followed by Tata and Daewoo. I don't think these odd cases could be used to make a blanket claim that Ford/Tata/Daewoo cars are fireprone, the same way that a few cases of fire can be used against M&M.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 14:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
It would be interesting to know what caused the fire.

May be the owner had after market gizmos fitted, who knows we can only speculate. I have seen some seriously dodgy aftermarket ICE fitments. In one they even used paper stickers instead of insulation tape.
What could have caused the fire is any overheating wire in the fuse box, due to a extra fitting requiring a huge current requirement.

There are also some cases where the fuel line runs directly over the alternator. If the alternator is vented [if one can see the copper windings inside], it makes matters worse.

if a fuel vapour due to improper / old / cracked fuel line occurs, this will lead to the vapour entering the alternator and we have fire !

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Please throw some fire on this.... oops! I meant please throw some light on this

Cheers!
please read my observation above!

Also, Whether petrol or diesel, they work on the principle of internal combustion. Remember each time your piston goes up, there is a fire [spark / heat for diesels] bang explosion and the pistion comes down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Well, given the huge number of Scorpios on the road, if there was something wrong in the design which made it fire-prone, we should be seeing many more burnt Scorpios than the 3-4 reported here. As with cases of fire in other cars, I guess it could be due to bad wiring when fitting accessories.

Every now and then we read in the papers here, a case of car going up in flames in Chennai and the maximum cases reported were Fords, followed by Tata and Daewoo. I don't think these odd cases could be used to make a blanket claim that Ford/Tata/Daewoo cars are fireprone, the same way that a few cases of fire can be used against M&M.
Yeah, agree, no car manufacturer in the world is bad. Its just that we have a lot more mechanics per vehicle for them to play around and blame the vehicle.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 07:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

Default Car goes up in Flames near Hudson circle, Bangalore.

Just read in paper (ToI) that there was a car that went into flames yesturday 7pm in the traffic. The new do not mention anything about the model or make of the car.
The police adds that it started just after the rain stopped. Any more news on this guys?
It started to get fire once the driver tried to start the ignition.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 08:08   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Just read in paper (ToI) that there was a car that went into flames yesturday 7pm in the traffic. The new do not mention anything about the model or make of the car.
The police adds that it started just after the rain stopped. Any more news on this guys?
I just read it in TOI. From the news its unclear how the fire started. I am curious to know about. Daily atleast I spend 2 hours in my car for commuting, and this is a shocker.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 09:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Shocking. Hope no injuries etc. Did the car stall in rain? Fire started as an attempt to start was made; this means was there a short circuit due to water/moisture etc..

Any more details like make, model etc. would be welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 09:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Pardon for my limited knowledge, but is it possible to have so much severe short circuit to cause fire in the car ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Shocking. Hope no injuries etc. Did the car stall in rain? Fire started as an attempt to start was made; this means was there a short circuit due to water/moisture etc..

Any more details like make, model etc. would be welcome.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 09:40   #42
BHPian

I have seen cars go up in flames in the US in the peak summer months. But never heard of car going up in flames that are struck in rain. I guess we need to wait for more details to come out.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 09:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
I have seen cars go up in flames in the US in the peak summer months. But never heard of car going up in flames that are struck in rain. I guess we need to wait for more details to come out.
Maybe OT :

Company's Cielo caught up in flames after a Head-on crash against a Tree . The steering wheel got locked whilst in motion and nothing the driver could do.

Cant remember the year but this was way back when it was launched. Anyone in Andhra would know the bridge near Chilkaluripet and this is where it happened.Reason for flames was never found out and was blamed on the ignition sparks ,Atleast that was the reason and last of daewoos within out immediate circle.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 09:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hey absynth, Id seen a Cielo in a similar incident that went up in flames,this was on mysore road near the Pepsi factory. If im not mistaken the year was 1999.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 10:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have seen LPG fitted (illegelly?) omni going up in flames. could this be also simillar?
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote