Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 16:07   #286
BHPian
 
ashok_lat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 300
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
What about the top line? That is 80k less than the ANHCs top end and comparable featured.



As a matter of fact it might! I would want to go for the Linea because of its USP...the handling.
If the Vento can offer something comparable, I would prefer it because of the better quality and reliability (?).


Why is it that all ANHC owners start getting defensive if anyone points out that an offering is better than the ANHC! We all buy our cars because they are the best for us. It doesn't matter what the world thinks, if your car stands up against what you expect of it.
Major difference from ANHC and Vento is Vento has a decent Diesel Engine. VW may be preffered for the Diesel option over ANHC as a diesel engine is cheaper than ANHC.

Linea on the other hand has all the options but needs some good refreshment on the side of engine(Fiat should bring some powerful engine option) and even some interior tweeks with good quality. FIAT A.S.S to be honest is not good. I am still waiting for my GP's music system to be rectified from past 40 days.

Last edited by ashok_lat : 13th August 2010 at 16:08.
ashok_lat is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 16:10   #287
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default

VW is targetting sales of 45,000 Ventos and 35 Polos in the first year. In an interview in the Aug issue of Autocar, one of their top honchos has given out these figures.

While they may well achieve 35000 with the Polo, 45,000 for the Vento looks a bit optimistic.

The price differnce with the City is not all theat much. Moreover, this product is aimed at HSCIL's bread and butter. Honda will fight VW tooth and nail. Losing sales in this segment to Vento is not an option for Honda.

Expect special offers from Honda in the festive season.
rajneeesh is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 16:18   #288
BHPian
 
Saptarshi B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 110
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

The space occupied by the City though quite exclusive, has reasonable space for a new entrant. While Honda will not take this lying down it is high time a quality offering was made in this segment (not to offend the Suzukis or the Fords)

With a buyer with the adequate bank balance who is looking at a step below the Civic/Corrola territory, the Honda City is almost a no-brainer. There is enough room and competiton can thrive in this space.

VW has tried to spread the product among both ends of this segment which although a welcome move might not be the most sensible thing to do.

The perception of the Vento should be handled to ensure it is projected as a Sedan and not a grown up Polo !
Saptarshi B is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 16:21   #289
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Probably and I get your point. But safety is paramount, and VW could also have taken a leadership stand wrt it, and tried to push up the image of VW cars by touting safety at all price points with the Vento.
In any case, we enthusiasts, need to highlight and emphasize on safety, and therefore, my stand remains the same regardless of price. VW wouldn't sell a car w/o airbags in Europe or ?
And leaving out ABS is downright skimping on safety. Skimp on some other features to keep price points if that's a must, would be my take on it...

When Nissan can offer an airbag with the base Micra at 3.99 , It is a blunder on VW's part to exclude this . Honda took the high ground on safety whwn the new City was launced with the Airbags and ABS. For a
European Marque like VW this is simply not done. The Base Ventois pretty low on equipment and the Comfortline is at a significantly higher price.

I believe this gives VW to introduce an intermediate variant at a later date when the initial rush has subsided. If Polo is something to go by, the Vento will be introduced in small numbers and with a definite tilt towards the comfortline variant. VW will be able to skim the market and then launch a variant to ramp up the numbers after 6 months " based on the feedback of the Indian car-buyers"
rajneeesh is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 16:32   #290
BHPian
 
anilkalvani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bandra West, Bombay
Posts: 628
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
FIAT A.S.S to be honest is not good. I am still waiting for my GP's music system to be rectified from past 40 days.
Exactly my grouse with these European cars, my Logan a/c conked off more than 3 weeks back, suction pipe is still not available. Though I love the heavy 'solid' feel of these european cars, my next car will be a Jap, solely on the basis of A-S-S and long term comparable reliability. Who has the time to run after the car in this competitive age.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 13th August 2010 at 16:34.
anilkalvani is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 16:57   #291
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,662
Thanked: 9,184 Times
Default

Today was exciting! The brochure is fantastic, makes the Vento come to life: interiors look stunning, an AT option at 50K cheaper than ANHC looks very tempting indeed!

Am a lil surprised at the reaction of some folks here: Verna and SX4 are not really contenders in my opinion- they are boxy, outdated cars and the market is crying for some fresh blood to compete with Honda.

My biggest apprehension is with the after-sales service (knowing the Skoda legacy). Apart from that, and a mention somewhere that there's no dead pedal (oh well can get used to that I guess), am all set for a TD.

_noop
noopster is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 17:18   #292
BHPian
 
Mevtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 198
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I wonder if you have some serious inside information about the Etios that made you say this?

It doesn't appear that the Etios will be anywhere near the Vento in terms of exterior or interior (space, fit & finish).

Or are you saying this simply because "Its a Toyota"?
I don't have any inside information.But its too early to say that the fit and finish of the Etios will be bad.Brand image and service will be a factor in favour of Etios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
As a matter of fact it might! I would want to go for the Linea because of its USP...the handling.If the Vento can offer something comparable, I would prefer it because of the better quality and reliability (?).

Why is it that all ANHC owners start getting defensive if anyone points out that an offering is better than the ANHC! We all buy our cars because they are the best for us. It doesn't matter what the world thinks, if your car stands up against what you expect of it.
I wrote the Linea's sales wont be affected much because its not selling in large numbers,it was not because of its USP...the handling .(Please no hard feelings Fiat lovers.I like FIAT cars but not the TASS).

Why should I defend ANHC?.I am not just a ANHC owner.See my signature.I am an ordinary car lover.Don't mind even if Honda will lose all the market share and become bankrupt.Honda dosen't give me any share of their profit.But I love my cars,both old and new.
Mevtec is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 17:25   #293
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

If GTO was next to a production white VW Vento 2 days ago, I suppose we are due for his detailed and superb as usual review very shortly.
That should lay to rest pretty much all questions / doubts / assumptions about the car.

What say GTO?
Satya79 is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 17:32   #294
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,713
Thanked: 88,943 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya79 View Post
If GTO was next to a production white VW Vento 2 days ago, I suppose we are due for his detailed and superb as usual review very shortly.
Quality is never acquired by accident . It takes a lot of time and effort. Please stand by, I'm as keen to share the review with you all, as you are to read it.
GTO is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 17:37   #295
BHPian
 
RemingtonSteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 569
Thanked: 168 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
Major difference from ANHC and Vento is Vento has a decent Diesel Engine. VW may be preffered for the Diesel option over ANHC as a diesel engine is cheaper than ANHC.
I agree with the above.
Vento Petrol will not create much dent in ANHC but with Diesel Vento it looks certain; but I feel it will just be a dent doesn't mean that ANHC will be out of race or won't sell anymore.
RemingtonSteele is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 17:50   #296
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 26
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Well these guys have already reviewed it. I hope a diesel automatic comes soon. Looks like it's the best engine for this car. Volkswagen Vento review - Ventastic!
squid is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 18:52   #297
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default

Looking at the brochure, I feel the Vento has more thoughtful touches than the ANHC - rear vents, steering reach and rake adjustment, height adjustable arm rest, rear reading lights, rear adjustable head rests, and front seat adjust from the rear. All else being equal, these things may swing the purchase decision in the Vento's favor.
StarScream is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 20:08   #298
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Well these guys have already reviewed it. I hope a diesel automatic comes soon. Looks like it's the best engine for this car. Volkswagen Vento review - Ventastic!
A overall very positive review from BS motoring I would say. GTO is keeping us all in waiting for his review, so I guess it must be very elaborate as well.
vineethvazhayil is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 22:41   #299
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

I pray got that Vento must be a Super Hit.The pricing is a KILLER

Honda should be taught a lesson ,so that they dont price a car like Jazz @ 8L.1L to 2L Premium for that BIG HONDA Badge? Not sensible !
joshguy is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 23:27   #300
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quality is never acquired by accident . It takes a lot of time and effort. Please stand by, I'm as keen to share the review with you all, as you are to read it.
Very true, and appreciate it.
Amartya is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs Abhinav667 The Indian Car Scene 239 10th April 2013 19:57
Volkswagen Vento 1.6 diesel highline ownership report diptimanraje Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 5 12th September 2010 00:57
Scoop Pic: Volkswagen Vento in Koramangala. Update its a Jetta being transported. hawrie The Indian Car Scene 1 24th August 2010 20:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks