Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th May 2011, 23:16   #31
BHPian

Default Re: That one thing which strikes a chord in your heart...always!

Being a diesel fan, I love the note when any diesel engine idles. No different with my Swift. Every morning when I start my car, I let it idle for a few minutes just to hear it. To me, the sound of a diesel makes it a class of its own.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 08:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

When i drive the Octavia everytime the turbo kicks in and i'm pushed back into the seat

This happened just last night, our Maruti 800 almost 22 years old and about 1.5 lakh km done went up a mall's parking lot incline on full load in 2nd gear !! Left me with a wide grin for the remaining 5kms of my journey
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 08:30   #33
BHPian

The whine of the supercharger along with the air being sucked into the CAI as you approach redline in a Mini Cooper S, a quick shift of the Getrag to the next gear....and it starts all over again!

Yes, it still brings a smile to my face!
benz220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 14:14   #34
BHPian

The sitting posture on my Ikon and the view I get...brings to mind the lines "I am the monarch of all I survey..." A. Selkirk, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
For me its the engine sound of my m-800 while doing 40-70 kmp/h in third gear, the roar(well not exactly) is just amazing.
Just curious ~70 kmph @ 3rd gear!
Gooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 14:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

The engine note as the car accelarates in lower gears, the response of the engine to throttle inputs, the lovely telepathic steering (though a tad heavy), the way the car responds to steering inputs, the on-the-rails handling with the tail stepping out from time to time (for a FWD car this is amazing), the way the doors close, the way the car still remains rattle proof after almost 7 yrs and about 90k of driving through hell and back. I have the ultimate josh machine (south of the BMW3 series) - the Ikon1.6 Nxt. Driving pleasure unlimited , add to it a good back seat. Its an all-rounder.

When I have to love the sound of an exhaust note through the gears, the mechanical sound of slotting into gears, rear wheel drive fun especially in the wet, a car that I always feel likelooking back at and keep looking - Fiat 1100D
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 14:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
A very unique topic indeed. I love to watch my Linea while in motion especially the view from the sides. The grace with which the beauty moves and turns corners is hard to put in words. Unfortunately I get to see my Linea in motion only when passing in front of glass panes of malls as I drive her 99% of the time.
[COLOR=#777]UKR[/COLOR]
Even me!! I just love the way it moves and when it revs from 3000-4000 RPM, it's just superb!
Naparajito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 14:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

It has to be the noise the engine makes as you rev it to the limit. Of course it depends on the engine, in my WagonR it's between 4000-5500 rpms. ANHC - above 4K and my dad's OHC VTEC all the way till 7100 rpm. I love OHC VTEC the most. It's done 170K+ kms but still is the most fun to drive (if you can ignore the rattles is has developed). Brilliant engine
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 22:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

What is that one thing that strikes the chord? Well four contenders:
  1. The way the Palio Multijet steering behaves on a bad patch or a sharp corner or under panic braking. It tells you just how bad it is.
  2. The way the bottom end torque keeps me moving effortlessly in city traffic and I can do kilometers in bumper to bumper crawls on first gear without using the clutch or brakes (some people criticise the short first and second gear ratios, but while it does not let you smoke others at the signal, it has it other advantages).
  3. The way the car surprises cars three times as expensive in fifth gear 80-120 kph on the highway.
  4. The engine note when I idle for 2-3 minutes (with my windows down) every night before shutting off. It smooth and soft.

I will probably say that the last one is the thing that is the most memorable. It makes me thank the car for having the first three, and it makes me thank God for another safe day on the mad roads of this country.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 22:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsport View Post
I own a Palio Sport. For me it has to be the throaty growl when I floor the accelerator. It's an amazing high hearing the beast come to life!
I agree, it sounds great [Driven it once, it sounds like a Ferrari].
I have the figo-P. This one has the growl as well which I like the most. [It might lack the low end, but the mid and higher ends, it screams into life]

But the one thing that I would love about my car is its handling. Give me a curve and I will scare the hell out of the occupants and the road goers.
vinya_jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:27   #40
BHPian

I own a Polo petrol 1.2L TL - for me it would be high speed handling 120-130km/hr (though for very less period of time say ~15-20 secs at a stretch).

Now this one may sound stupid of me - Polo being a relatively new car with not so many around attracts attention.

I would like to recall one incident when I was waiting in a traffic signal and a school bus stopped just beside my car and all of the kids were little kids max till class VII or VIII, and the guys stared at the car and pointed their fingers towards my Polo and started saying Polo Polo Polo to each other
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 00:02   #41
BANNED

The Growl of my Alto LXi when its Revved hard in the 2nd gear on Open stretch of Road.
CRtorquefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:38   #42
BHPian

For me the Car should be stylish and Spacious. I feel good when i am really comfortable.
jasmeetsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:55   #43
BHPian

For me the following things:-
1: the noise made by my scorpio's turbo when pushed hard.
2: the screeching sound made by the tyres when i attempt drifts over clover leaf flyovers.
3: the driving stance of my fortuner.
4: the way my BMW's speedometer, tachometer and other needles move when the throttle is pressed,
5: the way my 800 can negotiate heavy traffic.
.Albatross. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

It all depends on the car!
The two closest cars to my heart are the fiesta and the Galant.
For the former, it is the superb nimbleness and surefooted-ness it offers! I kid you not, but I haven't enjoyed driving another car as much. Also, the way I have to work the gears to get the most out of the 1.4L TDCi unit, is another fun reason.

For the Galant, it is simply the performance! A 3.0L V6, with one of the sweetest engine notes. It is an automatic with only 4 speeds, but this car has converted me back into a petrol head, especially at 6K RPM.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:44   #45
BHPian

The sweetest note when the car is pushed to 5K rpm in 2nd & 3rd gear(i do turnoff the stereo ). Watching the other cars disappearing in the rvm. My car is 1.6 GTX

Vijay.
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote