Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd May 2011, 12:10   #46
BHPian

Default Re: That one thing which strikes a chord in your heart...always!

I have a Palio 1.9 D,

1>The Steering response and feedback is just Amazing.
2>The ease at which she eats Highways at 100 -120 Km/hr for 3-4 hrs Effortlessly, with temp gauge hardly touching 1/4th mark and +45 temp.
3>Evey time the "thud" of Doors, and the weight of the Bonnet.
4> And every time we fellow Palio owners talks about car even after so many years.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:50   #47
BHPian

I have Honda Jazz

Right from the time I sit in car I get my heart beating for the rich interiors this car has to offer. I am simply in love with its dashboard.
The engine of Honda is super quiet.
Then not to forget its magic seat. I simply cannot write in words the joy i feel when people gets astonished by the size of car and the luggage carrying capacity it have. (Though used only twice)
<Badguy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Wow. So many posts, and none for stating that 'I feel I have got a responsibility to other non car folks'.

Sorry for being bit rude, but whenever I see a fancy car with all dark tinted windows rolled up high, with thumping music and the owner oblivious to the outer world being engaged with conversation very deeply, I can't feel anything but anger. Sure you paid for the car and hence deserve every bit of luxury it offers. But you are driving on a public road, which is sadly not covered in your car's 'on road' price. Atleast not fully.

The self sunk car driver doesn't care about the two wheeler rider who may not be experienced and yet to gain the full confidence to ride, the pedestrian who is crossing the street, even if speaking on phone, the cyclewala who hasn't got any reflector on his cycle, and thus almost invisible in night except from close distance.

I know, all the above scenarios are outer factors, and the car owner is not at fault. Yet I feel the car owner should be little more caring towards the lesser mortals with whom he shares the road. 'I feel at home with my AC and music on in car', and then I play a video game, where overtaking stupid vehicles and dodging useless pedestrians earns me points.

A dash by a car may result max a dent or a week in SC, a life lost or a limb lost is permanent. It is very sad to read each day, that some cyclist, some motorcyclist or some pedestrian is mowed down by an 'unidentified vehicle'. Doesn't this strike a chord in anyone's heart?

I am not generalizing, and in fact many of the responses are great to read, to see how the owners perceive their cars. But is is too much to expect the above in its least form too?

Last edited by ani_meher : 23rd May 2011 at 14:08.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:23   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
The self sunk car driver doesn't care about the two wheeler rider who may not be experienced and yet to gain the full confidence to ride, the pedestrian who is crossing the street, even if speaking on phone, the cyclewala who hasn't got any reflector on his cycle, and thus almost invisible in night except from close distance.
Isnt this a prejudiced and generalized view? Most people I know working professionals who earn decently and drive 8-10L range cars are very careful about pedestrians and cycle riders, mostly because they (including self) are middle-class law abiding citizens who are scared of getting into any trouble. On the other hand, I always see Indica/Sumo/Qualis drivers who are extremely rash driving and abusive on other drivers and users of the road. So I find it difficult to relate to your observation.
GS300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

Sorry man, I am not generalizing. But two days ago, my wife got thrown from her honda Aviator, a scooter, in an unmanned intersection because the pagero guy was busy on his mobile. A while ago, a lady colleague got pushed by an Octavia from the left hand side, and then the owner sped and put his car across the street to stop her bike, and got down to give her a lecture of how he could buy '50 of her bikes'.

I know these are isolated events, but at the same time, events that have a one sided severe impacts. I am only saying that bigger vehicles should show care, and smaller vehicles should show respect.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:39   #51
BHPian

For me, its the sweet music from the free flow exhaust as the revs pick, and the momo style steering wheel in front of me which strikes a chord.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:09   #52
BHPian

What would you expect from an old indica petrol ?

here is what it does to put a wide grin on my face every time:

1. I have stuffed it with people (9 at one point of time - my bro getting married and had to ferry people) and she pulls clean and effortlessly in 2nd and 3rd gear

2. So many times on the bypass lot of new cars think its a diesel and want to cut me short, I just downshift to 3rd and zoom out to only see them lost in my orvm.

I am crazy about these facts .
the-rare-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:20   #53

for me, one thing that brings a wide grin while driving is when i have no choice but to drive on a rugged/under construction road, the way the suspension is put into work and the smooth sway i feel in the car, in spite of the ruggedness of the road..., i feel like i'm getting a royal treatment...

Specially in vehicles like innova, you're almost shielded from the adventurous pot holes on the Indian roads.. I feel the same joy in my VW polo too..
MadhanBabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:38   #54
BHPian

for me it is the roar of the V6 engine of my Xterra when revved upwards of 4000 RPM. For a long time I made sure I redlined my truck at least once everyday.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:02   #55
BHPian

Hi,

Very nice thread indeed!

A couple of things sprung upto my mind about my Octavia (Laura):

1) The re-assuring thud when the door closes on you.
2) The clatter of the 1.9TDi engine which makes its presence felt.
3) The "tick-tock-tick-tock" sound of the direction indicators.

Gandhar
Gansbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

I'm able to relate to many posts in this thread and I can't agree more.

However I'm still waiting for the moment when I see the previous cars and scooty I've owned, M800 (sold 6 years before) and ikon (sold an year ago). Strangely I've never seen them. If at all I see them, I know I'd go crazy
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 16:54   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
The sitting posture on my Ikon and the view I get...brings to mind the lines "I am the monarch of all I survey..." A. Selkirk, right?

Just curious ~70 kmph @ 3rd gear!
The 3rd gear in M-800 can max out till 90km/hr(its written in owners manual also)so doing 70km/hr is not an difficult task at all.....its not i do something daily, its just for fun sometimes.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 15:06   #58
BHPian

Driving in the rain...

Sitting warm and cozy in the car with the windows up and nice music on. Waiting at the signal as if there is no hurry to get anywhere, wipers off and a fuzzy picture of the outside world, only to switch them on and see an ocean of water swept away to reveal a crystal clear and beautiful, wet world...

Strikes a chord in my heart
skjlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 22:47   #59
BHPian

My Punto MJD E+ will turn 2 soon.Her solid road grip and steering response is just fantastic. I realised how comfortable she is when she gulps the monstrous monsoon potholes with utmost ease.Ahh...that feeling of safety and comfort is definitely striking many a chords
ironshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 23:57   #60
BHPian

Just realised this thread has been in hibernation since long! Can we have some more thoughts flowing in guys!!
ironshark is offline   Reply With Quote