Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th February 2008, 12:34   #46

Hi Friends, I need your advice.
I have a Dec, 2004 Esteem VXI and it is running fine till now with 39K on the odo. It has alloys, new tubeless (bridgestone) at 33K, K&N filter, 10 CD changer, teflon coating done @ 32K and no claims on insurance. It is run single handedly and no accidents etc (touchwood).
I have a run of 1.5-2K kms every month and a mix of highway+city driving. Also take the car out for long drive once every quarter.

My queries:
1. Many people are pointing out that this is the best time to sell the car and go in for a higher car in 2nd hand market. Can you please advice?
2. What is the rough value for this car? On carwale etc, I am getting the range of 3.3 - 3.7 lacs.
Esteem77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 04:58   #47
BANNED

Smile Simple Question To All Will U Marry A Secound Hand Wife

hi
it seems strange for me that people here are saying to buy a secound hand car
for my way of thinking is useless
buying a car mainly in asian country i still beleive is luxury
for example u spend money on a car
u can use this money to travel by a taxi and would come out to be cheaper but
u donot buy a car for only traveling
having a car in some place have many advantages as well as disadvantage
for example when i buy a suburu forester 2.5 turbo
in china shenzen many supplier gave me a credit
on goods even i did not needed it
also defination of expensive have be changed in india
if u earm money u must spend it this is the way economy works
also for example i buy a car for 500,000 rupee
and plan to sell after 3 year
u calculate resell value to approx 250,000
if u can sale u have lost 50% value of the car
when u have used the car and had a pleasure of experince driving or using car so how u say u have lost money?
so is very strange
how some people think
also people who buy expensive car like mercedes or bmw
are not bother about price doing down in resell etc
i hope some people can understand here

narry

Last edited by GTO : 28th August 2010 at 16:22. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please
narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 04:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi

I see the cars of my comfort in travel as well as drive comfort. The resale value all depends upon ones usage. The car used more will fetch less the resale value based on its depreciation on Kms and the one used less will fetch a better resale value on the model of the year and the Odo recording. So I use it with out thinking of its future RSV.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 20:39   #49
h.k
BHPian

Used car market in India

Let me first talk about the certified used car market in India. Globally the Toyota was the pioneers of the organized used car business. Which gave them an upper hand in the used car business along with Toyotas product quality which made their car the most value for money car to buy. In India this maruti was the fist to adopt this format in the name of maruti true value. Is it worth to buy a car from true value or any such authorized used car dealers? Read on.

Buyer Side
I bought a maruti omini from maruti true value and 65000kms on odo with 3rd party insurance a 8 seater tax paid up to 2009 December for Rs. 1,40,000. In the year 2006 this car was a 2003 model. but only after I purchased the car I realized that the odo was not working which they repaired and gave and later it was not working again. What maruti claims is that it has 130 check points so I was confident but my experience was bad.

Now in the first day itself the car did not start because of battery problems and it was towed to service center later they replaced it with a better battery. (This would not been possible if I had bought it from and individual buyer) from then on the car is fine and I am using till date.

Now please make a note in 8 seater omini there is no lifetime tax which means u need to pay nearly 4000 Rs. Every 2 years. This wont to be informed to you while you purchase the car even at a true value dealer.

Seller side.
Assume you are the owner of the above Maruti that I bought, they would have informed you all the complaints and they would have said it will not fetch you more than Rs. 1,15,000 and since u have to upgrade the car you would some how sell the car.

Next option

Unorganized market.

Before you sell the car, go and ask the local used car dealers that you need a car how much shall it cost and see the condition of the car and then tell about your car.

You go and ask how much will your car get they shall explain the worst figures that you can get. Something like 50,000 less than your expectation and if you want the same car you would need to pay 70,000 extra for the same car.

So friendís advice you to give an ad in the news paper, and believe me unless you are lucky you would sell your car at poor rates, because 90% of all calls will be from brokers dealers and used car showroom people. And you phone never stops ringing and you will be fedup with the calls and later you may get irritated. Many dealers pose as actual buyers and cut down the price and make you believe that the car is not worth the money that you want to get this frustration will make you sell the car at a much lower rate and heavy pressure from the broker etc.

So which is the better option? The answer is: try all.
h.k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 20:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
This makes you and I a failed consumerist disciple

Somehow I have not been able to come to terms with discarding my previous cars - they used to run , maybe squeak a bit - but still run. I guess for me, its not the functionality of the old car that is the tipper in the sale decision - it's family's collective consumerist attitude
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 18:55   #51
BHPian

Default Resale Value

How important it is to know the following:

1.The resale value of the car we are going to buy today after 4-5 years / 100000 Kms?

2.Does the value of this car I am going to buy depreciate more than other cars?

3. Which are the cars have the best resale value?

MODS: I have not found any thread on this subject hence starting one. Incase there is already a thread please merge.

I am in the market to buy a new car. I have a well maintained 2006 March Indica Turbo DLG run more than 1.32L + kms for exchange. All the dealers when they see my car the only -ve point they can find is the km reading. But the problem is the resale value offered. I was frustrated when a Tata guy offered me a resale value for a Tata Vehicle less than a non Tata dealer. Does this mean the Tata dealer themselves are not sure of its quality?

As per the dealers all cars except for Maruti cars, Hyundai Santro & Accent others have bad resale value. Does this mean I should buy only these cars as I will be changing the car every 4-5 years?
I just checked the resale price difference of Swift VDI V/s Vista Aura for 2008 cars the price difference is nearly a lakh of rupees.

I would like your views on this topic.

Thanks
kiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

Any car having 1 Lac + on the odo won't have great resale, irrespective of brand. People generally shy away from high odo readings. They would rather go in for a similar year model that's been lesser driven.

You'll get a better deal if you sell to individuals rather than exchange through a dealer. And if resale is a big concern for you, buy a used car around 2-3 yrs old, depreciation will be less.

Maruti has the generally best resale amongst all brands.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 18:45   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
1.The resale value of the car we are going to buy today after 4-5 years / 100000 Kms?
Important. A car that has strong residuals will generally fetch more, irrespective of whether it has 10,000 kms on the odo or 100,000.

Quote:
3. Which are the cars have the best resale value?
Please search the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Any car having 1 Lac + on the odo won't have great resale, irrespective of brand.
I completely disagree. Are you trying to say that all similar-segment cars with 100,000 on the odo fetch the same money? Try comparing the difference in resale between a Swift D and a Tata Indica D, an Innova versus Xylo with 75,000 kms on the odo, or a Honda City & Hyundai Accent with over a lakh kms. You will be very surprised.

I reiterate, a car with strong residuals will always fetch a greater price than one without, even if both have 100,000 kms on the odo.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 02:07   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Important. A car that has strong residuals will generally fetch more, irrespective of whether it has 10,000 kms on the odo or 100,000.
Thanks for your reply & I agree with you.

But I was surprised to see a badly maintained/rough used 2007 Swift VDI getting a better price than a 2008 Vista with less odo reading. Even the zigwheels used price indicator says so.

sdp1975- Resale value is not my big concern. As my usage is very high I need to replace the car every 4-5 year after extended warantee expires to avoid any heavy repair expenditure & break down phobia.

I know as it will always be a self driven vehicle, I will always buy a car which I will enjoy driving.
kiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 20:54   #55
BHPian

Thumb rule for a car, every single km run will bring in approx 1.5 Rs in maintenance above your regular petrol bill, always keep this in mind, so a 5 year car with 20,000 km will be better than 2 year car with 50,000 km, this is irrespective of manufacturer.

Here we would loose on 3years of new technology, how do we counter that ?
binu balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 19:25   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
But I was surprised to see a badly maintained/rough used 2007 Swift VDI getting a better price than a 2008 Vista with less odo reading.
There you go! You've validated my earlier statement. The Swift D enjoys far better resale than a Vista, hence...

Quote:
As my usage is very high I need to replace the car every 4-5 year after extended warantee expires to avoid any heavy repair expenditure & break down phobia.
Phobia is the right word because your fear is just that. Most of the Japanese & Korean cars of today are built to last well over 200,000 kms without trouble. The days of changing cars every 4 - 5 years in fear of maintenance ended with the Padmini & Ambassador.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binu balan View Post
Thumb rule for a car, every single km run will bring in approx 1.5 Rs in maintenance
Certainly NOT for cars costing this side of 10 lakh rupees. You can maintain most 4 - 5 lakh rupee hatchbacks within Rs. 20,000 - 30,000 over 50,000 kms (40 - 60 paise a km). Even my Honda City, used uptil 73,000 kms, had less than Rs. 60,000 in maintenance on the car.

Either ways, the point of this thread is : Resale is indeed the silent killer. What you lose in depreciation is far greater than maintenance expenses.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 22:14   #57
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Resale Value - The Silent Killer

Resale means nothing to me; if the car is sound and has all the safety features. When I bought my Elantra GLS a used car dealer in Chennai asked me to go in for Honda City GXI instead, so it will fetch strong residuals at the time of selling; agreed the City was very userfriendly, but was absolutely "bald" as far as safety features were concerned, no Airbags, ABS, all wheel disc brakes, nothing. The difference in price between City GXI 8.5L otr and Elantra GLS 9.3L otr, too little for the features on offer. I went in for the Elantra instead and have no regrets, more than 5 years down the line.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 10:17   #58
BHPian

Default Kings on Resale

Cars that make you feel terrible when you want to upgrade -

Apparently in EU, the big names hold stronger resale value than small and low cost products unlike India (with few exceptions). Interestingly, the VWs dont top this list. When I had a discussion with a German, his view was - BMWs and Mercs or for example Porsche are built to last, these cars dont age fast whereas VWs though are known as VFM don't have a perception that these would last longer. Quite contrary to India isn't ?

Source: http://www.autobild.de/artikel/wertm...5-5580072.html
Attached Thumbnails
Resale Value - The Silent Killer-screen-shot-20150212-10.13.24-am.png  

vishnugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 11:21   #59
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kings on Resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
When I had a discussion with a German, his view was - BMWs and Mercs or for example Porsche are built to last, these cars dont age fast whereas VWs though are known as VFM don't have a perception that these would last longer. Quite contrary to India isn't ?
Which implies that built to last is just public perception floated surreptitiously. Or perhaps from that model released in 1980s ... a story which may no longer be relevant today.

I see some 30 year old Luna mopeds and Bajaj scooters still running fine. I have never come across the phrase built to last to describe a moped though ... So I wonder what the whole humbug is about?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 11:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kings on Resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
Cars that make you feel terrible when you want to upgrade -
Party because the Service there is 100 times better than what we get here in India. Because of this the cars are better maintained.

During the first few years warranty covers practically everything. The Rules and Regulations are so strict that a manufacturer or dealer would not take the risk of having a dissatisfied customer.
DSG gearbox was recalled in several counties but never in India?
http://volkswagenaustralia.com.au/DS...taryrecall/faq

Shows what the company thinks of us.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 12th February 2015 at 11:47.
Captain Slow is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote