Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th October 2008, 21:46   #286
BHPian

Just bought Tata Safari 2.2 VX 4WD a month back. Next car will be Toyota Fortuner , which comes with 164bhp diesel engine , rear differential lock, mind blowing looks and brand name of TOYOTA.
AMAN_SACHDEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 22:04   #287
BHPian

Currently own : Alto Vxi 1.1
Next car: Optra SRV
arpandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 00:11   #288
Senior - BHPian

I'm suurprised that there is absolutely no interest in sports or performance cars . And, i assume most of the folks here are on the younger side of life. Other than a feeble interest in sports cars exhibited by a few and mostly by NRI's , most of the folks actually aspire to buy dreadfully boring utility cars. Says much about the Indian psyche. Wish it were different!

Last edited by nickatnite : 31st October 2008 at 00:12.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 00:21   #289
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I'm suurprised that there is absolutely no interest in sports or performance cars . And, i assume most of the folks here are on the younger side of life. Other than a feeble interest in sports cars exhibited by a few and mostly by NRI's , most of the folks actually aspire to buy dreadfully boring utility cars. Says much about the Indian psyche. Wish it were different!
Its about what next you "want to"/ "you can" buy. Where are the sports cars? of course not in India! - Day dreaming is not allowed
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 00:25   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Its about what next you "want to"/ "you can" buy. Where are the sports cars? of course not in India! - Day dreaming is not allowed
We have to generate interest. If auto manufacturers know there is a market, they will offer products(sports cars) that they already have in their stable , and many at affordable prices and economical to maintain too. It is the lack of interest in sports cars , especially by young people in India, that baffles me. It is the opposite in the rest of the world.
Old 31st October 2008, 00:36   #291
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Car costs in India are disproportionate with the income here, compared to the developed world.

Cars here cost around 60-100% of a person's annual income [when you talk of the avg car users].

Sports cars are out of question, just b'coz of money!

The roads
The bumps
The fuel cost
are all secondary issues....
Old 31st October 2008, 00:38   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have to generate interest. If auto manufacturers know there is a market, they will offer products(sports cars) that they already have in their stable , and many at affordable prices and economical to maintain too. It is the lack of interest in sports cars , especially by young people in India, that baffles me. It is the opposite in the rest of the world.
Whats the 'affordable' price you are talking about?

Here, BMW 3/ Honda accord are considered huge luxuries by a majority of the population. I really wonder which sports car can undercut these in price!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 00:42   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car costs in India are disproportionate with the income here, compared to the developed world.

Cars here cost around 60-100% of a person's annual income [when you talk of the avg car users].

Sports cars are out of question, just b'coz of money!

The roads
The bumps
The fuel cost
are all secondary issues....
Not really. For eg., the Suzuki Cappucino runs on the same mechanicals as the Alto and similar econoboxes made by Suzuki. Toyota offers sporty and economical cars targeted at the youth in it's Scion range. Almost all auto manufacturers offer both affordable and sporty cars in their portfolio. There is no interest in this market segment in India by volume and therefore manufacturers don't bother introducing such cars. Remember the TATA Aria concept?. There was a lot of interest in it worldwide but not even a mention here. Why would TATA bother?. I give them high marks for attempting. All in vain.A sports car doesn't have to be a M3 or a Z06, does it?.

Last edited by nickatnite : 31st October 2008 at 00:56.
Old 31st October 2008, 11:51   #294
BHPian

Default Next car...

Mine would be the evolution X if it comes to India. If it does not I am going to stick to my Cedia
parichay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 14:32   #295
abk
BHPian

Gleaning from the experiences of our fellow BHPians on this forum, I've almost made my mind to jump to a Safari when I come back to India sometime later next year. However, not sure whether i should go for a 2 wheel drive or a 4WD. When I get closer to buying will probably seek expertise here by that time guess Safari would have evolved to another level betterment cheers:
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 16:30   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Because no matter how less you would try to keep the price of the sports car in India the taxes and all will keep it out of reach of most of the people.
Take for eg a Laura or a Accord, they are half the price available in foreign markets and so pricey in India just because o duties etc. In Uk you can buy a good second hand sports car in 10k pounds. All this will change in ages in India.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 16:34   #297
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Take for eg a Laura or a Accord, they are half the price available in foreign markets and so pricey in India just because o duties etc. In Uk you can buy a good second hand sports car in 10k pounds. All this will change in ages in India.
Man! The pizza delivery guy in UK came in a Laura!
Old 31st October 2008, 16:45   #298
Senior - BHPian

Just bought Altis, next target BMW SUV. Don't know which one as of now.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 17:11   #299
BANNED

My next car, atleast what Im wishing for is an Endeavour or Fortuner(if priced right).
But maybe I would have to settle in for a Safari or a Scorpio!
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 17:18   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man! The pizza delivery guy in UK came in a Laura!
Story of India! Guess i now have to think of becoming a pizza boy in UK
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote