Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd November 2008, 00:18   #301
BHPian

Current Car: Swift Vxi
Next Car: A 130-140 bhp diesel car with a magic carpet ride. Sedan preferred (need space for luggage AND a sub). The Linea seems to fit the bill. Ideally, would've loved a Chevy SRV TCDi VGT (droool!)
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:06   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Man! The pizza delivery guy in UK came in a Laura!
Man, Lancers / Civics / Corollas are delivery cars in the middle east and supposed to be semi-luxury cars in India..!!! And these cars cost just around 60% of what it costs in India. Blame it on Taxing or Over-pricing, this is the fact...!!!
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 15:11   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Man! The pizza delivery guy in UK came in a Laura!
That's right. The courier guy might also come in one. Skoda has a horrendous brand image in Europe, being part of the East European block of yesteryears. They don't have that negative image baggage here in India because no one knows how terrible their cars used to be before Communist East Europe broke up. Before they came to India one in a million Indians knew the Skoda name. So Skoda started with a clean slate here but not in Europe.
Incidentally Russi Mody drives a blazing red Skoda, here in Calcutta.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 15:17   #304
Senior - BHPian

People we going way off topic!! Lets stick to the discussion.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:45   #305
BHPian

Man, my next car would be the most stylish, powerful, and impressive Maruti Suzuki SX4. I donít know why but I just love the car from its exterior. I have yet not driven the car or had a test drive but I just die to buy that car. I will now make a direct jump to the SX4 or the rocking Outlander. I have heard that's also a good car.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th November 2008 at 15:47. Reason: FOnt & color tags are not supported by system so please dont use them
nanopano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:52   #306
BHPian

I wish I may have a Pajero but don't have enough money to buy the same. My next car will be a Safari / Scorpio.

Cheers!!!
deepgautam_qa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 17:42   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
My next car, atleast what Im wishing for is an Endeavour or Fortuner(if priced right). But maybe I would have to settle in for a Safari or a Scorpio!
Change of heart BHP1 I remember you commenting on how unsafe and untested Safari/ Scorpio are and also how uncomfirtable is Safari on other threads and we locked horns on elsewhere on the same

Last edited by amitk26 : 5th November 2008 at 17:47.
amitk26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 17:46   #308
Senior - BHPian

my next drive is going to be a 4X4 Diesel - Electric Hybrid or a fuel Cell driven compliant to Euro -5 / higher norms. Hopefully some one manufactures that at a reasonable price

I own a 2WD Safari 2.2 VTT so no need to upgrade any soon.
Old 5th November 2008, 17:59   #309
BHPian

Smile

I want to buy a SUV as my next car. I am little skeptical about the transition as I am using an Ikon Flair for the last 4 years.
I am kind of zeroed in on the Safari, thinking about waiting for the new model launch. Hope the build quality and handling will be better in the new Avtar.
RSimonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 20:06   #310
Senior - BHPian

i fail to understand how people are paying 14.5 laks for a tata safari and scorpio. id never pay such premuim on such brands ever. basic safari at 10 laks day light robbery
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 20:24   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
i fail to understand how people are paying 14.5 laks for a tata safari and scorpio. id never pay such premuim on such brands ever. basic safari at 10 laks day light robbery
the top end safari comes for 13.5 lakhs, very close to what you quoted! basic safari comes in 9 lakhs!
but the scorpio top end comes for 11.5 lakhs, all on road prices in mumbai. so nobody here is paying 14.5 lakhs for a safari or scorpio!

my next car would be a captiva... if i earn more, then hummer H2... if i earn even more, then audi Q7... even more, then a range rover!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 20:51   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
You do not have much choice between 9 to 14 Lakhs except scorpio and safari and both of them are VFM if you compare to MNC counterparts with same features. It is lot OT but to give a short answer read below for long answers susbscribe to Scorpio vs Safari threads.

If you need 4X4 with creature comfirts and modern diesel engine Safari is only choice under 15 Lakhs. Lets see what you get in top end Safari at this price today 4X4 selectible electronically , ABS , EBD , 140 PS power , Dual coil AC , Electrical OVRM , ICE with 2 DVD , Reverse Camera. Now compare that to any nearest comptetor with same / similar features (Tuscan , Endeaver ) Every things is above 16 lakhs) so I see it as quite VFM.

Base Safari at 9 Lakhs give you almost every thing ( Except ICE and Reverse sensors which can be retroffited) which competetors give you at much higher price point ( look at Captiva) so again VFM.

Top Scorpio at 11.5 L gives you ABS and Cruise control along with lots of other electronics but does not give you Air bag and 4X4 but then M&M realized pricing at 11.5 was not correct and gave big discounts to the tune of 90K pricing it just right.
Old 5th November 2008, 23:55   #313
BHPian

next car innova 2.5 diesel. my current cars are esteem, indica turbo and omni. will exchange the esteem for the innova
nawabnabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 13:07   #314
BHPian

Talking

Honda CRV .
I will have to earn a fortune to buy this softie.
ceejay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 14:04   #315
Senior - BHPian

I love the Civic and would love to own one but it would be the Chevrolet Cruze diesel for me. Add GM's free service thing and there really wouldn't be a better deal around. Kind of confused between Manual and Automatic with the worsening traffic situation in Mumbai but if GM gives us a 6 speed M/T with that stonker of a diesel engine then there would be no confusion!

Problem with Civic is the petrol motor and low GC.

Last edited by amit : 8th November 2008 at 14:05.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote