Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 19:00   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post
All the claim of rental people getting affected is another hogwash. The fact is that houses/ apartments with car parks cost more to rent. So is it fair that the rest of the city pay for the fact that you cannot/ don't want to incur that additional cost?
+100.

When you invest so much money on the car, its fair to take care of that in a safe / private parking place. I will take it this way.

No one is stopping car buyers. They are just encouraging prospective buyers to first take care of a slot to park his vehicle safe
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 19:21   #47
BHPian
 
AirWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 809
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Good move IMHO, my idiot neighbor parks both his cars ~ 4ft from the road shoulder in our 30 feet road in spite of having a garage making it nightmarish to navigate thru his cars.

I also suggest the govt. mandating some basic (ABS/Air Bags) safety equipment on tinny cars (800, Nano, Maruti van, Eeco, etc.,) thereby making them expensive, so lesser people can afford.

I also second the thought of bettering public transport and infrastructure - where the hell has those ridiculous road taxes for those literally non existent roads gone?
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 19:35   #48
BHPian
 
kadanaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 348
Thanked: 115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
You are misreading the intent of the introduction of the law here. The law is introduced not to curb parking problem but to reduce traffic congestions.
If there are good public transportation system in place, I believe many people would think twice before buying another car, which in itself will solve the parking and the traffic congestion problems.
In fact during my stay in UK, I did not buy a car even though I could afford one, just because there was a very good public transportation system in place. The bus stops were close to my apartment with very good frequency of buses to and fro from my workplace.
During my first job in Bangalore, we had company transport and I never did find a reason to buy another car for my commute as it was a very convenient option to opt for the company transport.

Except for few people, I do not think majority of the people buy cars to just show off. I for one bought my second car as it was an absolute necessity as I had no other options.
If you were in my position will you not buy another car or will you depend on the unreliable public transport system just because you cannot come up with a parking space.

Instead of this, the government could have added extra 2% tax on such car buyers who do not have a designated parking space and use that money in improving the infrastructure.
I am objecting to the very notion of imposing such restrictions on people instead of providing for a better public transport system and implementing other measures to control traffic congestion.
Initially disagreed with you, but when you say it like this, I can understand your plight.
It really is the governments duty to provide adequate public transportation facilities.
But on the other hand, you still don't have the right to park your car on public property.
This is the kind of ethical dilemma that makes my head hurt.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 27th August 2010 at 19:45.
kadanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 19:46   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
deky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default

Even if you have a garage there are lots of people who park their cars out on the road during the day. So is it ok to park your cars out during the day when they would cause most of the hurdles and parked inside during the night when the traffic is relatively less??

Anyways even in Jaipur there is a law that any car found parked outside on public road will be towed away and fined!!!
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 21:20   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Posts: 1,174
Thanked: 959 Times
Default

The onus should be on the authorities to ensure both the infrastructure and a working system in place to accomodate the increasing traffic, rather than opt the easy way out and put pressure on the public.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 23:16   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

I welcome this decision ,but this has its own advantages and disadvantages

In my street lot of cars are parked in the road haphazardly and there is literally no space for a cycle and car to cross each other .

BUT THIS SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED FOR COMMERCIAL VEHICLES FIRST AND SECONDLY IT SHOULD NOT BE IMPLEMENTED FOR THE SAKE OF GETTING ONE MORE REASON TO TAKE BRIBE !

Advantages
1 we can save our city/street from vehicle clogging
2 our next generation will atleast have roads to drive their cycle :-)
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 23:28   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

I think its a useless law and cannot be implemented. People will buy from neighboring states and bring the cars.
Just like HR, DL and UP16 thingy thats going in Delhi /NCR to save tax.

Its just that municipality and traffic cops need to uphold the law.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 23:40   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,581
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Traffic congestion occurs when people park their cars near commercial establishments. Am I missing something here. I dont recall any place in Bengaluru where residents parking near their homes results in traffic congestion. Please cite real examples.

Even if its present its very rare and is usually found at mixed use areas having commercial and residential areas very close by. This is a problem with zoning and the fact that commercial establishments do not have even a fraction of parking that they are supposed to have.

We should add a poll to see what the results would be.

Last edited by srishiva : 27th August 2010 at 23:43.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 00:08   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default

This is a stupid law. If you don't want people to park cars on the street, just put up a no-parking board. Unless there is a no-parking board, parking on any street for any amount of time is legal.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 00:32   #55
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

I don't think it is a good move. The gap between rich and poor will widen even more. Right now, only upper middle class and above can afford their own cars. After this law, only rich people (read: people who own property) can own cars.

So what's the solution? My suggestion is this: Improve the public transportation! Increase the number and frequency of buses, increase the number of bus stops, encourage private vans, regulate and get strict about autorickshaw and call taxi fares. Install signals in the junctions that need them. Identify where people violate signals and congestion happens often, and post a couple of cops permanantly there! Open "cycle/bike stands" in many places, so that people get encouraged to leave the bikes there and take the bus, instead of riding the bike all the way to office. Most people I know would definitely love doing this instead of riding some 20kms to office and 20kms back.

I can tell you, at least in my friends and colleagues circle, no one *enjoys* driving themselves to work! In some cases like mine, the nearest bus stop is around 2 kms from home. So taking the bus everyday would mean walking so far in the scorching heat, which just doesnt work. And I find riding a bike among those huge IT buses is scary - added to the fact that a helmet gives me a neck pain and makes my head stink - so I drive everyday! At least if autorickshaws charged normal fare, I would use them one way. If there were a cycle stand nearby, I would love to bicycle there and take a bus. Practically left with no other option, I drive to work everyday. The fact that I have parking space at home doesnt help anyone.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:31   #56
BHPian
 
puneet8796's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
This is a stupid law. If you don't want people to park cars on the street, just put up a no-parking board. Unless there is a no-parking board, parking on any street for any amount of time is legal.
So you are suggesting that every street, lane and by-lane have no-parking boards installed? And in Bangalore I have seen people brazenly parking even in no-parking areas (if they are not bang on main-roads), since they know nothing will happen.

I welcome this suggestion. Not saying that this is a perfect solution - but this would definitely help solve the congestion problem to an extent. Saying this since I stay in an apartment with a narrow approach road, and everyday, all the time there are cars parked on one side of the road - it makes really extremely difficult for other cars to go through. And there is no one where we can complain about this.
puneet8796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:54   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,581
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

I think Mizoram can have this law. Not many people might get affected anyway.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 18:22   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 1,006 Times
Default

I agree with the spirit of the law. You have to see some of the localities in Delhi, especially in South Delhi to appreciate the problem. Where once there were single storied houses, four stories have come up. Each household today has at least one vehicle, but two or more is common. There are regular fight for parking spots. In fact I read in one of the forums that somebody got tired of fighting for a parking spot in front of his house and hired a guard to keep the spot when he came home!

With vehicles proliferating in Delhi, we will soon run out of space (roads included) to park. If sufficient parking space is created within the residence and acquisition limited to available parking space we would all benefit.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:52   #59
BHPian
 
yzfrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: who cares
Posts: 778
Thanked: 118 Times
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post
All the claim of rental people getting affected is another hogwash. The fact is that houses/ apartments with car parks cost more to rent. So is it fair that the rest of the city pay for the fact that you cannot/ don't want to incur that additional cost? Isn't this a case of implicit subsidization of car ownership. Yet the same folks will gladly oppose other form of subsidization.
Pardon me, Which part is hog wash ?
You pay for the car, pay road tax, pay your taxes, rent.

And on top of all that you should pay more just because you have a car ?
Rents are through the roof and totally hyped up as we are paying 5 figures for rubbish. More money for the brokers then.

So it would be an excellent idea to squeeze more rent out, eh ?

See the flip side, you have a house and no parking space.

Its like Hey you have land and a house and pay tax for that. You can own a car, pay more tax and run it on the road. But you can't park it any place

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
When you invest so much money on the car, its fair to take care of that in a safe / private parking place.
Gives a whole new meaning to being "fair"
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 07:41   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

I am against government making a rule that person cannot buy a car without having parking space. In Mumbai most old buildings are without parking spaces as there were not many cars when these buildings were constructed. Of course the spaces near these old buildings could be converted to multi-storied parking houses. However, these spaces are choked up with slums. So in effect all suggested rules get applied to the tax paying citizens while common spaces are enjoyed by the "free" people. I strongly feel that the government should undertake to construct parking spaces across the city. The parking spaces can then be rented out to car owners. Upcoming buildings in the city are required to integrate parking space; that is therefore fine.
gostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your Dream Car / Dream Garage tsreekaranrao The International Automotive Scene 130 29th May 2015 22:13
Great move! Govt to build a road from Gujarat to Mizoram interest Route / Travel Queries 18 1st May 2015 14:23
Bangalore Car owners/ Enthusiasts - Beware of Selvams Car Garage PAVAN KADAM Vintage Cars & Classics in India 14 2nd March 2011 18:36
Guwahati, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Tripura mitchontheroad Travelogues 38 7th October 2009 08:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks