Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th May 2011, 13:09   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Renault India to launch 5 new cars in next 3 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Renault seems to have updated their website, following page has their upcoming models lineup.
I see..

Fluence - June 2011
Koleos - October 2011
Clio - January 2012
Duster - July 2012
Clio sedan / V platform sedan? - September 2012
A Renault insider just tipped that September 2012 model is Latitude competing with Accord/Superb and Renault is planning to bring Sandero instead of Clio hatch to remain competitive in price sensitive hatch market.

Last edited by vivekshukla : 10th May 2011 at 13:12. Reason: Breaking in information received.
vivekshukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 13:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
A Renault insider just tipped that September 2012 model is Latitude competing with Accord/Superb
Good news!!

Quote:
Renault is planning to bring Sandero instead of Clio hatch to remain competitive in price sensitive hatch market.
Strange! What happened to the talks of 'platform sharing' with the Micra?

Sandero makes more sense IMHO. It will definitely be cheaper than the Clio. Plus, the Logan platform is already here, it makes sense.
ashutoshb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 13:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

I though the hatch would be an all new one based on the Micra's 'V' platform as the Renault press release hadn't named the 'small car' like they have clearly mentioned about the Koleos and the Duster SUVs. Sandero, based on the Logan is already looking out-dated. Then imagine after almost a year down the lane. Oh please Renault, India is no longer a "Price sensitive" market as you are still thinking. I thought the Logan taught you guys something, but...
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 13:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

I drove a Sandero for 6 weeks. I found its ground clearance quite good. Mine was a 1.6 petrol 90 HP. It felt underpowered, because it is quite a heavy car for its size. I did not like the way it handled at above 140 kmph speeds (compared to Polo 1.4 petrol which I had for 2 weeks in between, which I pushed to 180 kmph). I did not like to drive it even in bumper to bumper traffic conditions.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 14:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I though the hatch would be an all new one based on the Micra's 'V' platform as the Renault press release hadn't named the 'small car' like they have clearly mentioned about the Koleos and the Duster SUVs. Sandero, based on the Logan is already looking out-dated. Then imagine after almost a year down the lane. Oh please Renault, India is no longer a "Price sensitive" market as you are still thinking. I thought the Logan taught you guys something, but...
Fluence and Koleos are Renault products and Duster comes from the affordable arm of Renault. I think, Renault is trying to have a line up which pleases all end of segments. It seems there's still lot of internal debate going on the product line up and Sandero is emerging as the winner. Remember, Sandero is a lot better model as compared to Logan; strictly in terms of design. If, Renault can launch Sandero at around 5 lacs range, it will be good competition to Toyota Liva, Honda Brio and ilk, whereas Clio will start eating their sister's pie - Micra.

IMHO - India is still very price sensitive market, would anyone have booked an Etios if it was offered at upwards of 8 lacs. And for such customers, a Sandero and Duster works very well.
vivekshukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 06:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

customers seeking an utilitarian type, functional small SUV at a vfm price would surely look at the Duster. Indeed this is the essence of this vehicle even abroad. One can see it is doing well in utility and value focussed markets like rural france, spain, portugal and of course, eastern Europe as well. The same logic would apply to India. This vehicle if launched at around the price being speculated will have a migratory effect on Bolero, Sumo Grande, Scorpio and Safari customers across the variants being offered, depending on the price.

Quote:
IMHO - India is still very price sensitive market, would anyone have booked an Etios if it was offered at upwards of 8 lacs. And for such customers, a Sandero and Duster works very well.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 17:46   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault confirms the Duster launch in 2012.

New Renault Duster Images, Renault Duster India launch confirmed in 2012 | DWS Auto India

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 18:27   #23
BHPian

Speculating at this news from the platform strategy — the Renault V-platform in this case — the most likely candidates would be
Clio
Twingo
Duster
Tiida / Versa.

Do keep in mind that the same platform will be used by Nissan too to introduce newer models by 2012. A single platform that offers the maximum variety is what Renault Nissan should look at.

Also, I read somewhere that in Europe the Koleos has had a dismal sale record. So dump it in India?
Gooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 19:58   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Oh please Renault, India is no longer a "Price sensitive" market as you are still thinking. I thought the Logan taught you guys something, but...
India is very much a price sensitive market and Logan taught Renault precisely that. I guess you wanted to speak on terms of premium hatchback / normal hatchbacks. Yes, India has improved a lot in terms of premium hatchbacks, but they still need VFM products.

Whatever cars they bring, I hope they price it / load it with decent equipment levels for the price. Mistakes like Logan / Fluence should not be done again.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 20:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Mistakes like Logan / Fluence should not be done again.
The Fluence hasn't even hit the roads, how can you brand it as a failure?
We still do not have numbers to back up Fluence's introduction in India as a failure. Even if the Fluence does not sell volumes, it could be an important product launch for Renault in India, until it comes up with a more suitable product offering. Keep in mind, the Fluence is doing pretty well globally.
Old 21st June 2011, 20:41   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
The Fluence hasn't even hit the roads, how can you brand it as a failure?
We still do not have numbers to back up Fluence's introduction in India as a failure.
I never said Fluence is a failure, I said its a mistake rather.

Frankly I don't see much of a difference even if hits the road. The major issue I see about it is the 1 variant launch, that too a stripped down version for Diesel [Also I have seen that this is one launch which didn't excite much of a t-bhp crowd and I expect to see the same behavior with common people as well]. It would have been much nicer if they had launched fully specced D just like petrol. With the petrol prices going north, I don't see much sales in petrol and I don't expect someone to buy a Fluence D when you have an excellent option called Cruze. And as long as we have products like Cruze / Corolla etc in those ranges where the Fluence is placed, unless we have superb products which can beat the value from these cars, its less likely to make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
Even if the Fluence does not sell volumes, it could be an important product launch for Renault in India, until it comes up with a more suitable product offering.
Wouldn't it be better to provide a product which sells more and keep your profits lower than not selling in good numbers? Renault goofed up Logan big time and if they keep repeating mistakes, how will they ever be successful ? The portion I have underlined in your post is even more dangerous. I, if am a company, I would wait till I can launch a product which is quite suitable than launching something which is not suitable and ditch my own brand value. [Again I assume you didn't mean to put it that way ]

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st June 2011 at 20:52.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 21:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

Frankly I don't see much of a difference even if hits the road. The major issue I see about it is the 1 variant launch, that too a stripped down version for Diesel [Also I have seen that this is one launch which didn't excite much of a t-bhp crowd and I expect to see the same behavior with common people as well]. It would have been much nicer if they had launched fully specced D just like petrol. With the petrol prices going north, I don't see much sales in petrol and I don't expect someone to buy a Fluence D when you have an excellent option called Cruze. And as long as we have products like Cruze / Corolla etc in those ranges where the Fluence is placed, unless we have superb products which can beat the value from these cars, its less likely to make a difference.

Wouldn't it be better to provide a product which sells more and keep your profits lower than not selling in good numbers? Renault goofed up Logan big time and if they keep repeating mistakes, how will they ever be successful ? The portion I have underlined in your post is even more dangerous. I, if am a company, I would wait till I can launch a product which is quite suitable than launching something which is not suitable and ditch my own brand value. [Again I assume you didn't mean to put it that way ]
To introduce a new retail product, and that too a car, requires a ton of effort. This includes understanding the Market from it's customers and legislations, building a brand, building a network and building manufacturing and supplier facilities. All of these things take a long time. For a volume low cost car, all of these need to be at an optimum to achieve the price points required. That does not happen overnight.

However, targeting a higher price point helps in developing these channels. Buyers at these prices are not averse to going for a fresh choice and have the wherewithals to purchase it. Launching the Fluence is a brilliant move in my opinion. Plus they have Nissan to address other segments already.

Also, the press release and the announcements, and to a certain extent, even the website, are not currently targeted at us, the end customers. These are standard corporate moves to ensure that the dealer and supplier network can be built easily. No car buyer, who wants a set of wheels today, is going to wait for a couple years after hearing this announcement. It is the supplier and the dealer who will read this and take notice.

Besides, the Fluence will become cheaper with localisation. I also expect a good correction in the premium sedan segment because of this move from Renault. This is how Indian Market will become what the US and German Market are today.

My two cents...
sidoza is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 21:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Frankly I don't see much of a difference even if hits the road. The major issue I see about it is the 1 variant launch, that too a stripped down version for Diesel

Ah! I understand what you are saying and much of the debate in the Fluence's thread And I agree to most of the justifications and arguments of why the Fluence (in its introductory variants, powertrain options, powertrain options coupled with creature comfort options) is 'destined' to be a failure/mistake.

All the debate is from an 'potential Indian car buyer's' perspective. What I am trying to emphasize is the fact that Renault is trying to re-enter the Indian automotive market. It tried once earlier, chose the 3rd best indigenous automaker, M&M, in India for local insights, but somehow failed with the Logan. <Okay, I feel this will take long to explain/>

Try thinking from the OEMs perspective. Buy time, launch a globally successful sedan, a very base variant so that the the BigMc index is taken care of, then figure out which platform vehicle offers greatest variety, given the present production line facilities, and then gradually start introducing vehicles that meet local tastes. This is how auto R&D works
Old 21st June 2011, 22:19   #29
BHPian

(Sorry I noticed this after 30 mins) Although the Fluence might not sell well, but trust me, it WILL NOT sully Renault's brand rep in India. The Fluence is not a Logan.
Old 21st June 2011, 22:51   #30
BHPian

Can we play a guessing game? The Renault India website shows 4 cars in wraps. I am looking at the Renault.com website to guess the vehicles by their shape and size.
ananth_iy is offline   Reply With Quote