Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 30th August 2010, 14:02   #16
BHPian

Default Why a new thread?

Not sure if this merits a new thread given the fact there are at least 3 existing threads talking about Santa Fe's launch in one form or the other..
Old 30th August 2010, 14:05   #17
BHPian

It would be a nice oppurtunity for Hyundai to make a mark in the Premium segment. So far they were not successful. Hope Santa Fe helps them to re-establish themselves in the higher segment. Pricing would be a key though.
Old 30th August 2010, 14:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

The first drive report is put on the BS Motoring website. Here is the link

Mods: Please delete this post if its not appropriate to post the links.
Old 30th August 2010, 14:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul016 View Post
Bro did you see the Sonata or the Santa Fe?
I saw Santa Fe in Black. Nepal doesnt has any manufacturing plants. It was a pure CBU.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:16   #20
BHPian

Good thing that they are finally bringing the Santa Fe to our shores,but at 22+ lacs I doubt whether anyone will go for a Hyundai.IMHO,they should have opted for the CKD route to keep the prices down.
Old 31st August 2010, 00:29   #21
BHPian

Santa Fe is not that much huge. In reality even Scorpio have better road presence. Also the front end design looks plain. When we don't have something we feel the one we don't have is better than what we have. CRV and Captiva looks much much better than Santa Fe. But if we compare it with Tuscon, this might be more proportionate in dimensions. Interior looks neat. I have traveled extensively in Santa Fe last year and this is what i felt. May be Santa Fe is better than all SUVs launched by Hundai in India so far.
Old 31st August 2010, 01:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul016 View Post
According to Mr.Saxena (Director Marketing & Sales) if the sales pick up then they will think of building the car in domestically.
Typically Hyundai - Make a pretty good product. Price it pretty high. Kill it because of lack of sales! Want examples? Getz CRDi, Elantra CRDi, Tuscan, Terracan...

If they can sell the Santa Fe for 24 L on-road in spite of it being a CBU, image what the truck can do to the sales chart if it is made here and priced at 12 - 15 L (assuming they pay more than 100% duty for the CBU!).
Old 31st August 2010, 02:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

I can see another flop car coming! Sorry to say this but I'm sure that this Hyundai SUV wont find buyers at 22-24 price range. The wait for a good SUV that betters the Fortuner is still goin on.
Old 31st August 2010, 08:20   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
According to Mr.Saxena (Director Marketing & Sales) if the sales pick up then they will think of building the car in domestically.
This statement from a top Hyundai India executive seems to personify the lack of direction from Hyundai India of late. Seriously, havent they heard of market analysis before launching a new vehicle, rather than making statements like the one above ? The image beating a manufacturer takes in India for introducing and pulling out poorly marketed models is immense and one would think Hyundai India is aware of this by now.
Old 31st August 2010, 08:37   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
rahul016 : Bro did you see the Sonata or the Santa Fe?
@Rahul, Sonata is a car. Santa Fe is a SUV. Is there a confusion in your question above ?

Last edited by condor : 31st August 2010 at 08:49.
Old 31st August 2010, 08:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Typically Hyundai - Make a pretty good product. Price it pretty high. Kill it because of lack of sales! Want examples? Getz CRDi, Elantra CRDi, Tuscan, Terracan...

If they can sell the Santa Fe for 24 L on-road in spite of it being a CBU, image what the truck can do to the sales chart if it is made here and priced at 12 - 15 L (assuming they pay more than 100% duty for the CBU!).
I dont understand their marketing strategies either. Do you guys remember an advertisement for Getz or Elantra CRDi? I dont.

Their marketing seems to be stopped with Verna. Why dont they advertise their higher segment products like they used to do for i10, i20, and Santro.
Old 31st August 2010, 09:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

at 22+ Lacs on road a Santa Fe will lose out heavily to the Fortuner.
Most people will go for a Fortuner owing to the Toyota badge which is definitely preferred by the majority, to the Hyundai badge.

It might have been better for Hyundai to indigenize production and parts for the Tucson and lower the price to bring it closer to reality. Same thing applies to the Santa Fe.

Even Toyota should be doing this to the Fortuner thereby making it more accessible - their capacity will be booked out for the next 5 years if they do that!!
Old 31st August 2010, 11:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

The INR 22 lacs pricing is prohibitive.
But, it is the only SUV under INR 30 lacs that offers (almost) 200 BHP on tap. And the interiors need not be that average (common) as in case of Fortuner (also, plagued with never-ending waiting period). The low slung profile of the car may actually help in better handling than most SUVs. It is also longer like the Q7 (as mentioned in BSM first drive). With the Diesel Motor & seating for 7, it may sell better than the CRV, which is why Hyundai are trying the CBU option initially. When the sales pick up to decent numbers, they have the option of assembling the same here & then the price will reduce to Captiva/ Fortuner levels IMO.
These days Hyundai is trying to improve its image from maker of cheap cars only. Probably this is why they are pricing it high & gauging market response on Santa Fe.
Old 31st August 2010, 13:15   #29
BHPian

I was really waiting for Santa Fe to be launched but even if priced at the same level as Fortuner, I would comfortably pick Fortuner with my eyes closed and put a RaceChip in it.

If Hyundai is interested in any numbers, SantaFe should be slotted well below Fortuner. Fortuner will be an increasingly easier choice for 95% of the people if Hyundai dreams about pegging Santa Fe above Fortuner. IMHO it would be another huge mistake from Hyundai to price Santa Fe above Fortuner. If the pricing is 22 lacs, there are very good chances that this too will go the way of the dodo like Terracan and Tucson. Both were really really good vehicles but completely let down by their pricing.

The CBU route simply wont work in this case...

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 31st August 2010 at 13:19.
Old 31st August 2010, 13:59   #30
BHPian

What i have seen in India is that the soft roaders are not volume sellers.Whether its CR-V,Captiva,Outlander or maybe the upcoming Santa Fe they do not appear to be worth the 22 Lakh + badge.

Fortuner look far more expensive than its price and that's what attracts the buyer more.I feel its a better value for money car.Plus Toyota has a premium brand value compared to Hyundai.

Do you guys think that the soft roader segment will ever be a success in our country?
Closed Thread