Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2005, 15:49   #1
BHPian

Default Do Euro-III norms affect the performance of the car

I was just wondering if the upgradation of cars to Euro-III norms places any restrictions on the performance of the car.

Just puzzled about discrepancy in the Technical Specs for the Euro-II and Euro III models:

Power figures for the Euro-II Baleno on the website and in old brochures from Maruti:

Compression Ratio 9.2 +- 0.2:1
Max.Power output PS 94 bhp @ 6000rpm
Max. Torque 132 Nm @ 3000 rpm

Figures for the Euro-III Baleno on the NEW brochures issued by Maruti which are updated for the new features in the Vxi (Climate control etc..)

Compression Ratio 9.0 +- 0.2:1
Max.Power output PS 91 bhp @5500rpm
Max. Torque 130.5Nm @ 3000 rpm

Has the engine really been tweaked or is it just a mistake?

I had recently driven my friend's 2002 50K+ km old baleno and it felt slightly more peppier than mine which is 2005 5K km old.Same for the Zen.So There.

Last edited by imjimmy : 23rd November 2005 at 15:52.
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23rd November 2005, 15:57   #2
BHPian

Apology for being off topic, but is it possible to convert an Euro-II car to Euro-III (after buying)? The way govt. is introducing Euro++ (especially in metros), it's very difficult to cope with.
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 19:17   #3
Joz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
I was just wondering if the upgradation of cars to Euro-III norms places any restrictions on the performance of the car.

Just puzzled about discrepancy in the Technical Specs for the Euro-II and Euro III models:

Power figures for the Euro-II Baleno on the website and in old brochures from Maruti:

Compression Ratio 9.2 +- 0.2:1
Max.Power output PS 94 bhp @ 6000rpm
Max. Torque 132 Nm @ 3000 rpm

Figures for the Euro-III Baleno on the NEW brochures issued by Maruti which are updated for the new features in the Vxi (Climate control etc..)

I had recently driven my friend's 2002 50K+ km old baleno and it felt slightly more peppier than mine which is 2005 5K km old.Same for the Zen.So There.

One of the differences between Euro II and Euro III norms is that, in Euro II emission levels were checked 40 seconds after starting the vehicle, whereas in Euro III the same emission levels norms need to be met at cold start. To meet the new norms, Maruti, apart from shifting to 32 bit processors, also moved the Cat Con closer to the exhaust manifold. Keeping the cat-con closer to the exhaust manifold results in increased back pressure and hence a slight power loss.

I guess this could be one prime reason why you see a slight power drop between the Euro II & Euro III Baleno.

As emission norms become stricter, the cat-con will need to be placed closer to the engine, and this might also result in a shift from ceramic cat-cons to mettalic cat-cons in the future.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 23:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
To meet the new norms, Maruti, apart from shifting to 32 bit processors, also moved the Cat Con closer to the exhaust manifold. Keeping the cat-con closer to the exhaust manifold results in increased back pressure and hence a slight power loss.
I guess this could be one prime reason why you see a slight power drop between the Euro II & Euro III Baleno.
Thanks for the explanation, makes sense. I think it's there in all Euro III vehicles of Maruti that have been upgraded from Euro II. I experienced the same with Euro-III Zen also. But then the FE of Euro III vehicles tend to be marginally better.
Old 25th November 2005, 01:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz
One of the differences between Euro II and Euro III norms is that, in Euro II emission levels were checked 40 seconds after starting the vehicle, whereas in Euro III the same emission levels norms need to be met at cold start.
But, why did they drop compression ratio for this?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 10:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that's puzzling. Usually Euro III cars have a better compression ratio and generally require higher Octane fuel.
Old 25th November 2005, 11:17   #7
Joz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower

I am not sure about that part. Shall try and figure out.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 11:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
...Figures for the Euro-III Baleno on the NEW brochures issued by Maruti which are updated for the new features in the Vxi (Climate control etc..)

Where did you see these figures? Maruti's updated web site still mentions 94 bhp @ 6000rpm and 132 Nm@3000rpm. See http://www.marutibaleno.com/comparisons.asp
msprabhakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 11:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Where did you see these figures? Maruti's updated web site still mentions 94 bhp @ 6000rpm and 132 Nm@3000rpm. See http://www.marutibaleno.com/comparisons.asp
I had gone to the Maruti's sales showroom. And they were issuing the new brochures for Maruti Baleno updated for the recent changes in Lxi/Vxi.

The new things were: Alloys, Mp3 player and climatizer added for the Vxi in the brochure(with New written in bold). The catch-slogan was changed to "Owner's choice" from "Surprising Performance" that used to be the USP earlier. Of course,the power figures were different w.r.t older brochure and the website. BTW Maruti's website is never up to date.

Maybe it's some sort of a careless mistake from Maruti giving inconsistent figures.I don't know if the new figures are true.
Old 25th November 2005, 14:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
BTW Maruti's website is never up to date.
Neither is Hyundai's. Don't know why they can't run a basic business process like this well in spite of being such large firms.
zabcd is offline   Reply With Quote