Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th December 2010, 16:00   #91
Default Re: Your expectations from Tata / Mahindra products that cost over a Million Rupees

More than anything, the Sales and Service experience needs to be a whole lot better with both the companies.
I have yet to have one service in the 6 years that i owned my scorpio that went off uneventfully.
That having been said, I think M&M are filling a void between the ~10L scorpio and the ~18L fortuner with an SUV that'll become their flagship model. And simply because so far there isn't too many options in that 12-15L range SUV wise, I think it'll fair well. And for that reason only, i might just consider purchasing it... after all, i know the devil I'll be dealing with in this case
I'm sure M&M are burning the midnight oil to ensure that the W201 is the best they've produced so far. The only thing that might screw things up for them is the shoddy service experience. Hope not!
kaiserketkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 16:05   #92
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Your expectations from Tata / Mahindra products that cost over a Million Rupees

From the time this thread began, Tata and Mahindra have launched their most premium offering, the Aria and XUV500 which are on the roads for some time now. While the Aria is hardly seen and seems to be underperforming, Mahindra have scored a win with the XUV. On the other parameters IMO if the have improved (+), same (=) not (-) for T and M

• Product Finesse & Quality : = +
  • Dynamics & Road behaviour : + +
  • A+ engines : = =
  • Space & Packaging : + +
  • Overall dealership & service experience: - -
  • Suspect reliability & frequent niggles : = +
  • Top Level of equipment : + +
  • VFM Pricing : = =
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 06:30   #93
Distinguished - BHPian
Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Originally Posted by mgh
Manufacturers are in the business to make money, so the price point can never be irrelevant. It is always about the price point and the development costs.
Don't deride Indian companies. What makes you think that they are not quality conscious, not concerned with processes, not concerned about reliability etc, and that they have a 'Jugaad' attitude?
QC from the Japanese-how many lakh Toyotas were recalled recently in the US?
Hyundai does not have a good rating in the US.
The Indicas were styled in Europe, and they were priced aggressively.
BTW, ISO requires that the final product to meet specifications (written or otherwise) and a method to rework rejects if possible. Original (pre-V2) Indica had two major problems in a number of cars.
1. Rear suspension
2. Belt noise till the car warmed up
In the V2 and the old ones, the shocks were changed and a redesigned idler pulley was put.
Almost all major manufacturers of any item in India have ISO certification (9000 or 14000 depending on industry), and the highest international quality control award, The Deming Prize, has been won by TVS twice. So do not think that Indian Manufacturers do not know about quality control, and need to 'learn' it.
No derision here. Unfortunately in my experience it is more about ' diligence and discipline in practice ' or the lack of it, rather than either 'knowledge and learning in theory' both of which latter qualities we have in excessively large quantities. It is possibly the lack of sufficient attention to the former that causes these gaps in quality from piece to piece in the same product line itself!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote