Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Which transmission would you like?
Paddle Shift 49 43.36%
Stick Shift 47 41.59%
Automatic Shift 17 15.04%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2006, 08:47   #31
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,883
Thanked: 9,704 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan
From a long time I was considering getting an auto (now paddle shift) as a SECOND car for city use. Driving inside Bangalore city is a serious pain with all the traffic bottled up, and if I don't have to constantly shift gears, that would be great.

But, when I am out of town, on an open road (not neccessarily straight), an auto box would kill the joy of the whole thing, right?
With the kind of torque on your car, you probably do not need gears
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 09:04   #32
BHPian
 
tadukuttan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 241
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
With the kind of torque on your car, you probably do not need gears
Actually true, but then I share this one with my wife, and she is not very happy with the trigger happy nature of accelerator, and she pretty much refuses to drive this around town. And I end up playing "driver" too often.

Which is why something "easier" drive, maybe an auto(with paddles so that I can also have a bit of fun?) is probably going to be a second car...
tadukuttan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 11:04   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess?
IMHO, the Honda Civic has a very crappy version of paddle shift but hey, atleast they are starting getting new changes in.
Why do you say that? In fact it is one of the few which let you stay in the gear you choose, even till you redline. It also allows you to downshift. Yes, the computer still controls some aspects to save gearbox/engine.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 18:00   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: Once
Default which shift??

Well let me have my opinion. I voted for stick shift ... but I would surely prefer paddle shifters too for both up and down shifting.

I would not like to have an auto box, because of mileage issues and also I like to choose the gear I will drive in, not an auto box!!

Paddle shifts, will not help me stay awake .. I guess stick shift will not let you sleep even if you want to ....
vincentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 18:15   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentt
Well let me have my opinion. I voted for stick shift ... but I would surely prefer paddle shifters too for both up and down shifting.

I would not like to have an auto box, because of mileage issues and also I like to choose the gear I will drive in, not an auto box!!

Paddle shifts, will not help me stay awake .. I guess stick shift will not let you sleep even if you want to ....
Well, in an auto box, you do have some say in choosing the gears - depends on how much you press the acc. pedal
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 23:11   #36
BHPian
 
dustDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surat/Pune
Posts: 155
Thanked: Once
Default

Considering what Adarsh and Mugen were discussing, in a thread that has been shifted here..... only having a control of when to change gears does not help increase the efficiency. Infact it will result in a drop... because the controller used in an auto box is programmed for a perfect mix of performance and efficiency. The other major reason in drop in efficiency compared to a manual box is the presence of a Hydraulic Coupling (OR Fluid Drive) which itself is a wasteful device on the energy front!
dustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 01:21   #37
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

i wouldnt mind a paddle shift...first for the so cool factor..and then for the simple fact that its easier to operate than a manual transmission.i think what honda has done with the civic automatic is perfect for india and a lot of manufacturers will end up following the same lines.it gives you the option of driving on auto in traffic and and on an empty stretch of road u can pretend to be m.schumacher/jenson button or whoever u like....
now imagine a paddle shift on a palio 1.6....wheew
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:25   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustDevil
Considering what Adarsh and Mugen were discussing, in a thread that has been shifted here..... only having a control of when to change gears does not help increase the efficiency. Infact it will result in a drop... because the controller used in an auto box is programmed for a perfect mix of performance and efficiency. The other major reason in drop in efficiency compared to a manual box is the presence of a Hydraulic Coupling (OR Fluid Drive) which itself is a wasteful device on the energy front!
Agreed. On driving AT Civic with medium pressure on pedal, I noticed AT shifting at around 4k rpm, just about peak of torque curve. However Civic AT with 5 speed and ultra flat torque converter, may not result in too much drop in FE, maybe just 10% as compared to 20% in say other MT vs AT cars such as corolla. Let us see what long term AT owners have to say about FE.

And the AT has surprisingly decent pickup as well, in spite of all the slippage, I felt it had much better pickup than my 1.3OHC.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 22nd August 2006 at 10:27.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:38   #39
Team-BHP Support
 
Rtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,769
Thanked: 212 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
Why do you say that? In fact it is one of the few which let you stay in the gear you choose, even till you redline. It also allows you to downshift. Yes, the computer still controls some aspects to save gearbox/engine.
Hey Sandeep, take a look at Guess?'s profile to see what he drives and you will understand why he thinks what he does of the Civic paddles
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:43   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Hey Sandeep, take a look at Guess?'s profile to see what he drives and you will understand why he thinks what he does of the Civic paddles
Well, he is part of lucky few so well I guess it is understandable. The post anyway was for us poorest of the poor motoring public in India...
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 16:16   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
ST7677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Paddle Shift is just another form of Tiptronic which should make lot of sense to hybrids like us - i.e. in between hard core enthusiasts and lazy bones...

Personally, I have driven lot of Autos in India and US and I believe the Paddle shift is a very good compromise between a Manual and an Auto option. I am sure, everyone who has driven an Auto would at times wish that they had more control on when the gear changes - this is exactly what the tiptronic lets you do.
The best would be DSG option by VW/Skoda, which is not available yet, but for all practical purpose Honda Civic Paddle shift is equally good (except for slower shifts compared to DSG).

See it's like this - at times you are spirited and want to rev the car to your tunes - you want manual
at other times - you are in bumper to bumper traffic and you want a fully auto car (may be even an automatic accelerator and the steering wheel)!

Tiptronic let's you play both these roles in same box. While the Auto option is as good, the Manual option is little less compared to the complete manual (there are torque convertor losses).

For this very reason tiptronic makes lot of sense in India = spirited + comfort...

As for Using Paddle shift as implementation of tiptronic, individual;s will vary in their tastes.

But then which other car produces paddle shift / tiptronic in India and also gives it at no extra cost (than a usual AT gearbox) - just Honda Civic.

Which means (in case of Honda Civic)
Paddle shift = regular Auto + Tiptronic + Paddle Shifts @ cost of regular auto tranny only!!!
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 18:02   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 229 Times
Default

Exactly what occurred to me. For normal auto difference of about 70k, honda is actually giving paddle shifts, 5 speed and grade logic. That is quite a bit VFM IMHO, especially for self drivers or whose drivers can never change gears smoothly.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 20:09   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 146
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
Why do you say that? In fact it is one of the few which let you stay in the gear you choose, even till you redline. It also allows you to downshift. Yes, the computer still controls some aspects to save gearbox/engine.
It actually isn't that I don't like the programming of the Paddle-shift but the thing is that they could've given a hundred times better feel by just adding larger and better quality paddles. That was the thing that ruined it all for me. The paddles currently just make my hands ache and don't work correctly making my engine over-rev sometimes until I depress the + paddle once more by when I get worried that my engines fried. Just some quality issues if sorted out would make the system just perfect IMO for the Indian roads.


P.S. I know many of you think that paddles won't work in India, but IMO they actually suit the needs of the buyer to a T. Leave aside the fact that people generally prefer manuals due to better fuel economy, but the paddles work perfectly for chauffeur driven/older/highway/city runs while the kids/sportier times, you can have the fun of an almost manual when you really want to rip a car.
Guess? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 20:21   #44
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I test drove the MT and then the AT. Actually the paddle shift did it for me! It is great to have auto in traffic and fabulous to have paddle shift when the mood arrives.
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 11:14   #45
BHPian
 
yeis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 237
Thanked: Once
Default

Neither I like Automatics nor Paddle-shifts. Manual is more than enough for me. As far as paddle-shift is concerned, it seems to be an accessory to me.
yeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5) abhinav.gupta88 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 88 2nd October 2016 11:59
Added: Paddle Shifts on my Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi abhinav.gupta88 Modifications & Accessories 45 4th October 2015 16:28
HM shifts focus, will bring out new SUVs with Mitsubishi. Will it work? captain.torque The Indian Car Scene 20 31st January 2013 14:29
BUSA's Review : Civic AT(Paddle) and MT Test Driven BUSA Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 380 21st October 2008 15:59
VW Passat 3.6 V6 (with Paddle Shifts) amit Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 19 21st February 2006 12:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks