Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 11:20   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I completely agree. The Beat's legroom is actually pretty good for the segment. It isn't a weakness, rather the rear legroom can be a selling point.

The only thing going against the back seat is the lack of light (thanks to limited glass area), and the resultant feeling of claustrophobia.

Which cars do you include in the segment? I guess the leg space in Beat is similar to I10/Swift and not in the league of a Figo.
The rear seat does feel claustrophobic due to very less glass area and is a place where I, for one. will avoid seating at any cost.
Another thing is - the rear seat is narrow and can't sit 3 people which might be a requirement for some prospective buyers.
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 16:44   #92
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Thumbs up wake up everyone !

Sometimes I'm amazed at the way people make comparison.

a. Beat has less boot space than Figo / Wagon R
This needs to be looked at in perspective. Sure the paper figures might show that the boot space is less. However, the bear provides an option to fold part of the rear seat and covert it into boot space. In this mode, 3 people can be seated in the car the the total boot space is much more than any other car in the segment. What is the probability that you'll have more than 3 people in the car - an need a lot of boot space ?

b. Beat sales are reducing
Well - are sales increasing for other brands? When beat was introduced, it had no competition. With the launch of Figo, Polo and now the new Fabia the total market volumes have been divided amongst all of these products. Figo has spent a lot of money on advertisement, therefore its sales are higher but I don't see them continuing this high volume add campaign for too long. Soon their sales will also start reducing and eventually most of these cars will sell in similar numbers.

c. Chevy's service compared to Hyundai ?
I owned 2 Santros and I now own a Scorpio. Hyundai's service is in NO WAYS better than Chevy's. My wife got a beat in September and it's been driven 2000 Kms. During the first 1K service I spent the entire day at the service center trying to compare. Chevy's service is better than Hyundai and Mahindra. I've never owned a Maruti so I can't compare.

While I like Hyundai's i10 and Ford Figo, there's no doubt that the build quality of a Beat is excellent, the engine is powerful and we're already getting an average of 12 kms in city with AC on all the time. The fact that it's come with a 3 year no expense maintenance for 45k kms gives us absolute peace of mind and will make the car cheaper to own in the long run. I know that for the Santro, every time it went to service, we paid bills of anywhere between 2k to 3k.

At the same time, buyers now have choice. It's upto a buyer to decide and choose what they like. We haven't regretted buying the beat despite all these new launches.
slylenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 11:56   #93
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

Beat is really VFM Product.This december with raining discounts i was about to buy Beat PS or LS and almost in the last minute changed my mind. But the major dis-advantages buying the same in my personal opinion is:

1)Very low resale value/ rather no one is buying a used Chevy car.

Atleast i have to own the car for 6-7 years if i buy now. The resale value is generally low considered to the Swift or i 10. So for this reason i would like to stay away from any of the Chevy product.

We people discuss the pros and cons of the car in the forum. This is not the same for everyone outside this forum. For a person who know nothing about cars in the outside world understands chevy as not a good product when compared to Maruthi and Hyundai. So ground reality is the resale vaue of the chevy car is normally very low.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 12:29   #94
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,204
Thanked: 4,816 Times
Default Re: wake up everyone !

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post
Figo has spent a lot of money on advertisement, therefore its sales are higher but I don't see them continuing this high volume add campaign for too long.
Without fail, I spot Nano and Chevrolet advertisement everyday since 20th. (For Spark and Beat)

I regularly see new Beat being added to roads almost everyday.

In a nutshell, it is selling, but not out-selling its competition (i10 majority)
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 13:06   #95
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

Yes you are right. Beat is selling but not out selling. The ratio between beat and other cars are:-

Swift-12198
Ritz-6377
Beat-2547
i 10-14617
Punto- 699
Figo 5482
Micra - 1029

Courtesy-The above figures are quoted from Nov 2010 car sales thread by GTO.

To consider i 10- i 10 is selling 5.74 times more than Beat..

May be this december sales chart may show a good amount of Beats being sold because of the the mouth watering discount.

But any day if i were to choose a car, i will anyday go for i 10
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 16:14   #96
BHPian
 
quadmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 396
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

But any day if i were to choose a car, i will anyday go for i 10
May we know why? Because of A**/resale?
quadmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 16:22   #97
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
May we know why? Because of A**/resale?
I am not aware about the difference in After sales service of Hyundai and Chevy because of the reason that i have never owned a Hyundai or Chevy. What i understand from various forums and threads that the service of the Hyundai is great.

As far as the resale value is concerned i know what i am talking because of the reason that a single day delay will lead to losing the car in case of Maruthi or Hyundai. But that is not the case with Chevy, people are not buying at all . I have seen some spark, Aveo, Magnum not selling months together.This in not to offend any Chevy car owners,it is just my opinion and observations.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 23:53   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 1,081
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Atleast i have to own the car for 6-7 years
Are you sure Beat (the brand) will be around for 6-7 years? There is a good chance Beat will be replaced with a cheap model from its Chinese partner. Because of this uncertainity. i wont recommend it to any one, no matter how great the car is.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 12:59   #99
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Are you sure Beat (the brand) will be around for 6-7 years? There is a good chance Beat will be replaced with a cheap model from its Chinese partner. Because of this uncertainity. i wont recommend it to any one, no matter how great the car is.
You have misunderstood. What i said was i am not interested in Beat because of the reason that the resale value may be very low down the lane for about 6-7 yrs and i 10 is preferable in this situation.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 15:51   #100
BHPian
 
theoriginal9321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lucknow, UP
Posts: 111
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Are you sure Beat (the brand) will be around for 6-7 years? There is a good chance Beat will be replaced with a cheap model from its Chinese partner. Because of this uncertainity. i wont recommend it to any one, no matter how great the car is.
Sorry, I didnt get your point, do mean the car Beat would be replaced or chevrolet (the brand) itself would get replaced? Does chevy have a chinese partner?

And considering the spark hasnt gone out of production in India like it has in foreign countries, I doubt the beat would be so quick to go.
theoriginal9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 18:00   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

I am reallt not worried about what car will replace my car 6-7 years down the line. I never buy it keeping those kind a points in mind

People go in for an i10, because a majority, it is their only or first car and they are vary of experimenting. They prefer going with a known devil than an unknown angel. It is the same reason why several people still go in for nokia over sevral other very good phones. For instance evn Micromax.

For one, I am happy i bought it and even more happy as it will maintain some amount of exclusivity, rather than seeing hundreds on the road
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 19:48   #102
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I am reallt not worried about what car will replace my car 6-7 years down the line. I never buy it keeping those kind a points in mind

People go in for an i10, because a majority, it is their only or first car and they are vary of experimenting. They prefer going with a known devil than an unknown angel. It is the same reason why several people still go in for nokia over sevral other very good phones. For instance evn Micromax.

For one, I am happy i bought it and even more happy as it will maintain some amount of exclusivity, rather than seeing hundreds on the road
I agree with you, but the normal market outside will not understand the technicalities of the car. However good the car is the behaviour of the market rules. If i10 is preferred over Beat in the market then obviously it fetches more resale value.That is what i meant.

Between i cannot accept that Beat is superior to i 10.

i10 is proven, well understood and the best car as far the segment it relates to.The 1.2 Kappa is much more refined,and performing one. If you have doubt just take a drive and compare it with Beat.There are chances that your opinion may change. (No offence meant)
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 20:10   #103
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kolkata
Posts: 927
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

The Beat is a fasntastic car to drive, the seating position is very good the suspension is one of the best, you hardly feel any bumps entering the cabin, the pricing is good too, it's about 375k onroad here in Kolkata, with the current discounts. In my opinion it's the best VFM hatch out there, and I would pick the Beat anyday against the Figo when it comes to Petrol, if Beat comes out with a Diesel, than again I would prefer the Beat over the Figo as far as the driving experience goes, something about driving the Beat, it just feels so right, but got to admit the Figo diesel engine is a gem, but I don't like the seating position and suspension wise I think the Beat is much better. I soo wish the Beat had the Figo diesel engine.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 29th December 2010 at 20:13.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 23:36   #104
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

The i10 is no doubt good, and when it comes to driving it, have been there done that umpteen number of times and since it was launched.

As you said very rightly, it is very cleary your opinion "Between "i" cannot accept that Beat is superior to i 10", no one can change it. And am happy that "you" feel so

Most recently, have driven several small cars, and for ME, the Beat emerged as the winner and I am happy with it. I am also a big fan of the Hyundai and have owned several Hyundais, so agree than the i10 is decent as well

For me and my wife, the Beat is purely for fun driving. Cheers and God Speed
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 00:24   #105
BHPian
 
rangarx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Udumalpet / Che
Posts: 269
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I guess GM is still not a favorite brand in India. That's the main reason behind it. Think of a customer who is in need of a car around 4 Lacs. He will only think of Maruti, Tata & Hyundai only as a first preference. If he is not satisfied then only he will turn to other brands which didn't happen many times. As customer is won by cars like Wagon R, Santro, i10, Vista etc.

This is my thought
One main reason is Chevrolet is not a brand as strong as Ford here! Period!
rangarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda plans diesel City to beat heat from competition EDIT: It's still 2+Years away diffsoft The Indian Car Scene 95 8th May 2013 18:49
Mission BEAT the HEAT; Summer Dhamaka - Trip I to Kodai luvurride Travelogues 16 18th June 2010 14:24
Front facing Vs Rear facing Vs Side facing seats in MUVs/SUVs ritz830 The Indian Car Scene 20 11th July 2009 16:55
Beat the heat - suggestions required kalpeshc Shifting gears 40 17th April 2009 07:50
How about a Mid May Beat-the-Heat Meet? (Hyderabad) furioussphinx The Team-BHP Meet Section 50 21st May 2008 11:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks