Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th September 2010, 11:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
IMHO this would have generated a lot of excitement a year back, but Tata did the wrong thing by doing that "limited bookings, indefinite waiting" act and condescending attitude.

Even if it is a 1 lakh car or 1.5 lakh car, people are still paying for what they get, and the company is not doing the customer any favor by selling them the car. They are still "customers" and expect to be treated like customers.
The 'limited booking, indefinite waiting' act was not a act put on by TATA. The production took backseat due to Singur issue and thus the delay in getting products to consumers. Those who wanted it, waited for it and are a happy bunch.

Quote:
Ok, if we should talk about other options, then IMHO the *best* option at this price point is a used Maruti 800. At least you can rest assured that it will not burst into flames. And no one says "Yuck" when you drive out. And every other mechanic shop can repair most things in the car (except the MPFI parts like ECU).
An used 800 would never generate feelings like a brand-new car be it a Nano or 800 would. Especially for those who are buying an entry level car for the first time. The feeling is special as they put their hard earned money. So they rather do it on a new car rather than go the used-way and have heartburn. Not every one agrees with concept of 'Pre-Worshiped Cars'.

3 out of 50k Nano has burst into flames and you make it a big deal? There are plenty other cars like i10, city, ritz bursting in flames. No one really made a big deal about it. Please don't go by hearsay, see what TATA's have taken action against those flames.

For me 800 looks more 'Yuck' than Nano. But its entirely individual opinion, so please don't generalize and not everyone takes their car to road side shop. They more or less play similar havoc like the service center.

And sorry to say, but i see no point discussing this in EMI thread. Its already being discussed in the following thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ysis-pg34.html
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 14:33   #17
BHPian

I do have replies for all the points, but since the consensus seems to be that this I not the topic or thread for that, I will respect that and refrain from taking the argument further. Looking at the thread title "Tata nano at EMI of Rs 1900", I started giving my views on that, but the topic now seems to be "What is the best option at an EMI of Rs. 1900", which IMHO should be in the "What car" section.

If I had Rs.2 lakh, I would anyday consider these instead of Nano:
1. Used 800
2. Used Alto
3. Used Santro

The reason is, Reliability. These car are tried and tested. Getting these serviced or repaired is much less a hassle than getting a Tata serviced (my personal experienc with both Maruti and Tata). You get more space, you get a boot, respect on road, and there is no denying that these are excellent cars. So.. Three year used Santro or Alto. More power, more respect, better looks (yes it is subjective, but there is something called a general perception), better dynamics, better tyres, more space. Only thing lacking will be the "new car" smell. It is up to the buyer to decde whether to sacrifice all this for the new car smell :-)

Last edited by rajushank84 : 10th September 2010 at 14:37.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 16:27   #18
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Rajushank84 - Yes we all have different views, which is why all the cars in the market sell. It is nice of you to restrict the views on this thread to the best value vechicle for 2L.

For Rs. 2L

Infact even upto Rs. 2.5L

The best car in my view is the Nano LX. I would infact go ahead and fit the wider tyres on all the wheels, get alloys and still be at a cost advantage to the 800, Alto, Santro, Spark etc, with a much more modern, spacious, safer car.

I guess there can be those who are convinced by the Nano and those who are not, and neither set can be convinced the other way, so lets leave it at that.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 16:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the interesting thread, airbender!

@rajushank84, if we all go by the "used car" logic no one will buy a new car! A relative of mine told me that in New Zealand you can buy any car, almost all models are available, BUT all of them are used cars, mostly imported from Australia, the UK and Singapore. (Don't know this is entirely true).

It'a statistically true that instead of buying a new Punto MJD you can almost buy a used Lancer/Cedia/Octie/Scorpio. You will get all those plus points that you mentioned, of course. But there are certain things in life that you cannot buy or count, for the rest, there's this "used car theory".
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 19:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I do have replies for all the points, but since the consensus seems to be that this I not the topic or thread for that, I will respect that and refrain from taking the argument further.
thanks for your co-operation.

Lets limit this discussing EMI's for all options we have in the market. If anyone thinks car A is a better option then please quote the EMI for that car so that we can understand what options are there in the market for the buyer who wants a buy a car using loan. I would prefer to limit this discussion to only new cars but if any one wants to talk about used cars, it would be better to talk about EMI's charged for that car. Also, how easy is it to get financing for a used car and what will be interest rates.

Please limit the discussion only to EMI's.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 19:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I had Rs.2 lakh, I would anyday consider these instead of Nano:
1. Used 800
2. Used Alto
3. Used Santro
The question of EMI arises only when one does not have Rs 2 lacs ready! If on the other hand, you can mention at what EMI one can buy the above used cars vis a vis the nano @ Rs 1892 PM, it will be fine for this thread!

Interest as well as EMI for used cars will always be a lot stiffer than for new cars.

Last edited by Gansan : 10th September 2010 at 19:52.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 19:37   #22
BHPian

Yes, Used car is always an option regardless of the price point. But, the big difference here is that normally we will avoid used cars because the reliability is questionable. Whereas in the case of Nano, our perception (based on past experience and what we hear) of a reliability of a slightly used Alto is higher than that of a new Nano.

Anyway talking about EMI of Rs.1900, what is the downpayment, interest rate and no of years? Which version of Nano would we get for Rs.1900 EMI?
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 19:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anyway talking about EMI of Rs.1900, what is the downpayment, interest rate and no of years? Which version of Nano would we get for Rs.1900 EMI?
Down payment is Rs 21k (IIRC) Term is 7 years and it covers 85% of on road price. All these calculations are based on the base version.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 13:51   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The reason is, Reliability.
For what its worth, my best friend got a Nano for his Dad about 6 months back. Two services done. The single issue that came up was some noise from the front LHS suspension which was sorted out in an hour. Lets not forget that the Nano is mechanically simple. Generally, with Tata & Mahindra, the less parts you have, the better.

Also, since this thread is on the EMI factor, note that interest rates on used cars are substantially higher than that on a new car. The correct comparison for a new Nano will be vis a vis a new 800 / Alto, not used. Though I'm a lover of used cars, I will also accept that they aren't everyone's cup of tea.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote