Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th December 2005, 03:58   #61
Senior - BHPian

Guys I believe we must watch out for the price first. They released the first octavia at a good price. THe high price discussed here doesnt really gel with their strategy.

1. Either they dont have Indian MBA's hired
or
2. They think Indians are dumb.

Either ways they are gonna trumple big time.
Old 14th December 2005, 05:38   #62

Thumbs down Skoda Laura Launched for 18.10 lacs On Road

Hey Buddies , So finally the Skoda Auto India has launched the car named Laura for 18.10 lacs and this version is the top end version named Laurin and Klement(L&K). I went to the launch party and here are my two cents ..

1) From the sides , the car looks exactly the same as the current model .
2) The interiors are of supreme high quality and the car is fully loaded with the DSG gearbox and has all the features of the world but i was very disappointed with the interior space of the car . I did not find any difference between the Octavia and the Laura as far as the front seats and the cabin width are concerned ,which is a shame .. the rear is little more spacious but overall preety small in size compared to its rivals , the Accord and the Camry .
3) The car does not give a feeling of a 2 million rupee car , its way behind the accords and the camrys .

Arush - I am not sure its 140 bhp cos i remember salesman telling me that it is the same engine as in the octavia but the power has increased marginally .. Believe me dost , you ll not take this car even for 16-17 lacs on road cos IMO , it just doesnt give you that feeling of superiority when compared to its rivals ..

Steeroid - Yup the car (octavia rider 1.9 tdi) has the ex showroom price of 11 lacs in New delhi , the price further goes down when you add those cash dealer discounts for 25-30k ,it comes to 11.75 L(approx) on road .

Beemer - After reading your posts , it seems you are all ready to go for the Laura but let me give you a friendly suggestion that this time the Skoda India has got it all wrong and we (i and my friend) had a word with many people out there and no body gave a positive response and all they were saying was .... Honda Accord v6 !
Old 14th December 2005, 05:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

I think its was by Fluke that skoda got the Octavia magic right.

Just see how superb has flopped.
Laura will be a second in a row.

If Laura is even a marginal success. I will feel ashamed of being an Indian and this I say from my heart.
Old 14th December 2005, 05:52   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
I will feel ashamed of being an Indian and this I say from my heart.
Just Chill buddy we can understand the sentiments and let us be hopeful that Skoda india dont find the takers for Laura , so that they realise the Blunder they ve done .
Old 14th December 2005, 07:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

So the cat is out of the bag...
The newly launched 'Laura', comes at a price tag of Rs 16,81,081 (ex-showroom Delhi). This is a six speed transmission powered by a 1896 cc diesel 'Pumpe Duse Engine.
Old 14th December 2005, 07:52   #66
BHPian

Default Laura launched..

http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/Laura.html
Gives more info..

Its a 1.9L petrol engine! (0-100kmph in 12.2s), top speed of 189kmph, 105bhp engine, BSIII compliant, but fully loaded with features..

Last edited by rangaraj : 14th December 2005 at 08:03.
Old 14th December 2005, 07:58   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think its was by Fluke that skoda got the Octavia magic right.
I don't think so. The Skoda Octavia sold well because it was the only car in its segment to offer a diesel option. One hardly gets to see the old 2.0 Petrol model on our roads. The Corolla and Optra still have only petrol models on offering.
Old 14th December 2005, 08:00   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If Laura is even a marginal success. I will feel ashamed of being an Indian and this I say from my heart.
Chill guys !!
The car has been named after the most powerful woman in the world, Mrs. Laura W Bush. Please dont make fun of her. She must be 'superbly' popular in Czech Republic.

Last edited by Mpower : 14th December 2005 at 08:03.
Old 14th December 2005, 08:19   #69
BHPian

Default Confused!

The Indian website of Laura mentions the engine to be 1.9 PD with 77KW performance and mentions fuel to be premium unleaded petrol! The main international website mentions it to be a diesel engine.. I guess besides the strategy, they get these small details of what fuel to put in the car wrong too! I would never pay 20L (i guess the on-road price in bangalore will land up to be that) for Laura..

Again they seem to have screwed up.. With a price like this they should have put the 2.0 TDI PD/103 kW (138bhp) engine atleast..

Last edited by rangaraj : 14th December 2005 at 08:23.
Old 14th December 2005, 08:33   #70
Team-BHP Support

They should have done the Innova/ Honda City approach and replace the old model totally. If you notice, these cars have a solid demand still. I doubt anyone would have looked at the Qualis/ OHC after these came in if sold side by side

BTW - A second hand Superb fitted with performance suspension might be a tempting prospect
Old 14th December 2005, 09:41   #71
Senior - BHPian

Born to drive: 'I KNOW' that the octy II is not coming with the 140bhp 2.0tdi engine, thats why ill never buy it! 18 lacs for a 104bhp? All i can do is giggle at that. I was planning a new car till the end of this year, i guess ill wait for the New Vitara or Fortuner to come by.
Old 14th December 2005, 09:55   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'I KNOW' that the octy II is not coming with the 140bhp 2.0tdi engine, thats why ill never buy it!
Try and find out why Skoda is not launching that engine in India. I think it's because of low quality diesel avaliable in India. In fact, high sulfur content diesel is the reason why the Passat 2.0 D is not being launched in North America. Even the 2.0T FSI works differently in North America then in Europe. In Europe it's called Fuel Stratified Injection whereas in north America VW calls it Fuel Straight Injection.
Old 14th December 2005, 10:07   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
this time the Skoda India has got it all wrong and we (i and my friend) had a word with many people out there and no body gave a positive response and all they were saying was .... Honda Accord v6 !
Quote:
Quote:
you ll not take this car even for 16-17 lacs on road
So much of hostility towards a car thats offering DSG with the Pumpe Duse technology! For donkey's years, I have been reading posts from all of you whining about how Skoda is not launching the Pumpe Duse diesel engine here and about how DSG is not being brought here. When it's here we are still not satisfied! Anyway, everyone here feels Rs.16-18 lacs is too much for a car equipped with DSG transmission. DSG shifts faster then the Ferrari Enzo and BMW M3's transmission. Here is a million dollar tip for free. When the car comes into the showroom, drive the automatic Octavia A4. Right after that take the Laura for a test drive. You guys will see the difference for yourselves.
Old 14th December 2005, 10:15   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Dosent the Octavia L&K version make more power (110 hp) than this PD.
Old 14th December 2005, 11:00   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
So much of hostility towards a car thats offering DSG with the Pumpe Duse technology! For donkey's years, I have been reading posts from all of you whining about how Skoda is not launching the Pumpe Duse diesel engine here and about how DSG is not being brought here. When it's here we are still not satisfied! Anyway, everyone here feels Rs.16-18 lacs is too much for a car equipped with DSG transmission. DSG shifts faster then the Ferrari Enzo and BMW M3's transmission. Here is a million dollar tip for free. When the car comes into the showroom, drive the automatic Octavia A4. Right after that take the Laura for a test drive. You guys will see the difference for yourselves.
And how much do you think a similar car with similar specs would be retailing in Canada?
Pricing it right also plays a defining role in India.You are right! For Donkey's years,We have been paying through our noses than the other half of the world for everything inc fuel. Look at how small / mid size car sales have risen in the US after the gas prices reached $3+ / gallon (post Katrina).In B'lore the Rider TD retails for 13+ lacs on road.
Closed Thread