Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2011, 09:25   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

found the details on how to use this SMS service

txtWeb | @autofare - txtWeb
originalamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 10:19   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Compare this with Airfare approximately at being Rs 2 per Km !
+ infinity to that

For those who curse Chennai autos,try Trichy

IMHO that Taxi drivers in Mumbai are the most trustworthy ; dirt cheap.There are bad guys,but they are well within the normal distribution curve.

The only warning here - beware of taxi drivers at Dadar who approach you at the W.Rly Express Train platform.Never engage them;walk out to Dadar East and catch a wayside cab.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 15:20   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
girishglg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: KA-05
Posts: 1,079
Thanked: 425 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Autorickshaw drivers in the city are demanding that the minimum fare be revised to Rs.24; Rs.12 for every kilometre after that. On top of that we have to regularly bear all the nonsense from the auto drivers who refuse to ply to a particular destination, ask flat exhorbitant rates etc and now prepare pay even higher.

This is ridiculous since the last time the fare was hiked in July 2010 when the minimum fare was hiked by a steep margin from Rs.14 to Rs.17
At this rate it would be out of bounds for the common man to travel in the humble autoriksha. Even now it is better to travel by the city taxi that charges Rs.13 per km for an Indica and Rs.17 for Indigo/ Logan in Bangalore. Read the article containing the demand for the hike -

Bangalore autorickshaws demand minimum fare Rs24 - Bangalore - DNA
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 01:35   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ghaziabad/Hyderabad/Mysore
Posts: 1,416
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Autorickshaw drivers in the city are demanding that the minimum fare be revised to Rs.24; Rs.12 for every kilometre after that. On top of that we have to regularly bear all the nonsense from the auto drivers who refuse to ply to a particular destination, ask flat exhorbitant rates etc and now prepare pay even higher.

This is ridiculous since the last time the fare was hiked in July 2010 when the minimum fare was hiked by a steep margin from Rs.14 to Rs.17
At this rate it would be out of bounds for the common man to travel in the humble autoriksha. Even now it is better to travel by the city taxi that charges Rs.13 per km for an Indica and Rs.17 for Indigo/ Logan in Bangalore. Read the article containing the demand for the hike -

Bangalore autorickshaws demand minimum fare Rs24 - Bangalore - DNA

They will price themselves out of the market - taxis cost about the same.

However keep in mind that food inflation is hitting the lower strata of the society much worse than middle class.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 02:25   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
IMHO that Taxi drivers in Mumbai are the most trustworthy ; dirt cheap.There are bad guys,but they are well within the normal distribution curve.

The only warning here - beware of taxi drivers at Dadar who approach you at the W.Rly Express Train platform.Never engage them;walk out to Dadar East and catch a wayside cab.
Taxis and autos are so cheap in Mumbai, makes one feel we live in a different countries.

On the other hand, I got fleeced by an auto from the airport to the IOC guest house which is just adjacent to the airport, I had to pay 100 bucks as agreed since I did not know the distance. I walked back to the airport (10 mins)when I had to leave.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 1st December 2011 at 02:33.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 10:48   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Auto fares in Pune as of 1 December 2011:
Minimum Rs. 11
Every 1.00 increment = Rs 10.
Hence total meter reading of 10.00 translates to Rs. 101
The rough calculation is Rs. 10 per KM (based on my experience). This is very close to the Mumbai taxi fare which starts at Rs. 16 for (1.6 KM, I guess).
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 11:47   #52
BHPian
 
a*ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 170
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Autorickshaw drivers in the city are demanding that the minimum fare be revised to Rs.24; Rs.12 for every kilometre after that. On top of that we have to regularly bear all the nonsense from the auto drivers who refuse to ply to a particular destination, ask flat exhorbitant rates etc and now prepare pay even higher.

Bangalore autorickshaws demand minimum fare Rs24 - Bangalore - DNA
@girishglg - This is so totally ridiculous! I hope the government puts an end to this auto menace soon!

Last edited by a*ed : 1st December 2011 at 11:49. Reason: Rephrased the sentence
a*ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 18:09   #53
BHPian
 
burnt.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
This is ridiculous since the last time the fare was hiked in July 2010 when the minimum fare was hiked by a steep margin from Rs.14 to Rs.17
At this rate it would be out of bounds for the common man to travel in the humble autoriksha. Even now it is better to travel by the city taxi that charges Rs.13 per km for an Indica and Rs.17 for Indigo/ Logan in Bangalore. Read the article containing the demand for the hike -

Bangalore autorickshaws demand minimum fare Rs24 - Bangalore - DNA
If we can detach ourselves from the point of view of the end user, and take an unbiased view - It is a pretty fair demand. Do consider the fact that inflation hits the lower section of the society much harder than it hurts us. Ideally they should be able to atleast rent a small house and send their children to schools so that atleast they'll get out of the vicious cycle of poverty. I dont see how that's going to happen in a city like Bangalore with their meager incomes considering that most of them are just drivers driving for others or have to pay back loans(mostly local money lenders at exorbitant interest rates) on the vehicle.

While I am totally against their money making tactics - I do feel the basic reason behind this is the ridiculously low rates decided by the government.

Last edited by burnt. : 1st December 2011 at 18:13.
burnt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 19:15   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
girishglg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: KA-05
Posts: 1,079
Thanked: 425 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Agreed we should have an unbiased view. But the real question is if their economics require them to bump up their price to a level such as Rs.24 and Rs.12 per km, then how do the taxi companies earn their bread? Don't the cars cost twice the rikshaws and the drivers paid better? It is really possible that the charges are pegged higer than a air conditioned taxi?

Just look at how these guys fleece an unsuspecting customer or when they have a monopoly of public transport in some areas or when it rains etc. The point is that their service is just so pathetic. Only if they rendered good service that is they went where ever, when ever and charged what the meter showed then in turn we would have more and more people travelling with them reducing their idle time and if they then increased the fares people would really not mind paying that extra for the service rendered.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 19:54   #55
BHPian
 
burnt.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Agreed we should have an unbiased view. But the real question is if their economics require them to bump up their price to a level such as Rs.24 and Rs.12 per km, then how do the taxi companies earn their bread? Don't the cars cost twice the rikshaws and the drivers paid better? It is really possible that the charges are pegged higer than a air conditioned taxi?
Contrary to people's perception, auto's are not that cheap. From the price of the auto to obtaining a permit and all other related expenses will definitely cost upwards of 2 Lacs. The maintenance cost is not much cheaper than that of a car. The spare prices are quite expensive and it needs frequent upkeep - total cost should be around that of an indicab. Running cost at present lpg rates at around 20km/pl would be around the same as that of an indicab.

All this while the indicab at a minimum of 12 rs / km is able to charge 33% more than the autowalah. Plus minimum charges are usually much higher.

But the real fact is that taxi operates in more of a free market environment. His rate was decided by supply vs demand.

But for the autowalah it is still license raj. He has to obtain a permit to operate, and his income is fixed at a very low limit by the government. All our problems with them will be resolved if the govt frees up the market. If their operating conditions w.r.t the government and the rates they are allowed to charge are similar to the city taxi walahs - we can expect similar service from them as well.

P.S - If the taxi and auto rates converge, we customers will get better service as a lot more city cabs will crop up. Right now they are a bit difficult to get hold of.
burnt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 22:21   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
They will price themselves out of the market
Hope that happens soon enough. It made sense when travelling by autorickshaws was much cheaper than taxis. Doesn't make sense to have them on road anymore.

Auto rickshaws are totally obsolete in today's date. They create unnecessary nuisance on the roads. Add to that bad attitude of the drivers. I think we must put a full-stop to these autos as soon as possible. It will be more environment friendly too.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 23:47   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ghaziabad/Hyderabad/Mysore
Posts: 1,416
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
Contrary to people's perception, auto's are not that cheap. From the price of the auto to obtaining a permit and all other related expenses will definitely cost upwards of 2 Lacs. The maintenance cost is not much cheaper than that of a car. The spare prices are quite expensive and it needs frequent upkeep - total cost should be around that of an indicab. Running cost at present lpg rates at around 20km/pl would be around the same as that of an indicab.

All this while the indicab at a minimum of 12 rs / km is able to charge 33% more than the autowalah. Plus minimum charges are usually much higher.

But the real fact is that taxi operates in more of a free market environment. His rate was decided by supply vs demand.

But for the autowalah it is still license raj. He has to obtain a permit to operate, and his income is fixed at a very low limit by the government. All our problems with them will be resolved if the govt frees up the market. If their operating conditions w.r.t the government and the rates they are allowed to charge are similar to the city taxi walahs - we can expect similar service from them as well.

P.S - If the taxi and auto rates converge, we customers will get better service as a lot more city cabs will crop up. Right now they are a bit difficult to get hold of.
Having worked for a charity where we have scholarships to some poor students - some of whose fathers were auto drivers, I agree fully.

In fact the autorickshaw costs upwards of 2lacs, add to that the annual fees amd extortion money to the traffic cops and the expenses are a lot.

Also, while many wouldn't like it - let's compare the increase in autorickshaw fares with the increase in salaries of a 3yrs experienced engineer over the last 10years. You would find that the increase in salary for worse trained engineers today over their counterparts 10yrs ago, is more than that for autowallahs on much harder and dangerous roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Hope that happens soon enough. It made sense when travelling by autorickshaws was much cheaper than taxis. Doesn't make sense to have them on road anymore.

Auto rickshaws are totally obsolete in today's date. They create unnecessary nuisance on the roads. Add to that bad attitude of the drivers. I think we must put a full-stop to these autos as soon as possible. It will be more environment friendly too.


They will price themselves out, but they wont at the same time. Taxi and autorickshaw are jsut not the same - convenience, minimum distance, availability ... all play their roles.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:02   #58
BHPian
 
ra'ul M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 222
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Auto rickshaws are totally obsolete in today's date. They create unnecessary nuisance on the roads. Add to that bad attitude of the drivers. I think we must put a full-stop to these autos as soon as possible. It will be more environment friendly too.
Auto's are not completely obsolete. All they need is a little TLC for they are extremely useful.
They have low running costs, hence cheaper than taxis. Modern autos are running on LPG, CNG etc. so they are environment friendly too.
Also, IMO they do not create unnecessary nuisance on the roads. Imagine them all being replaced by taxis! The already congested by lanes would choke from the congestion.
We have Radio Auto service in Chandigarh . Although its an isolated case, the model works very well and is also well received. Its cheaper by 5 bucks per km than a taxi and far more nimble to run short errands. Their waiting and parking charges are also lower so it all adds up.
That could be one way forward on a national level as the auto service is generally poor save a few cities.
ra'ul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 10:48   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
Jignesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Posts: 1,603
Thanked: 933 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Hello,

Transport Department survey of Autos & Taxis in Mumbai - interesting facts:

1. Auto - Runs 85 Kms on average everday & fuel efficiency is in range of 22 - 25 km per kg of CNG

2. Taxi - Runs 100 - 120 Kms on average everday & fuel efficiency is in range of 12 - 20 km per kg of CNG

Wonder why are still Auto Unions demanding fare hikes? Because above figures prove that cost of CMG in Auto is less Rs. 2 per KM.

As usual Union Leader Sharad Rao has dismissed the survey stating that it is flawed..

LInk to the full article: Transport department completes survey of autos, taxis in Mumbai - The Times of India

Another interesting piece of news today - Auto owners in Mumbai demand advertising rights on vehicles to earn extra: Auto owners in Mumbai demand advertising rights on vehicles to earn extra - The Times of India
Does this mean that we will not have Autos will advertisements on exterior body, just like Volvo buses?

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 11:25   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 717
Thanked: 726 Times
Default Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

In Bangalore, these are the following rates (by possession of a laptop bag)

Local + no laptop bag - haggling but mostly meter

Local + laptop bag - haggling with x fixed amount on top of meter

Non local + no laptop bag - minimal haggling with flat rate as per destination (pulled out the driver's mind by estimating your wealth depending on your dress and other items)

Non local + laptop bag - no haggling - exorbitant rate quoted and then given discount of 10-20Rs (again rate fixed as per destination and estimation of wealth based on appearance)

Non local + indication of not knowing the exact destination - step1 : request all money in bank account step2: upon refusal, call another auto walla and negotiate a slightly lower rate and step3: drop off in unknown location and claim this is exactly where the destination is

We live in Sarjapur road and these fellows never use the meter. They ask for 40Rs from my place to office which is EXACTLY 2 km. (saar... no return passenger saarr) or meter + fixed.

May I request some of our local Bangy friends to educate us on some chit-chat terms and sentences that we can use to haggle? How to ask if auto will come to destination x? How much are you asking? I will give only x. No, this is too much, I'll pay only x. And so on..

If someone drives me to the destination with the meter running, I usually tip him an extra 10Rs or round off to the next *ty Rs.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uber smartphone taxi-hailing app makes inroads into India JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 38 12th June 2014 14:05
City Fares dropped to economy class at the expense of jazz music sidindica The Indian Car Scene 33 17th January 2010 20:06
Auto Fares to Go up in Bangalore. snaronikar Shifting gears 27 14th January 2008 08:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks