Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th November 2005, 19:48   #1
BHPian

Default Sonata Embera Diesel?

Hi all,

In this forum, somewhere i had read ppl mentioning that the new SONATA EMBERA is coming out in CRDI engine too in some time..

I would like to know how far this is true, and if true, when is the Diesel Embera coming out?

I need to make a purchase in Jan/Feb, so if the Sonata is coming for sure sometime later, then i can put the purchase to hold.

Please let me know whatever u know of it.

Thanx a lot, in advance.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2005, 20:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

While I dont know if and when the Sonata Embera Diesel will be launched, but I hope the likely candidate for the job of pushing this car will be the new 2.2 litre CRDi that will allegedly power the diesel Santa Fe. Its a 2200 cc CRDi developing 152 bhp and some 35kgm of torque.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106454

If thats offered here, it would be a killer!

Last edited by Steeroid : 26th November 2005 at 20:05.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2005, 20:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

You were looking at the laura too? Rght. The on road price according to Autocar for the Manual transmission is 15.6 lakhs. The DSG will cost around 17 on road.
These are Autocar India Dec issue quotes and they have a detailed road test of the car
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2005, 20:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow a Laura killer it would be then! or maybe the good bye to Accord and rest too!

And is that the engine tahts powering the Terracan?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2005, 20:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

i dont think hyundai has any plans of bringing inthe crdi any time soon but yah the terracan engine is more than likely to be used for that ...i think it will be a great move to introduce the crdi embera ...

they have launched the v6 embera in north america .. more and more people are buying hyundais ..man they rock!
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2005, 20:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
And is that the engine tahts powering the Terracan?
No the Terracan is powered by a 2.9 litre CRDi.

The new 2.2 litre CRDi comes with VGT (Variable Geometry Turbocharging) and develops more power than the current 2.9 litre in the Terracan.

In fact Hyundai has already launched VGT versions of the 2 litre CRDi on the Elantra (up to 125 bhp now from 110 on the current model) and the 1.5 litre CRDi on the Accent (up to 100 bhp from the 82 on the current model).

Diesels are getting better and better. The new VGT CRDi is in Petrol territory - how many 100 bhp 1.5 litre petrol engines do we have now - WITH 24 KGNM OF TORQUE????

Hell this new engine range deserves a separate thread altogether!

Last edited by Steeroid : 26th November 2005 at 20:51.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2005, 20:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
No the Terracan is powered by a 2.9 litre CRDi.

The new 2.2 litre CRDi comes with VGT (Variable Geometry Turbocharging) and develops more power than the current 2.9 litre in the Terracan.

In fact Hyundai has already launched VGT versions of the 2 litre CRDi on the Elantra (up to 125 bhp now from 110 on the current model) and the 1.5 litre CRDi on the Accent (up to 100 bhp from the 82 on the current model).

Diesels are getting better and better. The new VGT CRDi is in Petrol territory - how many 100 bhp 1.5 litre petrol engines do we have now - WITH 24 KGNM OF TORQUE????

Hell this new engine range deserves a separate thread altogether!
You mean we have those in Indian Elantra's now?
Old 27th November 2005, 00:10   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai Getz was voted 28th in the Top Gear UK survey of 150 cars, Hyundai is definately on a roll
Old 4th December 2005, 11:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
You were looking at the laura too? Rght. The on road price according to Autocar for the Manual transmission is 15.6 lakhs. The DSG will cost around 17 on road.
These are Autocar India Dec issue quotes and they have a detailed road test of the car

I asked my uncle about the manual version, he is the dealer for Skoda here, and he said the manual version will take around 6 months to come. and then, the super expensive maintenece of the skoda! just cant bear it mite. buying a car is no big deal, maintaining it is!
Old 4th December 2005, 15:25   #10
BHPian

[quote]and he said the manual version will take around 6 months to come.
Hey ID are you sure about it ?! If yes then didn't you ask him the reason for such delay cos i thought it would take max. 2-3 months for the manual version !
Quote:
and then, the super expensive maintenece of the skoda! just cant bear it mite. buying a car is no big deal, maintaining it is!
But why dont you think about the fuel/running costs ! Firstly its a Diesel and above all it 'll give u 13kmpl in city (source : Dec ACI) whereas the Embera is a petrol and wont give you more than 7kmpl in the city .

So ,if you calculate then at the end of the day you wont be in a loss by any means and remember: the servicing comes once in 4-6 months and above all you get a car which is way way ahead in terms of everything compared to its rivals .
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2005, 17:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Offtopic:Hyundai should give out their first cars to InsaneDevil and jkdas.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2005, 17:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Offtopic:Hyundai should give out their first cars to InsaneDevil and jkdas.
but why so.
Old 4th December 2005, 18:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
You mean we have those in Indian Elantra's now?
No.Not yet.HMIL has still not considered the possibility of adding VGT to their indian line-up.It may be used on the Sonata Embera Diesel,as and when it comes out.As far as I know,that might be a while....
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 12:29   #14
BHPian

I like to have a car which has moderately, less priced spare parts, as we rough use all our vehicles, wether its a tucson now, or a bmw/bently in the future! for me, potholes and speedbreakers are invisible i jus fly over them, and nowadays even dad's started flying over them! and i dunno how, but my Tucson's breaklight already got a crack, i dont know who hit that!

These expensive vehicles nowadays need to be taken good care of, and if u can do that, then nothing like it, u can just go buy it, but if u are not into taking such great care of ur car, then rather go for some luxury car which is cheaper in spares, so u dont have to worry if someone bangs ur car from behind and breaks ur bumpers, breaklights!

Beemer, yea, i am going to give the Laura a ride, and then make the decission.
Old 5th December 2005, 12:38   #15
Team-BHP Support

Moderately priced spare parts?
I doubt skoda will fit the bill. Infact imported European cars will have this problem.
As for Sonata embera diesel, it may or may not come. Hyundai sales and marketing dept is excellent in locating the pulse of the market in the low end segment, but in the high-end they seem to be clueless.