Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th December 2013, 15:10   #31
BHPian

Default Re: BMW X5 Reliability and Ownership costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I beg to differ, my guess is that there will be an oversupply of Q7's in the used car market within a year or so
Not sure about the oversupply bit, but the Q7 seems to be the fancy of the upper income crowd, just like the Fortuner at the lower(not for everyone) end. I haven't seen too many X5s in the used car market, but doesn't the used car market gauge prices by the actual sale, glut or not? My point was higher sales equals better resale, because the luxury market is limited by it's very nature, not sure what numbers are needed to distinguish between a hit and an also ran.

All I know from ownership stories are frightening running costs for the Q7 -when you factor in tyre wear and service.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 18:38   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: *Facelifted* BMW X5 launched in India

I owned one briefly like 6 months and did some large distances , you should not have nothing to worry but do take BSI packages , much better if you can wait for the new one - it looks very different from the current & maybe they go for CKD route to keep prices in check . I test drove the gasoline one last week in Canada , its much sharper then before more like X6 . Yes there were $ 10-12000 off on old generation ones carrying MSRP of CA$ 60-70000 . You can do a reverse calculations - given custom duties @ 125-150 % depending on time of Import & VAT - 12-15 % , 65 Lac Ex showroom means basic billing rate of 40000 -45000 USD considering USD @ 55 - I believe most of these company hedge budgeted volumes . So if you are getting the old one @ less than 70 lac ex showroom given the present USD , Custom duties its a good deal , if you can live with dull looks of existing .

My suggestion will be to wait for a while for the new one to arrive specially after driving the new one ...
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 19:38   #33
BHPian

Default Re: BMW X5 Reliability and Ownership costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I beg to differ, my guess is that there will be an oversupply of Q7's in the used car market within a year or so
There is just too much of cash floating around to make any dent on the luxury resale as a significant part of the used luxury car sale happens in cash.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 21:03   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
There is no real driving pleasure in X5. It will have more or less similar body roll as Q7. Q7 will be a better choice among the two considering resale and all. BTW, which engine is being offered at 70L for Q7? 3.0 or 4.2? If it's 4.2, it's no brainer if you ask me.
Beg to differ, the Q7 is a boat compared to the X5. The X5 has much better steering feel, handling, and driver involvment, not to mention the 8 speed. Also the Q7s interiors look dated now. Between the 2 unless I need 7 seats its gotta be the X5. The 4.2 is a different story altogether, but then that won't be offered for 70l.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 23:07   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Beg to differ, the Q7 is a boat compared to the X5. The X5 has much better steering feel, handling, and driver involvment, not to mention the 8 speed. Also the Q7s interiors look dated now. Between the 2 unless I need 7 seats its gotta be the X5. The 4.2 is a different story altogether, but then that won't be offered for 70l.
Completely agree..The Q7 offered was the 3.0 and I tested it on regular tarmac and on the q drive session...there was excessive body roll and in the q drive the q
7 felt underpowered. On the other hand the x5 is a delight around curves. Besides I didn't want a 7 seater either.
asterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 16:40   #36
BHPian

Thanks to all members for the inputs..I have decided to go ahead with the X5. Wanted to know if there is a significant difference between registering the car in Dec 13 vs Jan 14 from a resale perspective. My understanding is that it should not matter much in the luxury segment and it is the year of manufacture that matters. Should I proceed with registration now or wait for Jan 14?
Old 21st December 2013, 21:31   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
registering the car in Dec 13 vs Jan 14 from a resale
Nope , Year of Manufacture is what is going to affect , BTW be prepared for some shocking numbers on depreciation , I lost around 15 Lac in less than 6 months , with new one specially in CKD coming in 6 months ..

Try to speak to any dealership and offer to sell 2012 X5 and you will have a fair idea , I heard numbers as low as 20-25 Lac for decent maintained 2009-2010 cars.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 22:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Nope , Year of Manufacture is what is going to affect , BTW be prepared for some shocking numbers on depreciation , I lost around 15 Lac in less than 6 months , with new one specially in CKD coming in 6 months ..

Try to speak to any dealership and offer to sell 2012 X5 and you will have a fair idea , I heard numbers as low as 20-25 Lac for decent maintained 2009-2010 cars.
Well I did check in chennai. A 2012 x5 with 12 k km was sold at the dealership at 56lacs. Know this because I missed the deal. There is a 2011 x5 available at 45 lacs. .has done 30k km..considering these were sold at 80 to 90 l otr the depreciation is stark..am hoping that the upfront discounts I have will soften the hit and in 3 years expect about 40 lacs for the car..
Do u have any reliable info on Ckd?..to start ckd the factory in chennai needs to gear up and I have some reliable sources which have confirmed there are no plans to assemble the x5..
Old 22nd December 2013, 01:50   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
reliable sources which have confirmed there are no plans to assemble the x5
Kind of , they have this in pipeline for Years now . Old one was never a looker so this got delayed , they know the numbers for M & Q7 , I expect this to be here by mid of 2014 .

But if you have already Made up mind - Best of Luck !
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 02:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix View Post
.I have decided to go ahead with the X5. Wanted to know if there is a significant difference between registering the car in Dec 13 vs Jan 14 from a resale perspective...
Great choice. I own an X5 for almost 2 years now and very happy with it. It's the most fun to drive SUV (crossover) barring the Cayenne and the X6 - hands down. Q7 3.0 wouldn't hold a candle. If u go in for special / fancy numbers, waiting time is quite a bit in Chennai anyways!! As far as resale value is concerned, if u r using a dealer to trade ur car, he would have no problems in dating your car. If u r selling to individuals, there could be a very marginal difference - if at all. But hey, all you have to wait is for 6 business days now. Enjoy your X5 experience.
316kmph is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 06:17   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
Great choice. I own an X5 for almost 2 years now and very happy with it.
============ But hey, all you have to wait is for 6 business days now. Enjoy your X5 experience.
Am actually pushing the dealership for registration this Friday so as to use the X5 for my new year break..excited!
asterix is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 12:17   #42
BHPian

I just got the VIN for the car and checked on this site http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html to decode the manufacturing date. The site shows production date as 15 May 2012. The dealership says that the manufacturing date for registration for CBUs is the date of entry to India and in my case the dealer says it is June 2013. Is this correct?..How can I verify- actual manufacturing date, import date. What is considered as model year in India?...See some urgent help please.
Old 26th December 2013, 14:07   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix View Post
I just got the VIN for the car and checked on this site http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html to decode the manufacturing date. The site shows production date as 15 May 2012. The dealership says that the manufacturing date for registration for CBUs is the date of entry to India and in my case the dealer says it is June 2013. Is this correct?..How can I verify- actual manufacturing date, import date. What is considered as model year in India?...See some urgent help please.
Your MFD is 2012. The date of entry story is crap. However the dealer could give you a certificate saying MFD is 2013 for the sake of your regn card.

What was the final ex-showroom price you got negotiated? Also, how well loaded is the car? Does it have the third row?
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 14:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Your MFD is 2012. The date of entry story is crap. However the dealer could give you a certificate saying MFD is 2013 for the sake of your regn card.

What was the final ex-showroom price you got negotiated? Also, how well loaded is the car? Does it have the third row?
This is the fully loaded version the only optional features not available are HUD, the 6 DVD changer, soft close doors and lighting package. Comes with spare wheel, aluminium step board, roof rails 2 zone AC, and auto everything else. The final price I have is 62.6lacs ex showroom. The dealer is adding door sill plates, chrome beading on the windows and floor mats.
asterix is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 17:28   #45
BHPian

I think the manufacture of the 2nd gen X5 was stopped in Q4 of 2012 or Q1 2013.

IMO, 3rd row seating in X5 is irrelevant!
316kmph is offline   Reply With Quote