Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th July 2010, 23:51   #31
BHPian

I hope they don't mess with the grill by introducing the new grill design as seen in the 2011 Sonata and similar to the upcoming 2011 elantra.

I hope they do find ways to increase the ride quality a bit and work on the interior space.
Old 7th July 2010, 00:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
No offence, but if boot space and ease of ingress were your primary requirements, then you should have gone for WagonR or Santro.

Rohan
Well the baby came after the car so... When I got my i10 boot space wasnt a criterion. It is an issue now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
What is so wrong in the current i10 to make you say that it's more respectable to be seen in a Nano?

I guess all the automotive media (Autocar, Overdrive, BSM, TopGear, Zig Wheels & above all, the ICOTY) would not be wrong when they crowned the Hyundai i10 as Car Of The Year 2008. Also, if it has nothing going for it, it would not have become an international success story like what it is now.
I find i10 to be a very interesting car! When you are in the market for a small car, it is an appealing choice(not surprising as it has some great virtues as well.) It is only after you get one you realize what you get and what you didnt get! In terms of price it almost borders the Swift range! (talking of 1.2 model here) So it is pricey for a small car. The boot is really not well designed. It cannot accomodate big suitcases or baby strollers. The beige interiors are tough to maintain and the dash reflects badly on the windscreen. The ride at the rear is rather bumpy (but I think it would be true for most small cars.) There are two bottle holders near the drivers seat (near hand brake) but they cannot hold any of the standard 1L water bottles! So they are good enough to hold only your mobile phones (if its not a full keyboard phone). the stock music system (in sportz and asta) doesnt have USB support although the high end asta comes at 6L+ OTR here! Thats a lot of things missing in a 6L rupee car! And less said about the tyres the better.

on the other hand, the 1.2 engine is good in performance(but not frugal as it returns <12 kmpl in Bangalore/delhi traffic. With only 35L tank the range is pretty limited as well.) Beige interiors give good feeling (although nightmarish to maintain in Indian conditions). I guess these re the only good things I've found about i10! But as you say, its selling in huge numbers and was darling of all auto mags!

Last edited by joslicx : 7th July 2010 at 00:52.
Old 7th July 2010, 00:57   #33
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers guys. Yes, Hyundai is finally testing it's i10 Facelift out in public roads. Spotted this test mule in NH4 on Saturday.

From the rear, nothing was visible except for the change in shape of the taillight lenses. The profile remains virtually unchanged except for the repositioning of indicators in the rear-view mirrors. But, I could also spot the recess in the place where the existing indicators are present. Will it have two indicators? The interiors could not be seen because of the heavily tinted glasses all around the car.

Attachment 381964

The biggest change I guess is in the front of the car. I could clearly see that the headlamps were blackened out with clear partition for the indicators. Also, from the outline of the camouflage, I could see the new family hexagonal grille (like the all-new Avante (Elantra) & Tucson (ix35)). I hope Hyundai has not fooled me by giving a special design for the camouflage alone. If it comes out as I saw, I am sure that it will look great.

Attachment 381965

Hope this time Hyundai doesn't screw up the grille design like they did on the Verna.
Guys.. This is one of the three cars i spotted two weeks back on my way back from Ambur when i had to delete the photos as my Fusion's battery had given up. It was indeed an i10 facelift.

Unfortunately the mods had merged my thread with the Hyundai's 800 cc car thread.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
In terms of price it almost borders the Swift range! (talking of 1.2 model here) So it is pricey for a small car.
Not if you consider Sportz or Magna with Swift Vxi. With public discounts the Magna comes to around 4.7L OTR in Bangalore, and Swift comes to 5.6L. Thats almost 90K/ 20% more for Swift - a big difference in the Hatch range. Asta is expensive, but it has sunroof etc, which not many want.

Quote:
The boot is really not well designed. It cannot accomodate big suitcases or baby strollers. The beige interiors are tough to maintain and the dash reflects badly on the windscreen. The ride at the rear is rather bumpy (but I think it would be true for most small cars.) There are two bottle holders near the drivers seat (near hand brake) but they cannot hold any of the standard 1L water bottles! So they are good enough to hold only your mobile phones (if its not a full keyboard phone). the stock music system (in sportz and asta) doesnt have USB support although the high end asta comes at 6L+ OTR here! Thats a lot of things missing in a 6L rupee car! And less said about the tyres the better.

on the other hand, the 1.2 engine is good in performance(but not frugal as it returns <12 kmpl in Bangalore/delhi traffic. With only 35L tank the range is pretty limited as well.) Beige interiors give good feeling (although nightmarish to maintain in Indian conditions). I guess these re the only good things I've found about i10! But as you say, its selling in huge numbers and was darling of all auto mags!
joslicx, let me put in a perspective. i10 is a darling in Bangalore because its easy to like as a city car. When i bought the car recently, there were quite a few takers in my company for i10. Most of them already have a sedan and space wasn't really a consideration, a few were buying it since there was no other options for Auto. I can tell you rear ride and boot space wasn't a big criterion.

FE is a little overated. ACI puts city FE of i10 1.2 as 11.7 kmpl and for Ritz as 12.1. Thats less than 10% and in real terms is really no big deal.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:54   #35
BHPian

actually, the only major change which is important would be the beige color interiors (to black or grey) and the headlights. I have just recently got the Sportz model, I am happy with the entire package along with the Kappa. The only thing seem to bother me is the beige color reflecting onto the windscreen! damn! People suggested to put a dash cover to prevent this reflection, some even told to wear sun glasses!
Old 7th July 2010, 10:09   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice catch arvi86!
I like the headlamp design already, not too sure about the tail lamp though, lets see, hope the new taillamp doesn't have a dummy red lamp like the current design they sell in India. I like the thin and long radio antenna of the current model to the short and stubby one on this model.
Old 7th July 2010, 20:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Nice catch arvi86!
I like the headlamp design already, not too sure about the tail lamp though, lets see, hope the new taillamp doesn't have a dummy red lamp like the current design they sell in India. I like the thin and long radio antenna of the current model to the short and stubby one on this model.
Shankar, This is exactly what I felt too. As I have mentioned already, the headlamps, even with it's camouflage, looked stunning with me, with a clear black partition between the main lamp and the indicator. But I also didn't like the position of the indicator and reverse lamp in the taillight. Maybe when we see the uncovered car, we will like it hopefully.

Also, I liked the positioning of audio controls in the steering wheel that I saw in the car I spotted yesterday (very similar to the i20). I wish it makes its way into domestic i10s as well and not only for exports.

BTW, what is it that I could find so much hatred towards i10 here? Not only in this thread, but also in some other threads, I noticed people slamming i10 like anything. Come on, though not the best car in it's segment, it's a quite competent car in it's own right. Indians are not so foolish to buy a car as bad as some claim it to be, in hordes. Let's give Hyundai due respect for taking the game forward with the i10 when it was launched in 2007.
Old 8th July 2010, 10:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Shankar, This is exactly what I felt too. As I have mentioned already, the headlamps, even with it's camouflage, looked stunning with me, with a clear black partition between the main lamp and the indicator. But I also didn't like the position of the indicator and reverse lamp in the taillight. Maybe when we see the uncovered car, we will like it hopefully.

Also, I liked the positioning of audio controls in the steering wheel that I saw in the car I spotted yesterday (very similar to the i20). I wish it makes its way into domestic i10s as well and not only for exports.

BTW, what is it that I could find so much hatred towards i10 here? Not only in this thread, but also in some other threads, I noticed people slamming i10 like anything. Come on, though not the best car in it's segment, it's a quite competent car in it's own right. Indians are not so foolish to buy a car as bad as some claim it to be, in hordes. Let's give Hyundai due respect for taking the game forward with the i10 when it was launched in 2007.
I understand your concerns arvi. i10 is indeed an all rounder! I wouldn't say it is the best in certain aspects. It is just about good in all aspects. Only grouse could be bumpiness in the rear and the reflecting dashboard. Otherwise it is truly fantastic. And the build and quality justifies the price IMO.

As far as the hatred is considered, it is understandable. There are quite a lot of hyundai bashers in the forum. Unfortunately, the bias remains. One should be impartial while commenting on cars. Because all cars are good in some aspects and not so good in some other!
Old 8th July 2010, 11:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
I understand your concerns arvi. i10 is indeed an all rounder! I wouldn't say it is the best in certain aspects. It is just about good in all aspects. Only grouse could be bumpiness in the rear and the reflecting dashboard. Otherwise it is truly fantastic. And the build and quality justifies the price IMO
The all-rounder that looks like a monster's child (IMO + subjective).India's laws do allow you to like the looks as much as they allow me to dislike it. Today looks are not the criterion. As some people have answered, the point I made is that it is overpriced. I only criticized the looks. I never bash anything without a reason.
And I did evaluate an i20 very very well (three test drives) before giving it a thumbs down due to the bad steering feedback and extremely pricey. So its not like I am a hyundai basher. But pay more than something in a VFM segment to any manufacturer is not something I would do.

Quote:

As far as the hatred is considered, it is understandable. There are quite a lot of hyundai bashers in the forum. Unfortunately, the bias remains. One should be impartial while commenting on cars. Because all cars are good in some aspects and not so good in some other!
The bias has real reasons behind it. I believe my comments were very impartial. The i10 is just an also-ran in terms of features or overall appeal for the price it commands. All auto mags praising it is just the reason why it commands a premium. And AFAIK, I never knew the majority of auto mags giving unbiased reviews. The Ritz outclasses the i10 in just about everything for about the same price model to model.But to me , both are not great lookers,with the Ritz again looking better than the i10. But the i10 sells more than the Ritz. I for one am a strong believer against the marketing culture that encourages the herd mentality and believe companies should succeed more due to product quality and service (in short,merit) rather than marketing.
I keep talking about this with a view to pointing out deficiencies that people should know about and not buy based on a relative's or friend's recommendation or a salesman's pitch alone. A facelift is a pointless exercise because there are no engineering changes. So I have a different perspective about things which is allowed as far as the forum is concerned. It is natural for an i10 owner or fan to be biased and they call the others biased. which is why I believe it should sell for about 50,000 to a lakh less, which I believe is what its worth ( a price I would be willing to pay) to buy it as it is.
To summarize, I believe the i10 is a bad-looking, overpriced car with average features for the price and a good engine and a nice gearshift. Now give me reasons to buy it at the price that it commands.

Last edited by rpmx1000 : 8th July 2010 at 11:35.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
A facelift is a pointless exercise because there are no engineering changes.
+1

Unfortunately, most facelifts (and also those special editions) in India are nothing beyond additional stickering or some very superficial cosmetic changes.

Last edited by sachinayak : 8th July 2010 at 13:50.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand your concerns arvi. i10 is indeed an all rounder! I wouldn't say it is the best in certain aspects. It is just about good in all aspects. Only grouse could be bumpiness in the rear and the reflecting dashboard. Otherwise it is truly fantastic. And the build and quality justifies the price IMO.

I thought this thread was about the upcoming i10 facelift (if it is indeed coming) and speculations as to what all could be improved in the present car. As an owner of the i10 (1.2 Sportz) I merely pointed out the variuos inconviniences/shortcomings I felt in 1+ year of ownership that could/should potentially be addressed in the new version. i10 was a fantastic product when it was launched (I think it was in 2007?) and had few (or actually no rivals) at that time - hence the immense success. It was a credible option against the Swift. But circa 2010 it is no more a novelty or VFM when you see cars like Beat, Ritz, Ford Figo etc around you. Its time for it to at least match what the competition is offering (and hence the criticisms.)
The car is good and I have loved owning it but it doesnt mean it is perfect and cannot be made better. If Hyundai (or for that matter any car company) would start thinking they have reached perfection and refuse to improve, they would die! Honda has a bestseller in City and still they improve/facelift it every three years. We should realise that competition also moves ahead with time so every product has to keep improving.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
The all-rounder that looks like a monster's child (IMO + subjective).India's laws do allow you to like the looks as much as they allow me to dislike it. Today looks are not the criterion. As some people have answered, the point I made is that it is overpriced. I only criticized the looks. I never bash anything without a reason.
And I did evaluate an i20 very very well (three test drives) before giving it a thumbs down due to the bad steering feedback and extremely pricey. So its not like I am a hyundai basher. But pay more than something in a VFM segment to any manufacturer is not something I would do.

The bias has real reasons behind it. I believe my comments were very impartial. The i10 is just an also-ran in terms of features or overall appeal for the price it commands. All auto mags praising it is just the reason why it commands a premium. And AFAIK, I never knew the majority of auto mags giving unbiased reviews. The Ritz outclasses the i10 in just about everything for about the same price model to model.But to me , both are not great lookers,with the Ritz again looking better than the i10. But the i10 sells more than the Ritz. I for one am a strong believer against the marketing culture that encourages the herd mentality and believe companies should succeed more due to product quality and service (in short,merit) rather than marketing.
I keep talking about this with a view to pointing out deficiencies that people should know about and not buy based on a relative's or friend's recommendation or a salesman's pitch alone. A facelift is a pointless exercise because there are no engineering changes. So I have a different perspective about things which is allowed as far as the forum is concerned. It is natural for an i10 owner or fan to be biased and they call the others biased. which is why I believe it should sell for about 50,000 to a lakh less, which I believe is what its worth ( a price I would be willing to pay) to buy it as it is.
To summarize, I believe the i10 is a bad-looking, overpriced car with average features for the price and a good engine and a nice gearshift. Now give me reasons to buy it at the price that it commands.
rpmx1000, first of all, don't take my comment personally. It was not pointed at you. I didn't even remember if you had commented negatively on this very thread when i typed my comments. My comments were based on all that i have read in this forum over the period of time.

Second thing, when i said the car is good in all respects, i never included or explicitly meant the looks department which is always subjective. You may say i10 is ugly, may be for you. Everybody has their opinion. There are also many more who felt the Estilo is ugly, but did anyone question you why you bought it?

Thirdly, about herd mentality, don't you think even Maruti thrives on it? Are you saying people buy i10 because they follow herd mentality? What about Alto, Swift and dzire. Shall we call this herd mentality as well going by your views? And if i am going to get a reliable car which offers a nice smooth peppy engine and peace of mind, by following "herd mentality", then i would proudly be in that herd.

Fourth, about being biased by friends, relatives are magazines: 9 out of 10 colleagues of mine recommended me a Swift VXI. I saw more value in i10 Sportz and went for it. No magazine referred to. No friend previously owned this car. My dad owns a Santro and its reliability and qualities just about helped in choosing another hyundai. Mind you, i never said Maruti was bad/overpriced/ugly or Fiat service was hopeless. I went by the budget, the value it offers, peace of mind, reliability and above all, quality. And i am not surprised if 12,000 indians prefer the same every month. Quality definitely commands a price and hence it may seem that i10 is over priced.

Fifth, reasons to buy i10 paying THAT price? The same reason why 9000 people buy Swift, around 4000 people buy ritz and about 1500 people buy a polo. All these cars are similarly specced. Each good in its own right. If you get Figo at such good rates doesn't mean you call i10 overpriced. Then you should call all these cars above 5 lakhs as overpriced. Isn't it? I have already given you reasons why i bought i10 in my fourth point. I would reiterate just to answer your question:
1) Sheer quality of interiors
2) The low NVH engine( the K series came much later) plus the smooth ride
3) Peace of mind given the reliability
4) This car was offered something new when it was released. Had a few "firsts"

You see i am a layman, and i cannot understand the importance of steering feedback, top class handling etc, but you know what, when i sit in my car every morning, it feels good. Really really good. Shouldn't this alone be enough?

PS: This thread is about a possible i10 face lift, let us all discuss on our preferences, as customers, about how and what the facelift should be. For other things, please raise separate threads.
Old 8th July 2010, 15:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I thought this thread was about the upcoming i10 facelift (if it is indeed coming) and speculations as to what all could be improved in the present car. As an owner of the i10 (1.2 Sportz) I merely pointed out the variuos inconviniences/shortcomings I felt in 1+ year of ownership that could/should potentially be addressed in the new version. i10 was a fantastic product when it was launched (I think it was in 2007?) and had few (or actually no rivals) at that time - hence the immense success. It was a credible option against the Swift. But circa 2010 it is no more a novelty or VFM when you see cars like Beat, Ritz, Ford Figo etc around you. Its time for it to at least match what the competition is offering (and hence the criticisms.)
The car is good and I have loved owning it but it doesnt mean it is perfect and cannot be made better. If Hyundai (or for that matter any car company) would start thinking they have reached perfection and refuse to improve, they would die! Honda has a bestseller in City and still they improve/facelift it every three years. We should realise that competition also moves ahead with time so every product has to keep improving.
This is a credible comment joslicx. I agree with you fully. i10 is not a perfect car, and it would be good to put our wish list as to what the face lift should be.

I reiterate again, mine was a generic comment and not pointed at anyone who participated in this discussion.
Old 8th July 2010, 15:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If Hyundai (or for that matter any car company) would start thinking they have reached perfection and refuse to improve, they would die! Honda has a bestseller in City and still they improve/facelift it every three years. We should realise that competition also moves ahead with time so every product has to keep improving.
joslicx - agree. i10 is a car which does a lot of things nice. And its doing well - the largest selling hatch if you do not consider Alto is a segment down.

However, it is by no means perfect - Hyundai should keep upping the game while it can to keep the lead.

I just hope they dont defrom it like the new Verna Deform
Old 8th July 2010, 15:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
rpmx1000, first of all, don't take my comment personally. It was not pointed at you. I didn't even remember if you had commented negatively on this very thread when i typed my comments. My comments were based on all that i have read in this forum over the period of time.

Second thing, when i said the car is good in all respects, i never included or explicitly meant the looks department which is always subjective. You may say i10 is ugly, may be for you. Everybody has their opinion. There are also many more who felt the Estilo is ugly, but did anyone question you why you bought it?

Thirdly, about herd mentality, don't you think even Maruti thrives on it? Are you saying people buy i10 because they follow herd mentality? What about Alto, Swift and dzire. Shall we call this herd mentality as well going by your views? And if i am going to get a reliable car which offers a nice smooth peppy engine and peace of mind, by following "herd mentality", then i would proudly be in that herd.

Fourth, about being biased by friends, relatives are magazines: 9 out of 10 colleagues of mine recommended me a Swift VXI. I saw more value in i10 Sportz and went for it. No magazine referred to. No friend previously owned this car. My dad owns a Santro and its reliability and qualities just about helped in choosing another hyundai. Mind you, i never said Maruti was bad/overpriced/ugly or Fiat service was hopeless. I went by the budget, the value it offers, peace of mind, reliability and above all, quality. And i am not surprised if 12,000 indians prefer the same every month. Quality definitely commands a price and hence it may seem that i10 is over priced.

Fifth, reasons to buy i10 paying THAT price? The same reason why 9000 people buy Swift, around 4000 people buy ritz and about 1500 people buy a polo. All these cars are similarly specced. Each good in its own right. If you get Figo at such good rates doesn't mean you call i10 overpriced. Then you should call all these cars above 5 lakhs as overpriced. Isn't it? I have already given you reasons why i bought i10 in my fourth point. I would reiterate just to answer your question:
1) Sheer quality of interiors
2) The low NVH engine( the K series came much later) plus the smooth ride
3) Peace of mind given the reliability
4) This car was offered something new when it was released. Had a few "firsts"

You see i am a layman, and i cannot understand the importance of steering feedback, top class handling etc, but you know what, when i sit in my car every morning, it feels good. Really really good. Shouldn't this alone be enough?

PS: This thread is about a possible i10 face lift, let us all discuss on our preferences, as customers, about how and what the facelift should be. For other things, please raise separate threads.
I did not take it personally at all. You seem to have. I don't drive the estilo btw. And yes, I did buy it for the price (for my wife) because it did'nt make sense to pay a lakh plus more for the i10 which I took a lot of time out to test.
And I am no big fan of Maruti either to get pulled into a hyundai-maruti debate.

And no offence, all your reasons justify why you bought the car. They still don't convince me why I should. I never questioned you why you bought the car, did I ? I totally agree with you Maruti thrives on herd mentality. And for the same reason, I criticize Maruti too if you have read enough on the forum.
Ever read any of my comments on the famous Dzire ?

I am stating facts as of today. The i10 was initially launched with the original novelty of nothing more than 4bhp plus on the santro with a (Differently tuned?) variant of the same engine. The 1.2 Kappa came a bit later and though a good engine, the price was too much (to pay for quality - what quality?). It did'nt even offer a great mileage or awesome performance. The only novelty it offered was a gearshift. Enough for me to say repackage and sold. And yes, expectations from Hyundai were high - but I don't think they
did anything revolutionary with this car enough - which is why I cite it as a marketing success - or a con job stated in sugar coated terms, considering the other market offerings. Peace of miynd and reliability is also a personal experience,there are Hyundai and maruti cars which have had trouble too.

From your points while you bought the car, it looks like you bought it from your heart , because you liked it, than a calculated one. That's fine and no one questions that.Nor did I,Why take offence then on a viewpoint that only disagrees with yours ? I suppose you love your car to the extent that this kind of offends you. It did not indicate what research you did or what options you considered (since you have not mentioned any, not indicating you did not) or whether you looked into technical details before you made your decision. While yours may be a one-off case, you would have to agree that people go by opinions in India. You did go by the fact that your dad had a Santro.And you did ask your friends. Correct ?

To to soothe your apparently frayed nerves, I would just add "no offence meant" to you and other i10 owners. I do not say, don't buy an i10. If I wanted to say it was a bad car simply because I own a Maruti or make a living based on bashing hyundai, would I praise the engine ? .IIRC, I did not say any of these things.Hope you continue to enjoy your i10. Apologise if any of my "facts" rile you, but they were not meant to. If companies like Hyundai who have shown too many signs of taking customers for granted are allowed to continue, they will continue to sell in unjustifiably large numbers and will never innovate to give customers more for their money.Criticism has its benefits. FUD is too often used in all marketing departments for increasing sales.

Is it a sin to ask for improvement ? Maybe to you it was the best decision considering all viewpoints back in 2007. Would you say the same of today? Maybe you would say yes, but I can assure you people think differently.Maybe just maybe, Hyundai will bring out a more tolerable looking i10(a la Xing), do something to improve the real (not ARAI) mileage and lower the price. While not meant to get back at you, I still maintain my views.
Closed Thread