Back to Volvo's plan, now with a video.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th January 2014 at 17:20. Reason: Embedding video
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:37   #197
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Developing Pedestrian Friendly Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Good news for pedestrians (probably in a few years from now).
Honda is developing a car that can navigate it way through crowded streets on its own. It will stop at pedestrian crossings if a person is about to step on to the road. I don't know if this will ever be able to work in India where pedestrian crossings are few and far between in many towns and villages and where people just dart across the roads at the drop of a hat.

Check out this link -

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/h.../1/326941.html
Will this / can this technology EVER work in India? Driving in India is mostly a game of one-up-man-ship. You proceed six inches, so does your adversary. Then you keep repeating this, until one of the participants of this crazy game, gets that glint of recklessness in his eye and the other gives up. Do you ever think that technology will be able to sense that?
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:35   #198
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda Developing Pedestrian Friendly Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Will this / can this technology EVER work in India? Driving in India is mostly a game of one-up-man-ship. You proceed six inches, so does your adversary. Then you keep repeating this, until one of the participants of this crazy game, gets that glint of recklessness in his eye and the other gives up. Do you ever think that technology will be able to sense that?
I think they will have to write a special programme for India and then some.
But with technology coming up with some stunning car games and stuff, we can live in hope.
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 07:15   #199
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars

Latest development, this time in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25230483

I, for one, love driving in (most) of the UK. Endless little country roads.
For Christmas I'm taking my family back to the UK. My Jaguar which is in storage at the moment, will be waiting for us when we get there. Looking forward for taking it on a real blast through Suffolk. All manual of course, none of this automation autonomous stuff, as long as it lasts!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 09:01   #200
Senior - BHPian

Default BMW's self drifting cars

BMW is at CES this year with the most extreme self-driving demo yet a car that literally drifts itself through wet pavement at high speed.

khanak is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 18:39   #201
BHPian

Default Re: BMW's self drifting cars

This video reminds me of a Self Driving 3 Series BMW came up with and it was reviewed by Jeremy in TopGear.
Nevertheless a brilliant Autonomous Driving Car.
#enzowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 19:20   #202
BHPian

USA Today article on IHS automotive's study:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...study/4292893/
Quote:
It's not a question of 'if': Sales will hit 11.8 million by 2035 - IHS Automotive

By 2050, IHS predicts, nearly all vehicles - private and commercial - will be self-driving cars (SDCs).

"As the market share of SDCs on the highway grows, overall accident rates will decline steadily,"

"Traffic congestion and air pollution per car should also decline, because SDCs can be programmed to be more efficient in their driving patterns."

About a third of all global SDC sales in 2035 will be in North America.
mayuresh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:40   #203
BHPian

Another article and a video on Ford's collaboration with academia for autonomous cars.

What I like is these smaller intermediate steps that can be brought to a trustworthy level first before talking about autonomous cars:

Quote:
While the ultimate goal is to have an automated, driverless car, MIT is taking smaller steps to get towards the goal. How and his team of students are working to bring autonomous shuttles to MIT campus in Cambridge. He said he hopes to have golf-cart size prototypes on campus later this year, moving to something more permanent in the future. He said that the vehicles would have "safety drivers" just in case.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...automated_cars

Old 5th February 2014, 20:38   #204
BHPian

Some interesting thoughts (or some may say dreams) about profound changes autonomous cars may bring..

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sanjeevs...raffic-no-fun/

Quote:
As the world population grows our current infrastructure simply will no longer be able to sustain efficient automotive traffic. Look no further than places like India where travelling a few miles via car can seemingly take years.

In a future where all cars are self-driving, acceptable driving distances between vehicles will dramatically decrease. Think of future highways as rails without tracks

Families will no longer be forced to buy and maintain multiple vehicles...instead of my car sitting in the office parking lot and me paying for parking in the office building, this car is used to drop the kids to school,...
Old 28th February 2014, 20:43   #205
Senior - BHPian

When I'm not busy fiddling with my cars, or driving them, or doing something with my Royal Enfield Bullet, or building my web sites, or taking some pictures, or traveling somewhere with my wife, or posting on this forum or some other forum, I dabble a bit in the wonderful world of telecommunication. Hence, as for the last fifteen or so years around this time of year I found myself at the Mobile World Congress, (MWC) in Barcelona, Spain. A massive exhibition that reads as the who's who in telecommunication. It is actually great fun, albeit tiring on the "ol" feet as you will walk for miles and stand for hours.

This exhibition is all about telecommunication and these days, telecommunication is all about connecting people and stuff. So you could for instance find how to hook up your electrical tooth brush to your smart phone. (I'm not kidding). More importantly, or at least more relevant to this (car) forum was the fact that there were severals cars and car manufacturers present displaying the latest and greatest in what "always connected" can mean to Joe-average-Car driver.

Below a series of some photographs that will give you some impressions.

So here you see a Ford that sees the whole world:

Name:  IMG_0645.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  65.1 KB

Here, on a monitor how it sees the whole world. If you look closely you can see me, holding up high my camera/phone. It's one thing displaying this image, to me its another, huge step, for a computer to make any sense of it

Name:  IMG_0647.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  70.3 KB

So, lets look at something a bit more main stream, say a Ford Focus. You'd be surprised to see how many sensors and electronic systems a regular Focus has these days!

Name:  IMG_0652.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0651.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  45.7 KB

To put this all in perspective, here's the whole Ford stand. At the MWC, a telecommunication exhibition. It shows how fast technology is moving forward.

Name:  IMG_0652.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  54.7 KB

For those of a more Macho disposition, the Corvette is equally hooked up to the net, as will all Chevrolets by mid this year, or so I was told by the Chevy rep on the stand!

Name:  IMG_0653.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0654.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  47.7 KB

At the Qualcom stand a nice Mercedes AMG, again all hooked up to the net, your smartphone and a few other thing as well.

Name:  IMG_0665.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  51.0 KB

We might not have autonomous cars yet, well at least nothing out of the pilot phase yet. But the above, I trust, shows that modern cars are already equipped with many different systems that do take over from the driver. Or support the driver in many ways, none of which we could have imagined were possible a few years ago

Enjoy it whilst you can guys, manual driving is a thing of the past, get with the program or become extinct or an old sorry git!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 21:53   #206
BHPian

A little OT but Anand Mahindra has announced a $700,000 competition for creating an autonomous car for domestic congested roads. A welcome move, but I don't happen to notice any serious work in India on such things. Maybe this will push things a little!
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/31062876.cms
skyfire2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 18:21   #207
BHPian

Yesterday, equipped with only my phone, dropped into the Computer History Museum in Mountain View. I didn't have a camera in this trip -- so advanced apologies for the phone picture quality (further compressed for 1MB limit of the forum). Among other exhibits, what's relevant to this thread is the Google's self-driving car. There was one to observe up close, which we could get in and see around (the interiors are no different -- especially they have controls but you will not have to touch them, and if you do, perhaps you can override them). All around there were video screens how it works, how does it see the road, what this room looks like to it, and also interviews with their engineers about it. When I came back to the parking lot, there were a fleet of them around parked.
Attached Thumbnails
About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-20140515_113309_la-avenida-st.jpg  

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-20140515_113457_n-shoreline-blvd.jpg  

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-20140515_113607_n-shoreline-blvd.jpg  

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-20140515_113652_n-shoreline-blvd.jpg  

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-20140515_113655_n-shoreline-blvd.jpg  

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-20140515_114349.jpg  

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-20140515_115522.jpg  

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-20140515_115545.jpg  

kousik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:31   #208
Senior - BHPian

California Department of Motor Vehicles has approved new rules governing the testing of autonomous vehicles on public roads. Some requirements:
  • Companies must register with the state before they can test their cars
  • Every car must have a driver sitting in the driver's seat during testing, who can take over control of the vehicle should something go wrong.
  • Manufacturers have to prove that they can handle the potential financial liability should anything go wrong (cover damages of up to $5m).
Link: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/autonomous/bkgd.htm
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 13:17   #209

Default Google unveils Driverless Car! 2 seats, no steering wheel, 25 mph

Google has demonstrated its own driverless car, a design that does away with all conventional controls including the steering wheel, and says it will build 100 of the vehicles for testing with the eventual aim of "bringing this technology to the world safely".

The company had for several years been testing everyday cars equipped with sensors, navigation equipment and computers to drive themselves but in the meantime it has secretly developed a prototype from scratch that will have no facility for a human to take control, other than an emergency stop button.

An initial 100 testbed versions would retain manual controls, Google said as it unveiled the car on Tuesday. The controls are needed to comply with the law in California which along with Nevada and Florida allows autonomous vehicles but only if a driver can take charge.

Chris Urmson, director of Google's self-driving car project, said the aim was to run extended tests in California where Google is based. Urmson argued driverless cars would improve road safety, calling the development "an important step toward improving road safety and transforming mobility for millions of people".

Google said its testing had suggested it was safer to remove conventional controls altogether because the results of a human having to take over suddenly and unexpectedly were unpredictable and potentially dangerous. “We saw stuff that made us a little nervous,” Urmson told the New York Times.

The toy-like concept vehicle has two seats, a screen displaying the route and a top speed of 25mph (40km/h). An array of sensors allows the vehicle's computer to determine its location and surroundings and it can "see" several hundred metres, according to Google.

Source - http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...-car-prototype
Attached Images

shreyaskr is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 13:43   #210
BHPian

Default Car with no steering wheel

Technological giant, Google is now planning to build a car without any steering at all. The car won't have any brakes or accelerator too. It will only comprise of a stop and go button.

Link to article
prakhar1998 is offline   Reply With Quote