Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th May 2012, 08:14   #76
BHPian

Default re: About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars

I think there are more James Mays on earth than Jeremy Clarksons. This google project seems to be very ambitious and unavoidable to me. I hate whoever the stake holders of this project are. Instead of combining human talent and technology, transferring the command to tech only is too naive imho. What human instinct does by itself with minimal brain involvement shouldn't be altogether done away with. Driving is like a daily chore, an activity which humans have done for years with pleasure and efficiency and passion. Snatching that away and infusing some high tech replacing humans completely to get from place A to B will make a mockery of human talent/intelligence/passion. I feel sad as and when i come across this google project advancement.
Was just wondering, earlier it was walking/running/riding then came carts then ic vehicles and now automated vehicles. The physical involvement has been dying, well not so much till self driven vehicles but this one (total automation) is real sad for all us enthusiasts.
Fuldagap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 10:48   #77
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
The physical involvement has been dying, well not so much till self driven vehicles but this one (total automation) is real sad for all us enthusiasts.
Actually I think this is a good thing for enthusiasts.

Generally speaking, drivers can be broadly classified into 2 groups. 1. Who like to drive and 2. Who have to drive

Enthusiasts would fall into type 1, and others in type 2. If type 2 had an option to sit back and be driven safely, it makes the roads better for the type 1.

You dont have to worry about the lane swerving car driven by a person on cellphone/doing makeup/eating/drinking, general behavior exhibited by type2. They can choose to be in a Google car and do all of the above and more.

Now for the erring type1, they always exist, irrespective of Google Car or not.

So, would you not prefer to drive spirited knowing that the friendly Blue(?) Priuses around you would never cut you off or tailgate you?

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 11:19   #78
Senior - BHPian

I am all in for this.

Seeing the idiots surround me on road really gives me jitters.
My life being in control of these imbeciles on the road ...

Would rather trust a machine

HAIL GOOGLE!
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 13:06   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

HAIL GOOGLE!
The idea of autonomous car is not a Google brainchild. In fact it is as old as 1939 and Mercedes Benz were already testing it on streets in 80s when Google wasnt even born!!!

More details on an autonomous car on the wiki page Autonomous car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually it is still not street legal even in Nevada where Google have got licence to test it. Its still a very long way to reality, more so in India
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 15:52   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

So, would you not prefer to drive spirited knowing that the friendly Blue(?) Priuses around you would never cut you off or tailgate you?

Cheers
Ya Cheers! but why don't they exploit the already existing tech of going from point A to point B without driving themselves, it has been existing since decades ........called TAXIS. You don't have to automate everything just because you have the technology.
Thats what happened with USA back in the 90's war. They let technology decide strategy rather than vice versa.
Fuldagap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 18:49   #81
Senior - BHPian

Has Eric Schmidt ever made a trip to India? Each vehicle will need a zillion sensors and a near super computer to calculate the safest/fastest/most fuel efficient path in our traffic and road conditions!
Nothing so far has come close to really mimicking the human brain yet and auto pilots are just a series of logical instructions that work in a pretty well monitored environment with a fixed set of variables. I can't imagine a system, at least in the next 10-15yrs, that can process the amount of info Indian drivers process to reach home safely everyday!
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 20:20   #82
BHPian

If you expect a computer driven vehicle to drive with blatant disregard for traffic rules, then you are right, it will probably not be able to do so (RoboCop the movie, anyone?). The sad story of our nation is that a well-intentioned concept/norm/idea does not work in it unless twisted to work wrong. We are loopholers by default, ethical only under duress.

Google, to its credit, is displaying a viable technology that may have some meaningful potential. The cars you see in the video are loaded with $300,000 worth of hardware and software. It is expensive, it is experimental, it is still at a concept level, and clearly, for it to become a reality the world's traffic/transportation/insurance/safety laws will have to be re-hauled as we know them. There is a massive amount of overcoming to do before this comes anywhere near the masses, but someone has to start somewhere. The early laserjet printers from HP were sold for ~ $4000.

There is more computing in a common car these days than was in the Apollo spacecrafts that made space/moon missions. Today's cars come with options unheard of just a decade ago. An advancement in automation of road vehicles is just a matter of time and progression for technology. Commercial planes, trains and ships are already way ahead of road vehicles in this respect.

Most of us whistle and applaud when Ferrarri or Lamborghini or Bugatti or some such declares a 700 bhp monster, even when the fact is that the 700 bhp's are absolutely useless on 99% of the world's roads, and that hardly 1000 people on the entire globe will ever lay their hands on the vehicle. Google's ambitious automation is vehicular technology's equivalent of the 700 bhp vehicle. Why not appreciate the effort and intent behind it even though chances of it making to the mainstream are miniscule for the near foreseeable future ? What they have achieved so far may not be game-changing (as many if us seem to think already), but it certainly is solid and revolutionary.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 10th May 2012 at 20:23.
NinadJoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 18:52   #83
BHPian

An article to re-fuel the thread:

Google self-driving car a great hope for India - CIOL News Reports

The author already calls it "wishful thinking, but one that borders on
desperation and hope". So that sets the tone of the article.

I agree with many other posts. What a densely populated country with poor
infrastructure and ample availability of manpower on jobs like driving needs is
probably not a driverless car.
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 19:06   #84
BHPian

This is absolute rubbish. Next they would create surrogates and ask us to love our lives virtually. That would be safe too. Safety from accidents, mugging etc. But who would want to love like that?
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 22:14   #85
BHPian

Closing quoting Jeremy Clarkson, " Actually there are cars that drive themselves. They are taxis."
Pancham is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 02:19   #86
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Well if the google CEO has his way, he would quickly morph into a cyborg. All pleasurable things in life such as driving would be handed over to computers. How geeky can he get. It is true. The geek shall inherit the earth :P
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 04:39   #87
BHPian

Only in America, can people can get so excessively imaginative, maybe! Those guys seem to have some kind of fascination for lifeless sci-fi. They're also used to a more orderly environment that lures them into trying such automation.

Take adaptive cruise control, for instance, which goes a step beyond cruise control to automatically slow down and speed up per traffic conditions... I mean, how lazy or averse to manual labor can one get?

At any rate, I think most common Americans are too accustomed to looking at cars as merely a mode of transportation, and you can't find a clearer expression of that outlook than this remark we're discussing. I don't blame them, though. Auto-transmission cars, overly orderly road conditions and uniformity across the country - recipe to lose interest in driving or in cars for most common folk.

It's in countries like ours that cars evoke many other sentiments due to number of reasons. Not the least of those reasons in India is perhaps the natural human excitement of being the first generation that has ever owned a four-wheeled automobile!
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 10:13   #88
Senior - BHPian

I have said it before and I will say it again, Self driving cars are bad news.
No matter how good the technology gets, if a person is so lazy and careless to drive a car and want to rely on technology to drive him around, please take a taxi and save us from the automated cars.
I do not want to share the road with an automated car which cannot comprehend an emergency situation like humans can.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 10:31   #89
Senior - BHPian

Biggest liability in humans driving car is the visibility - it is just limited to line of sight. Automated cars can see much beyond, say 1 Km in all directions. Another aspect is reaction time. While humans take half a second to react, automated cars can react much faster, even in micro seconds.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 10:50   #90
BHPian

Hmmm, let me see, Bangalore traffic, idiots cutting lanes, heading into oncoming traffic just to try and squeeze another place in front, morons blaring their air horns even though they can see that there is no space to move in front, cabs driven rashly and then threatening the person who is actually following traffic rules, two wheelers taking to the footpath and pushing pedestrians out of the way.

Now why would I even want to consider the possibility that sometime in the future all this may be replaced with something safer and more efficient?! It's just too much fun the way it is! Being a petrol-head, I really should love any sort of driving, even this mess!

Let me instead dismiss the very idea of a possible automated streamlined future as nonsense, I love the "human element" of chaotic driving in cities way too much!
am1m is offline   Reply With Quote