Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th April 2010, 17:18   #136
Senior - BHPian

This thread should have had a poll. OK, here is my vote:

Best : Alto LXi

Worst : All other cars!

This is all subjective IMO. Nobody is going to accept that his car is the one with the worst feedback!
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 22:35   #137
BHPian

According to the cars i have driven

BEST - SWIFT,
good- Baleno ( once fitted with broader tyres )
WORST- HONDA CITY ( 2nd Generation)
brijesh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 22:39   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
But being very smooth & easy to use is not a kind of feedback only? Just yesterday only i come back from a highway, at 130 KMPH also i didnt feel bad with my steering in my Swift Dzire. I drove other cars mentioned in the thread with feedback also, but sometimes i felt those are annoying in city. May be its my personal opinion
Yes its your opinion and a personal one at that.

Being Smooth and easy to use is not feedback. There are many posts in this particular thread itself that explains what feedback does and why one requires it. To re-iterate, it is to communicate with the drivers hand as to what is going on underneath the tyres. Say for example: Whether there is fine sand on the road surface, normally not visible to the eye at night. Whether, on trying to avoid hitting an obstacle, you can sense more grip available to the front tyres so that you may turn more, or if you have lost grip, turn a bit less and try again, thats feedback.

For enthusiasts, this very property is what bonds a person to his machine, the interaction etc. The little extra effort needed to turn the wheel at parking speeds is not an irritant for them. However if you use a car for mere point A to Point B transportation, this bonding might not be totally related to.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 22:52   #139
Team-BHP Support

Among the cars which i have driven, i find the Ikon, Fiesta, Linea and Palio offerring good feedback, thereby adding to the FTD factor.

Worst? Not really sure, but i've heard pretty much about the NHC's lifeless steering feedback.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 23:09   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Yours is the first post that lists Ikon & Palio as worst steering waali car.
Obviously, it comes from hatred to the brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

Being Smooth and easy to use is not feedback. There are many posts in this particular thread itself that explains what feedback does and why one requires it. To re-iterate, it is to communicate with the drivers hand as to what is going on underneath the tyres. Say for example: Whether there is fine sand on the road surface, normally not visible to the eye at night. Whether, on trying to avoid hitting an obstacle, you can sense more grip available to the front tyres so that you may turn more, or if you have lost grip, turn a bit less and try again, thats feedback.

For enthusiasts, this very property is what bonds a person to his machine, the interaction etc. The little extra effort needed to turn the wheel at parking speeds is not an irritant for them. However if you use a car for mere point A to Point B transportation, this bonding might not be totally related to.
Rightly said 1100D. That pretty much sums it up.

Last edited by clevermax : 5th April 2010 at 23:10.
clevermax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 08:00   #141
Senior - BHPian

Best: Palio 1.9 D - the steering wheel jolts back in a trice when the rubber rolls over an obstruction

Not so good: Santro, Innova - the feeling is mushy. It's as if the steering wheel is trying to help you by absorbing some of the shocks but in the end that's not what I want it to do.

Also - I think this matter of steering wheel feedback is very subjective. Some like it to be very crisp, while others want it to be softer.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 09:31   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey, that means tactile sensation in the steering wheel, which is hard to believe! I have a feeling that is a bit over the top really, until I drive a car that proves otherwise.

Do you mean only non-PS provide the best feedback?
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 09:42   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I will try driving one of these cars to feel the difference.

I read that for Electronic steering, after certain speed like 80+ kmph, power steering gets cut off & it becomes normal steering to get the feedback as you mentioned. Is it correct? May be i have misread it.
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 10:01   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Hey, that means tactile sensation in the steering wheel, which is hard to believe! I have a feeling that is a bit over the top really, until I drive a car that proves otherwise.

You should drive a vehicle which offers such steering feedback to feel it. When driving over a bad road, the steering lets you know exactly where the wheels are going so you can take corrective action. Hydraulic power steerings are good at this.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 11:30   #145
BHPian

It seems everyone is trashing Wagonr EPS. If you have driven non-PS wagon R on high ways its a different story.It helps a lot to control the box well on speeds above 80 Kph with great Confidence.
S5157 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 11:36   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
You should drive a vehicle which offers such steering feedback to feel it. When driving over a bad road, the steering lets you know exactly where the wheels are going so you can take corrective action. Hydraulic power steerings are good at this.
Yes, non PS steering have the ability to provide best feedback, depending on the steering system used as someone else has rightly pointed earlier. With a good steering system, you would be able to pinpoint what each individual wheel is going through, say, left wheel on on loose gravel and right wheel on grippy tarmac - although you would still have a visual idea of the surface but the level of grip available will be communicated through the steering itself.

Its not that with newer steering systems, feedback will become a thing of the past, have driven a Fabia, with electric powersteering and is quite communicative. Even the ANHC has a better communication dialled in. So even if the feedback isn't upto the levels they used to be earlier, but our mind learns to adapt quickly to lower levels.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 12:04   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I read that for Electronic steering, after certain speed like 80+ kmph, power steering gets cut off & it becomes normal steering to get the feedback as you mentioned. Is it correct? May be i have misread it.
I don't think the system will be programmed that way. Because if somebody is driving in 70 - 90 kmph speed, he will end up having a big accident if the EPS cuts in and out at 80 all the time.

However, speed sensitive EPS systems reduce assist to steering as speed increases, gradually.
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 12:24   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting thread.

For me, the best and worst in terms of steering feedback and both cars that I've bought in the last six months. Best, 320d and worst, i20. And switching between them on a daily basis is proving to be damn annoying for me
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 12:30   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I don't think the system will be programmed that way. Because if somebody is driving in 70 - 90 kmph speed, he will end up having a big accident if the EPS cuts in and out at 80 all the time.

However, speed sensitive EPS systems reduce assist to steering as speed increases, gradually.
Yes, it may be a gradual turn off. But I've read that it happens after 60 Kmph for the Maruti EPS systems.

Quote:
This is all subjective IMO. Nobody is going to accept that his car is the one with the worst feedback!
Ha ha.. I think you just need to get over with the Alto fascination
And no, this is not a subjective thing like the looks of a car. It is obvious from all the posts we see in this thread - almost all vouch for some particular cars only.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th April 2010 at 12:36.
clevermax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 14:56   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Have you driven a car like the Punto or the Fiesta? There is nothing subjective about steering feedback. And the Alto LXi has one of the worst feedback among the cars in the Maruti stable. The Swift is much better. The 800 which is non-PS has better feedback than both of them.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote