Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th April 2010, 15:09   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yes, it may be a gradual turn off. But I've read that it happens after 60 Kmph for the Maruti EPS systems.

Ha ha.. I think you just need to get over with the Alto fascination
And no, this is not a subjective thing like the looks of a car. It is obvious from all the posts we see in this thread - almost all vouch for some particular cars only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Have you driven a car like the Punto or the Fiesta? There is nothing subjective about steering feedback. And the Alto LXi has one of the worst feedback among the cars in the Maruti stable. The Swift is much better. The 800 which is non-PS has better feedback than both of them.
LOL! The only other cars I have ever driven are the Dolphin & Padmini (long long ago), M800, Santro & Spark (a little) and of course, my current ride Alto LXi. I am yet to drive a sedan in my life!

Funny thing is, I see some of the cars (ANHC, Ikon) on both sides of the divide in this poll! I always thought both were driver's cars.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 15:09   #152
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Gansan, let's put it this way. If you like your Alto LXI's feedback, you will absolutely adore the FORD's and the FIAT's feedback.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 15:11   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Gansan, let's put it this way. If you like your Alto LXI's feedback, you will absolutely adore the FORD's and the FIAT's feedback.
Ha ha, I don't exactly "like" it, but don't find anything adverse either. And it feels like a toy to drive around town!

Last edited by Gansan : 6th April 2010 at 15:16.
Old 6th April 2010, 15:14   #154
BHPian

The Ford Ikon's steering was the best i had so far.
I am also quite comfortable with the NHC steering as well.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 15:14   #155

Default Steering Feel & Feedback - Nominees for the Best & the Worst!

Best Steerings - Ford,NHC, Skoda in that order

Worst Steerings - Alto, Wagon R , Santro in that order
tuhin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 15:26   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
The Ford Ikon's steering was the best i had so far.
I am also quite comfortable with the NHC steering as well.
That is why I said it may be subjective! Both the 'aye" as well as "nay" sayers of these two cars can't be correct at the same time! I myself am unable to offer an opinion as I have driven neither.
Old 6th April 2010, 15:29   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That is why I said it may be subjective! Both the 'aye" as well as "nay" sayers of these two cars can't be correct at the same time! I myself am unable to offer an opinion as I have driven neither.
I had both these cars and i felt Ikon to be better than the NHC.

But i will not complain on the NHC feedback as well. In fact, during the P&P sessions i had my NHC and absolutely have no complaints.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 15:36   #158
BHPian

Ikon steering is the best of the lot I have driven which includes swift, zen, wagon-r, elentra, city, accent, spark, a-star, alto, tavera, palio, Baleno, esteem, i10, petra and the non power assisted padmini, UNO and ambassador. Maruti EPS assisted cars have been the worst as far as driver feedback is concerned.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 15:51   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's right.

Quote:
Ha ha, I don't exactly "like" it, but don't find anything adverse either. And it feels like a toy to drive around town!
Its just that you have only experienced what is normal but yet to experience the blissful state of being behind the wheel of such a car (Ford/Fiat etc).

Quote:
Just count the number of 'nay' sayers for Ford Ikon or Palio - very few right? Its like a poll - vast majority is with 'aye'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuhin11 View Post
Best Steerings - Ford,NHC, Skoda in that order
Worst Steerings - Alto, Wagon R , Santro in that order
Really? I've read someone saying that the NHC steering was the worst. It was something like for the initial 30 degrees of turn from straight position, the steering is hard to turn and then beyond this point, it becomes lighter - if that's the case, it is very bad.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th April 2010 at 16:01.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 17:24   #160
Senior - BHPian

I would like to vote for the IKON too.
Even at 130-140kmph, the steering gives a tremendous feedback and the control is really awesome.
I have driven Swift, zen, santro, Innova,safari, omni , Alto but nothing to beat my Ikon.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 17:40   #161
BANNED

Quote:
That's right.

Just count the number of 'nay' sayers for Ford Ikon or Palio - very few right? Its like a poll - vast majority is with 'aye'
I believe that the no. of 'nay' sayers for the ikon was one & that was wartikars
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 18:03   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Really? I've read someone saying that the NHC steering was the worst. It was something like for the initial 30 degrees of turn from straight position, the steering is hard to turn and then beyond this point, it becomes lighter - if that's the case, it is very bad.
when it comes to city driving, NHC steering is the best.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 18:08   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i agree. My cousin owns a LXi and steering feedback on my non PS Alto is better than his. Specially on highspeeds

i20 has the worst steering feedback out of the new launches. Considering the car has so much to offer a better feedback was expected.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 19:29   #164
BANNED

I've driven Santro, Alto, 800, Zen, tavera, indigo, old corolla & corolla altis, civic, OHC, NHC & my prized possession Ford iKon 1.3 Flair.

From all of them, iKon has the best feedback. The preciseness of the steering is awsome even at 130kmph...

Ford - Feel the Difference & Make everyday Exciting
thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 19:36   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Yours is the first post that lists Ikon & Palio as worst steering waali car.
I have already commented on the best feedback being offerred by Ford Cars. First Ikon (you can literally flick it like a bicycle), second Fiesta. My own personal opinion. I am sure Mustang would agree .

Let's relook at the definition of steering feedback, I feel that feedback is more related spirited driving, the confidence to flick or knowing when to stop.

Though there are several cars which are great in city or bumper to bumper driving but by definition one cannot really do any spirited driving in such circumstances (and one should not try to as well) . And there lies the difference!

The discussion in diverging from the core question here. These are the dimensions we are discussing:

1. Which car is easiest to drive?
2. Which car is a pleasure to drive?
3. Which car has best steering feedback? I feel we should be discussing point 3 only for this thread.

Easiest & pleasurable are subjective while feedback is more or less objective. Moreover, there are several other aspects like Chassis balance and so forth which can make a car real pleasure to drive. I find parking in tight spaces fantastic with a corolla but I am sure all will agree the steering is completely vague and does not provide anything to the driver.

My 0.2 cents (10% oif 2 cents)!
fatboyslim is offline   Reply With Quote