Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th April 2010, 19:40   #166
BHPian

Just wondering how does the Ikon steering compare to that of the Fiesta. I would imagine them to be pretty close.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 19:41   #167
BANNED

@fatboyslim : I absolutely 100% agree with you!
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 21:49   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Just wondering how does the Ikon steering compare to that of the Fiesta. I would imagine them to be pretty close.
ACI report praised the Fiesta steering but mentioned that compared to the steering of Ikon, it felt that it has a dose of iBrufin (hope you get the 'pun')
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 22:05   #169
BHPian

Best steering - Honda City
Worst power steering - Wagon R
harishF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 00:29   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
ACI report praised the Fiesta steering but mentioned that compared to the steering of Ikon, it felt that it has a dose of iBrufin (hope you get the 'pun')
Fiesta's steering is a bit lower on feedback, a touch less direct. Ikon's more enthusiastically setup, but, Fiesta offers better compromise between comfort and directness, still maintaining excellent feedback. Fiesta's is a logical progression from Ikon's handlebar-like on-the-edge setup.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 00:40   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartikars View Post
Best: Mercedes Benz, Optra, Cruz, City, Accord, Civic, Spark, SX4. Linea.
Worst: Santro, i10, WagonR, Ikon, Accent, Verna, Palio.

Ikonnnnn....!!! The worst is Ikon !!!
prmd_cochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 03:14   #172
Senior - BHPian

Best: Swift, Although it becomes a bit light after 140, but still its predictable and direct
Next a Maruti 800, SUPER direct steering.Loved it

Would not go to the extent of calling it worse, but i am not big fan of the steering of the Santro.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 11:16   #173
BHPian

I think Fabia is not mentioned by many as its not a very popular car (in numbers) but from my usage of this car, I find that it has a very responsive steering with excellent feedback at all speeds.

Last edited by Madan Gopal : 7th April 2010 at 11:25.
Madan Gopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 12:02   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madan Gopal View Post
I think Fabia is not mentioned by many as its not a very popular car (in numbers) but from my usage of this car, I find that it has a very responsive steering with excellent feedback at all speeds.
I have driven my friend's Fabia, it provides great comfort & decent handling. It handling might be the reason why it is in the wrc circuit..
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 12:07   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Fiesta's steering is a bit lower on feedback, a touch less direct. Ikon's more enthusiastically setup, but, Fiesta offers better compromise between comfort and directness, still maintaining excellent feedback. Fiesta's is a logical progression from Ikon's handlebar-like on-the-edge setup.
I felt the same as well, when comparing the Ikon's steering to that of the Fiesta's. The Fiesta is more easier to use in parking situations, where the Ikon's steering requires greater effort.

However, in terms of steering feedback : Ikon > Fiesta
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 12:21   #176
Senior - BHPian

Many people quoting that mainly all EPS put by Maruti, Hyundai on small cars like Alto, Santro, Wagon R etc are not good in feedback. But these are fitted on all small cars, hatches which are mainly targeted for city driving & not for very high speed driving on highways. For city driving in B2B condition i guess those are ideal steering's
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 13:15   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I felt the same as well, when comparing the Ikon's steering to that of the Fiesta's. The Fiesta is more easier to use in parking situations, where the Ikon's steering requires greater effort.

However, in terms of steering feedback : Ikon > Fiesta
The Fiesta 1.6S provides even better feedback than the regular Fiestas because it carries a different steering column/rack. It's also a little more heavier.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 15:53   #178
BHPian

this is an interesting topic with lots of personal vendetta against cars which we like or otherwise.

my favourites have to be the fiats, right from the uno to palio to linea to punto. ditto with the opel astra and corsa.

in current generation i feel the civic takes the cake with a confidence inspiring steering feel. though the handling is slightly questionable on higher speeds. but that's simply because of the weight or the lack of it.
in the SUV (this side of 30 lacs), i think the most confidence inspiring is the hyundai tucson. personally i like the car a lot, and still i am not able to figure out why did it crash so big time in the market. maybe the price. maybe the price with the hyundai brand.

now comes the interesting part--the worst steering feel.
hyundai's most of the hot selling models take the cake. the santro, i20, accent and the verna by far have been the most aloof steerers i have ever driven. and yeah, another car with a good steering feel but HORRIBLE handling -- chevy cruze. take it for a test drive, try panic steering at 60-70 kmph, and you would know what i am talking about..

worst handlers?!?
samyakmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 16:09   #179
BHPian

Quote:
In terms of feedback (and dont shoot me guys), I rate IKON with the best feedback this side of 3 series. It is definitely better than Fiesta even though I own one.

IKON literally goads you to throw it around with a lot of confidence, while Fiesta does the same with little maturity.
fatboyslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 16:29   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
The discussion in diverging from the core question here. These are the dimensions we are discussing:

1. Which car is easiest to drive?
2. Which car is a pleasure to drive?
3. Which car has best steering feedback? I feel we should be discussing point 3 only for this thread.

Easiest & pleasurable are subjective while feedback is more or less objective. Moreover, there are several other aspects like Chassis balance and so forth which can make a car real pleasure to drive. I find parking in tight spaces fantastic with a corolla but I am sure all will agree the steering is completely vague and does not provide anything to the driver.
I think you have a valid point over here. After reading all the answers in this thread, I find that the steering feedback has become sort of subjective. People interpret it differently, as far as I can see. That maybe the reason why you find the same car is both categories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Many people quoting that mainly all EPS put by Maruti, Hyundai on small cars like Alto, Santro, Wagon R etc are not good in feedback. But these are fitted on all small cars, hatches which are mainly targeted for city driving & not for very high speed driving on highways. For city driving in B2B condition i guess those are ideal steering's
The Hyundai Santro uses an HPS and I rate it somewhere in between the best and the worst. And from my driving experience, the NHC also does not offer good steering feedback.
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote