Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th April 2010, 17:00   #181

I restricy my comments to cars that either me or my family have owned in the past, since a short TD or drive isnt enough for me to base my comments on:

Best: Fiesta 1.6S, Swift
Average: Esteem (Non PS)
Worst: Indica DLE (Non PS)
premjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 21:20   #182

Of the few cars driven by me Palio is the best I have come across. I wouldn't call others worst but Palio is the best. Sometimes while driving at speeds of 90+ I can quickly manouvre to avoid pot holes that suddenly come into view. I could easily estimate how much I could flick the car as the feedback is so good.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 7th April 2010 at 21:26.
vamsi.kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 00:50   #183

Good Steering Feedback: Palio, Octavia vRs, Innova

Poor Steering Feedback: i20, WagonR, Santro, Omni
abhijeetaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 09:12   #184

Applying the tried and tested maxim of not comparing Apples to Oranges, I think we should try to pick out the best and the worst from amongst the Non PS cars and the PS cars separately.
For example, I doubt that even pretty expensive cars can match the wonderful steering feedback of the lowly M-800. What say?
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 09:47   #185
Senior - BHPian
Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
The Hyundai Santro uses an HPS and I rate it somewhere in between the best and the worst. And from my driving experience, the NHC also does not offer good steering feedback.

Santro has HPS ?? I was really not knowing this. I was thinking that its Electronic PS.

I10 has EPS?
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 11:21   #186

Originally Posted by aniketi View Post

I10 has EPS?
Yes. Hyundai calls it Motor-Driven Power Steering!
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 17:22   #187

from the cars i have driven

Worst steering feel : Hyundai ACCENT, feels like cotton wool, no feedback at all. Over assist at its maximum. Followed by Santro and Wagon R.

Best steering feel : ford ikon 1.6 and skoda octavia
sandygordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 11:12   #188

Has anyone driven the i10 base version D-Lite?

Since it doesn't have EPS does the steering give good feedback like
Maruti 800?
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 11:37   #189

Originally Posted by Mustang.101
Yours is the first post that lists Ikon & Palio as worst steering waali car.

Obviously, it comes from hatred to the brands.

Originally Posted by 1100D
Yes its your opinion and a personal one at that.

Being Smooth and easy to use is not feedback. There are many posts in this particular thread itself that explains what feedback does and why one requires it. To re-iterate, it is to communicate with the drivers hand as to what is going on underneath the tyres. Say for example: Whether there is fine sand on the road surface, normally not visible to the eye at night. Whether, on trying to avoid hitting an obstacle, you can sense more grip available to the front tyres so that you may turn more, or if you have lost grip, turn a bit less and try again, thats feedback.

For enthusiasts, this very property is what bonds a person to his machine, the interaction etc. The little extra effort needed to turn the wheel at parking speeds is not an irritant for them. However if you use a car for mere point A to Point B transportation, this bonding might not be totally related to.

Rightly said 1100D. That pretty much sums it up.
Yes its is my personal openion and my personal experience. I love all the cars equally. No hatred for any brand. And let us remember we are putting our openions here and don't represent any brand to have hatred for any brand.
wartikars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 12:13   #190

BEST - Fiat Punto
WORST - Hyundai I20

I have restricted on the cars that I intend to buy in a few month's time
SpinWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 13:53   #191
Senior - BHPian

A lot of people have rubbished Santro's HPS and rightly so. At speeds around 90-100kmph the steering strangly turns to liquid wax and you have absolutely no idea whats going on beneath. And being a tall body design, its hell at those speeds

But I normally drive on the Palakkad-Perinthalmanna NH which is full of twist and turns, and ups and downs and you can never go beyond 80 being a 2 lane highway. Santro with the HPS is real fun on these type of twisties. Reach a sharp right hander on a downward gradient, brake late, gear down, gun through the curve. And if there is some gravel or undulations on the curve, the Santro in fact tries to step out of lane. Surely brings a grin to my face (not to mention howls, screeches and swears from wifey sitting beside)

Never driven any sedan out of the city, (and in city, handling is of no importance IMHO) and hence cant comment

And then there is the scorpio..ah yess the scorpio- as scary as sitting on a mad elephant (not that I've driven a mad elephant, but have sat on a fast walking one and that was enough)

Wagon-R was totally devoid of any fun (both non-PS and PS) and add to that a lousy gear box - yuck!

Indica and Amby are the same. On a curve, you never know whether you will reach the ditch on the other side of the road first or the car

Had driven a omni some 10-12 years back in Chennai city - not very high speeds mind you - but felt like riding a toy-three wheeler cycle. Dont know whether to call that good or bad!!

So my worst vote goes to Wagon-R, Indica and Amby. Santro being a compromise - but i personally never drive much faster than 80
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 14:29   #192
Senior - BHPian

Best - All fords ,Qualis,Skoda fabia
Worst: Wagon R all other are kind of ok
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 15:38   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

My dad owns a Santro Xing, and I've driven it for atleast 5000 km. Although, Santro's steering does not have any feel, the feedback from the steering wheel is pretty decent. For example, the steering wheel lets you know exactly when you will lose grip in the twisties. It lets you drive the car at the edge of its capabilities in the ghats.
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 15:59   #194

Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Santro has HPS ?? I was really not knowing this. I was thinking that its Electronic PS.

I10 has EPS?
The Santro indeed has a HPS. That was one of the factors which influenced my decision to select the Santro over the Wagon R.

The I-series has EPS (which Hyundai calls Motor Driven Power steering)
A350XWB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 16:03   #195

I like the Ford Ikon's and the view from its RVM,
Currently, I drive a Zen, but honestly the steering feel isn't too appealing, I am planning to get a decent replica steering wheel.
nick17s is offline   Reply With Quote