Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd April 2011, 18:28   #901
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India

Saw the CNBC auto show; was he biased? Or would it be true that it handles ok and that Honda etc should worry?

Price it right please! ( like what Ford did to Figo!)
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:17   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
Guys being a owner of verna vgt,thought 1st thing i did was change the tyres, now i have 16 inc 205 tyre.driven the car very much,love the engine and easy drive nature of the car,Handled the car quiet well and high speeds,lot of out of bombay drives,so iam sure the new one will handle much better than previous one.i definately replacing my verna with the new verna 2011,just confused between 16.d auto or manuel, and color, now i have red verna, guys please suggest,if 1.6d came with 5 speed or 6 speed auto then would have gone for it surely
My opinion is, If the Verna has lot of turbo lag, then the auto transmission would help minimize that by keeping the car in the power-band most of the time. But if its going to be a diesel like the 1.4 Tdci unit in the Fiesta classic or Figo (with minimal or no noticeable turbo lag), then Manual would do just fine. This is just my view guys
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:58   #903
BHPian

Hi all I have been following this thread from day one and till today no one seems to have a perfect idea about the pricing of the car. Looking at the features of the car it looks like the car will be expensive. Will the price of the top end model go into the price band of the next segment.

Does anyone have any idea of the precise or closest pricing of the various models. The bookings also have comenced but no one seems to have any idea of the price. Well we know the list of features, engine and transmission options and seen the pics and videos of the car but how can one book a car without having any idea of its price.
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:30   #904
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

All said and done one must note that Hyundai has never been the best pricers of their cars. If one note their cars be it i10 or i20 or Verna are not the cheapest cars in their respective segments. I would not expect them to price ANHV cheaper. I am guessing it might as well be pricier then Vento also.
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:10   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
All said and done one must note that Hyundai has never been the best pricers of their cars. If one note their cars be it i10 or i20 or Verna are not the cheapest cars in their respective segments. I would not expect them to price ANHV cheaper. I am guessing it might as well be pricier then Vento also.
Good observation.
But they do put in extra set of features, better interior quality to make up for their price although they don't have the badge value. My guess is the variant close to SX4 zxi or Vento highline will be priced at btwn 9-9.5L. It has 6 gears and more power and torque. So anything more than 10L ex showroom will be high.
Old 24th April 2011, 09:33   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Good observation.
But they do put in extra set of features, better interior quality to make up for their price although they don't have the badge value. My guess is the variant close to SX4 zxi or Vento highline will be priced at btwn 9-9.5L. It has 6 gears and more power and torque. So anything more than 10L ex showroom will be high.
Hyundai would be aware not to cross the Vento highline pricing by much, It might be priced slightly above the Vento, but with significantly more equipment (like in the case of i20 and the Polo).
Old 24th April 2011, 10:31   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
Hyundai would be aware not to cross the Vento highline pricing by much, It might be priced slightly above the Vento, but with significantly more equipment (like in the case of i20 and the Polo).
Even if they cross the Vento mark, Hyundai has an established service network and reasonable after sales service and spare parts prices. Whereas VW has exorbitant after sales service and spare parts prices.

Overall the total cost of ownership on a Hyundai car is much less then a VW. and it no way can be pitched against a Maruti in terms of performance.
Old 24th April 2011, 11:01   #908
BHPian

got a call from Hyundai call center. I told them that I would be interested in the all new Verna. They had forwarded my request to the nearest showroom and booked a TD sometime next month.
Old 24th April 2011, 11:26   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
got a call from Hyundai call center. I told them that I would be interested in the all new Verna. They had forwarded my request to the nearest showroom and booked a TD sometime next month.
Why don't they directly ask the nearest showroom to contact the people who have registered online? :-/ Or have some professional talking to them? All people who had registered online, showing interest for the Verna have been getting calls from call centers, while Ford has some professional person calling them to talk about their Fiesta!
Old 24th April 2011, 12:07   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Good observation.
I think we may be in for a suprisingly aggressive pricing by HMIL. If the launch of the Verna RB (or Accent as it is referred to in US) is something to go by (as per Carblogindia), then the top end petrol variant with a 1.6 Liter engine is priced at $16,800 which calculates to Rs. 7.9 Lakh. Also the Accent hatchback has been launched in US as per this report.

Hyundai Accent Verna 2012 Hatchback for USA at NY Auto Show 2011
Old 24th April 2011, 12:25   #911
BHPian

Taken from the article in the link above,
Despite surprising technology and a significant increase in safety features, Hyundai will hold the line on pricing from the prior generation to continue delivering unmistakable value to customers. Wow that is Really interesting now, lets see what HMIL has planned now, Surprise us or Shock us?
Old 24th April 2011, 12:38   #912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I think we may be in for a suprisingly aggressive pricing by HMIL. If the launch of the Verna RB (or Accent as it is referred to in US) is something to go by (as per Carblogindia), then the top end petrol variant with a 1.6 Liter engine is priced at $16,800 which calculates to Rs. 7.9 Lakh. Also the Accent hatchback has been launched in US as per this report.

Hyundai Accent Verna 2012 Hatchback for USA at NY Auto Show 2011
I dont think its a good idea to convert currency and base the price on it. It never works that way as we have seen in many cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
Taken from the article in the link above,
Despite surprising technology and a significant increase in safety features, Hyundai will hold the line on pricing from the prior generation to continue delivering unmistakable value to customers. Wow that is Really interesting now, lets see what HMIL has planned now, Surprise us or Shock us?
I doubt Hyundai will do it that way - But if they do, it will be brilliant. Offlate they have tried to get them a "premium" image and have priced all the recent launches in such a way. We will have to wait and see - I guess they many not be in a position to price it much higher as well. VW has a good waiting period and SX4 D is also doing good [better]. With Fiesta also in the pipe line, they might play sensible with the pricing.

Edit:: The current base model prices are as below, ex Showroom Delhi

1.6 petrol :: 6,58,xxx
1.6 diesel :: 7,90,xxx

We could assume they might start the base prices here itself since the new base models will be 1.4 engines.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th April 2011 at 12:46.
Old 24th April 2011, 19:06   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Edit:: The current base model prices are as below, ex Showroom Delhi

1.6 petrol :: 6,58,xxx
1.6 diesel :: 7,90,xxx

We could assume they might start the base prices here itself since the new base models will be 1.4 engines.
Yes it might, but I strongly feel that since this model has more complex designing, the cost involved in manufacturing the body shell itself would be higher, then the higher quality materials on the inside, then the increased amount of standard equipment (for eg: The new Verna is supposed to come with music system as standard, whereas the earlier one din't, I'm not sure about the transform, but the one before transform din't) So the starting price might be higher as well.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:14   #914
BHPian

So a long weekend left me with enough vigor as there were some encouraging video reviews about 'ANHV'. I saw 'Times Drive' (Times Now) twice, where they covered 'ANHV' as well. The driver/presenter had boyish looks but definitely had a mature head. While he covered most of things about the car, both exteriors & interiors, the interesting bit was about handling, here is what he said:

'But the best part is the handling, I mean, I was throwing this car around ghats and she was happily kissing corners'

Well, a bit confused with the comment? Some experts are praising and some are not.
Now, may the real experts (Team-BHP) pitch in and unveil the truth rather than leaving us in pandemonium.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:31   #915
BHPian

^^+1; Read the review on Motoring and I quote "Though the Verna’s powertrains are sorted, the sore point is in the driving dynamics. To go with its coupe-like profile, you’d want the car to handle like a go-kart. But the Verna doesn’t like corners; it understeers, going wide when driven with enthusiasm. Perhaps Hyundai has compromised on the handling attributes with the aim of providing ride comfort. Similarly, the steering set-up is engineered more for comfort and ease of manoeuverability rather than driving precision and feedback. The steering wheel, though good to hold, does not offer feedback either — when speeds increase, you’d expect it to tighten up, but it remains vague. This is the only thing going against what promises to be a terrific all-round package as and when the new Verna gets launched"

Full review : Hyundai Verna India Review - A new Vernacular

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th April 2011 at 17:40. Reason: Removed Font tags.
Closed Thread