Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th October 2010, 13:54   #16
BHPian

I was browsing and found it on Infibeam for just Rs 192. Ordering mine today
designersf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 15:18   #17
BHPian

Read through it last weekend-- interesting story, but the book itself could've been written in a much more engaging style. Also seemed to lack basic editing-- several sentences and stories were repeated multiple times across the chapters, long interview accounts are given whose point is just that it was a difficult project.

Most interesting take-aways are Ratan Tata's level of personal involvement in the project and just how far away the final product was from the original idea (going from a doorless rural vehicle to something that would have to beat the Maruti 800 in every way, at a fraction of the price).

The drawings and prototype photos provided in the center of the book are quite interesting.
amb9800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 00:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
i read the book,
and frankly speaking it was a dissapointment.

Maybe i was looking at more technical insights that it could not provide.
But it does catch all the emotion that ran along the development process.

For people with a slightly more technical bent of mind,
i strongly suggest 'The Maruti Story'.
The Maruti Story by R C Bhargava | Flipkart Books

I agree - I read the book too and maybe after reading other auto books (like the Toyota Story / The Critical Path: Inventing an Automobile and Reinventing a Corporation / The Machine that changed the world ) this one was a great disappointment.

The story captured the emotions but was very sketchy on techicals, maybe a better writing style could have been deployed. The language is too simple and lacks the excitement and innuendoes that a lot of us have come to expect for Auto Mags.

Finally the book is frankly a bit over the top in praising the Nano.

The Drawings are nice and some interesting insights about our corporate icon - Ratan Tata's management style are nice parts about the book!

Last edited by Buffetfan : 21st October 2010 at 01:00.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 02:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Any idea of its price?
I was going to say, hopefully the price is also Nanoesque.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 15:46   #20

Default Tata Nano

It will be a Great thing to have this wonderful book on Nano. I have the Nano and I would like to know more about its features. New advancements are being done to make it more advantageous to the common people. Please share.
geeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 21:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeta View Post
It will be a Great thing to have this wonderful book on Nano. I have the Nano and I would like to know more about its features. New advancements are being done to make it more advantageous to the common people. Please share.
There are very interesting threads on nano. Please go through 'Tata Nano - List of all issues' and the 'Tata-Nano' threads.
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 21:24   #22
BHPian

Smile

I read about somewhere that this book was initially written only for inhouse TML and group companies. But basking on the success of the book inside the family, the publisher decided to go public. The NANO story is undoubtedly one of the best case studies on offer. Its a guide of how to see a dream build into a brand.

I just happen to start a new thread about the NANO story http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-wish-not.html and ten minutes later I am stumped with this thread. It surely shows how related we are to the brand NANO. It is a priced possession for us in any form- car or the book. I am waiting to read the book. Happy reading fellas.
justwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

I just received the book today as a gift! Will be a interesting read
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 10:58   #24
BHPian

Just finished reading the book yesterday night. Just loved it very much as its a book on Indian Automotive Wonder & a great foreword written by Mr.Ravi Kant. Its really nice to see pre-production renderings of Nano & also the actual pics of prototype & also a long journey of Tata Motors to have an every common Indian man to have its very own & unique car, so that he can drive his family safely & economically.
Also liked Nano Europa shaped bookmark as well & also a form for contest entry to win a Nano.
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 19:31   #25
BHPian

A small interesting video on tata nano.

Last edited by GTO : 25th October 2010 at 17:07. Reason: Fixing video link
Old 5th December 2010, 23:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
I was browsing and found it on Infibeam for just Rs 192. Ordering mine today
Did you buy the book through infibeam ? Is it a reliable source? But, infibeam site also says Rs. 295 now !!!

Last edited by KMohanan : 5th December 2010 at 23:12.