Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 11:35   #151
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

When exactly these separate brand showrooms are coming up?
There has been talk of it since long but still no sign of any showrooms opening up.
download2live is offline  
Old 9th September 2011, 11:44   #152
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 208
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

From most of the above posts it is clear it is not the after sales service that is alone the problem with Fiat. The sales experience itself puts a spoke to many aspirations. That is not going to change by opening separate showrooms.

The drive to sell the product should be there in the salesmen. Someone with a 25% inclination to check the product must be convinced to go in for the product. Fiat is not in the 1960s & 1970s where only Ambassadors and Fiats were available and one would patiently wait for years to get delivery. Today everything is instant and the marketing department should be such that it can deliver then and there. Every car has its positives and negatives and the sales-talk should be such that the positives overshadows the negatives.

The Company should possibly send dummy buyers to check the efficiency of the sales staff and anyone falling short should be summarily dismissed. One rotten apple is enough to spoil a full basket.

What is damning is that when common people can identify the general problem that Fiat faces and are wholeheartedly giving suggestions for improvement, why can't Fiat see the writing on the wall and take relevant steps in that direction? They just can't pass of sales as Tata's prerogative as in the final analysis it is Fiat that is the loser.

Actually even more of a problem is Fiat's alliance with Tata. When their products are so closely matched in the common man's perspective especially with the same engine, it is human tendency to go in for the cheaper alternative. How many of the general public are going to buy a car for its handling and high speed stability? Fiat is really in a dicey situation and they need to think out of the box to regain any semblance of a foothold in the Indian car industry.
thesilentone is offline  
Old 9th September 2011, 14:20   #153
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,803
Thanked: 1,347 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

People talked about 'herd-mentality' or 'perception' of Fiat in India. Here's another example of perception(wrong) of Fiat, just from today morning.

One of colleagues' friend has updated on his FB page saying that he has booked new Swift VDi and is really excited. So someone asked him "Did you look at Punto before finalizing?". What could be the reply to this question?...Wild guess...anyone.
The reply was "Maruti's diesel engines are better that Fiat and Fiat can make engines only for cars such as Premieri Padmini." First of all, he doesnt even know Maruti uses Fiat's diesel engine and secondly he STILL thinks that Fiat means Premier Padmini. So both the herd-mentality and perception about Fiat are hard nuts to crack. Fiat has too many challenges ahead.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 9th September 2011 at 14:21.
ajay_satpute is online now  
Old 9th September 2011, 16:11   #154
BHPian
 
riturajsharma19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: AS 03
Posts: 129
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Certain realities can hardly be concealed. For e.g I myself own a Punto since the past four months and since the day of taking delivery of the car I had been fighting with the dealer to get the Central Locking accessory installed on my car. It has now been four months, I have had numerous arguments with the dealer, but even till date he hasn't managed to source the accessory for me. He gives ridiculous excuses saying he has already placed the order but the thing hasn't been sent across by Fiat India. On another occasion, he tells me that even if the accessory arrives, the don't have trained personnel who can install Central Locking on a Punto Active. I have written numerous mails to Fiat India, have registered complaints on their helpline number but still no signs of that illusive Central Locking for Punto Active. Now, I have discussed this issue with friends and relatives and they are certainly going to remember this the next time they consider to buy a Fiat product. Now, part availability (spares/accessories) is certainly an issue that needs solution. Many would agree to this.
riturajsharma19 is offline  
Old 9th September 2011, 17:23   #155
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

ajay - way back, they used to say "people get the rulers they deserve".

Nowdays, we need to amend that - "people get the cards they deserver".
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline  
Old 9th September 2011, 21:22   #156
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,231
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
When exactly these separate brand showrooms are coming up?
There has been talk of it since long but still no sign of any showrooms opening up.
Its coming very soon. The first pictures are already out. Google it to see the pictures of Fiat Cafe.
rameshnanda is offline  
Old 9th September 2011, 21:36   #157
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: |
Posts: 582
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

^^^ FIAT brand showroom is allmost complete in pune and delhi .

well, i too agree wrt to HERD;s Mentality . Another thing FIAT needs is a bunch of highly motivated show room salesman , who are not only well versed with the product but should be able to convince customer as well citing competitors short comings. Boman irani rightly saidin 3 idiots " everything is fair in love and war and this is world war" I am ready to do that part of sales man ;s job , part time though

might be OT : -

Another shocker of a news today is that TATA;s Global CEO has resigned citing personeel reasons

Tata Motors CEO Forster Resigns After Less Than Two Years Running Company - Bloomberg

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 9th September 2011 at 21:40.
.sushilkumar is offline  
Old 9th September 2011, 21:48   #158
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Its coming very soon. The first pictures are already out. Google it to see the pictures of Fiat Cafe.
The FIAT Cafe is not what these last set of news report deal with. The FIAT Cafes will be very very limited in number, and they are not traditional dealerships so to speak. They are a good step in the right direction as well.

The last reports have talked about almost 50 FIAT exclusive dealerships spanning almost all the major cities. I think the reports said that they target some 20 to start by mid next year only, and a final target of close to 50 Fiat Exclusive dealers. Most of these dealers are expected to continue to remain under Tata fold, but will sell only FIATs.
julupani is offline  
Old 9th September 2011, 22:28   #159
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,231
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The FIAT Cafe is not what these last set of news report deal with. The FIAT Cafes will be very very limited in number, and they are not traditional dealerships so to speak. They are a good step in the right direction as well.

The last reports have talked about almost 50 FIAT exclusive dealerships spanning almost all the major cities. I think the reports said that they target some 20 to start by mid next year only, and a final target of close to 50 Fiat Exclusive dealers. Most of these dealers are expected to continue to remain under Tata fold, but will sell only FIATs.
Yes Sir. I know about this. Brand showrooms will be very limited. I was actually replying to a query for the brand showrooms and not dealerships.
rameshnanda is offline  
Old 10th September 2011, 12:24   #160
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Another thing FIAT needs is a bunch of highly motivated show room salesman , who are not only well versed with the product but should be able to convince customer as well citing competitors short comings.
+1000^1000 to that.

When I had been to a Tata show room, (I was not looking for FIat then), there was a Fiat on display, and I casually enquired about it.

The sales person responded "saar,, that is purchased only by people who already own and understand Fiats". I was feeling like doing this >> << to the lady. We have owned two fiats - one a Safari and another regular Padmini in better times. I did not elaborate on that to her - because I am referring to the period when I had to stand up on the seat to get a good outside view.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline  
Old 10th September 2011, 14:07   #161
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The FIAT Cafe is not what these last set of news report deal with. The FIAT Cafes will be very very limited in number, and they are not traditional dealerships so to speak. They are a good step in the right direction as well.

The last reports have talked about almost 50 FIAT exclusive dealerships spanning almost all the major cities. I think the reports said that they target some 20 to start by mid next year only, and a final target of close to 50 Fiat Exclusive dealers. Most of these dealers are expected to continue to remain under Tata fold, but will sell only FIATs.

Are there any takers for Fiat Dealerships. Modern car dealerships cost a lot of money to set up and run. With the baggage it has, Fiat will find it very difficult to attract any exclusive dealers. August was an abysmal month for Fiat especially wrt to the Linea. I have a very strong feeling that the new dealerships will not be able to make a significant difference to sales.

Fiat's attitude of not responding to customer complaints, workshops not beeing able to perform small routine jobs, extremely poor logistics for delivery of spare parts correctly and on time have severely dented the Fiat brand reputation. There seems to be utter lack of commitment in the Fiat team. Why would any customer / dealer want to risk associating with the company. We Indian's are conservative in terms of our big ticket purchases and Hyundais and Marutis are very safe buys.

Last edited by v12 : 10th September 2011 at 23:38.
rajneeesh is offline  
Old 10th September 2011, 14:15   #162
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Are there any takers for Fiat Dealerships. Modern car dealerships cost a lot of money to set up and run. With the baggage it has, Fiat will find it very difficult to attract any exclusive dealers. August was an [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]abysmal month for Fiat especially wrt to the Linea. I have a very strong feeling that the new dealerships will not be able to make a significant difference to sales.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Fiat's attitude of not responding to customer complaints, workshops not beeing able to perform small routine jobs, extremely poor logistics for delivery of spare parts correctly and on time have severely dented the Fiat brand reputation. There seems to be utter lack of commitment in the Fiat team. Why would any customer / dealer want to risk associating with the company. We Indian's are conservative in terms of our big ticket purchases and Hyundais and Marutis are very safe buys.[/SIZE][/FONT]
If you read all the press reports, they are likely to ask existing Tata dealers to setup a separate FIAT facility, without Tata cars.

Similarly, these dealers though will sell only FIAT, will probably remain under the Tata fold and thus would probably have the safety of Tata behind them.

Similarly FIAT will also try their best to sweeten the deal so as to attract dealers.
julupani is offline  
Old 10th September 2011, 14:26   #163
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
If you read all the press reports, they are likely to ask existing Tata dealers to setup a separate FIAT facility, without Tata cars.

Similarly, these dealers though will sell only FIAT, will probably remain under the Tata fold and thus would probably have the safety of Tata behind them.

Similarly FIAT will also try their best to sweeten the deal so as to attract dealers.

But why would Tata dealers invest additional resources for a brand whose products simply refuse to move off the showroom floors.

Moreover, even if they did, will the attitude of these dealers who have been to a great extent been responsible for the poor sales of Fiat cars change overnight. If anything, these guys have become too comfortable selling to truck and taxi owners. Will their teams change overnight and start catering to the requirements of the demanding customers.

MSIL dealers are good because the company is very particular about customer service. Phone calls / e mails to MSIL helplines are answered and acted upon. With Tata/Fiat , it is a different story. I think that the Italian bosses at Fiat have still not figured out what the Indian customer is wants in terms of sales/ service.
rajneeesh is offline  
Old 10th September 2011, 14:33   #164
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
But why would Tata dealers invest additional resources for a brand whose products simply refuse to move off the showroom floors.

Moreover, even if they did, will the attitude of these dealers who have been to a great extent been responsible for the poor sales of Fiat cars change overnight. If anything, these guys have become too comfortable selling to truck and taxi owners. Will their teams change overnight and start catering to the requirements of the demanding customers.

MSIL dealers are good because the company is very particular about customer service. Phone calls / e mails to MSIL helplines are answered and acted upon. With Tata/Fiat , it is a different story. I think that the Italian bosses at Fiat have still not figured out what the Indian customer is wants in terms of sales/ service.
They would be willing to invest because Tata is asking them to. I think there will be enough people who will be willing to take up a Tata dealership. Remember Tata is a 50% partner in Fiat India, which is causing them a 100cr loss just last year.

Also, you make out Tata dealerships as if they are a complete waste of time. Have actually experienced this. There are many satisfied Tata and FIAT customers out there, including myself. And they have the ability to improve as well.


By the way, no truck dealer for Tata became a car dealer. In fact other that Tata's own Concorde, not many people out there who will have dealerships of both CVs and Passenger cars.
julupani is offline  
Old 10th September 2011, 14:41   #165
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
They would be willing to invest because Tata is asking them to. I think there will be enough people who will be willing to take up a Tata dealership. Remember Tata is a 50% partner in Fiat India, which is causing them a 100cr loss just last year.

Also, you make out Tata dealerships as if they are a complete waste of time. Have actually experienced this. There are many satisfied Tata and FIAT customers out there, including myself. And they have the ability to improve as well.


By the way, no truck dealer for Tata became a car dealer. In fact other that Tata's own Concorde, not many people out there who will have dealerships of both CVs and Passenger cars.

Buddy, I owned an Indica for close to & years so I know a bit about Tata *SS. A very large segment of Tata car customers are Cab drivers. Tata dealerships may not be a waste of money ( TATA cars still sell pretty well) but it is Fiat I am talking about. For every satisfied Fiat customer there are a lage number of dissatisfied ones.
rajneeesh is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY! Parm 4x4 Vehicles 110 19th November 2009 10:05
Shaman Auto says tata to TATA-FIAT and gives way to Honda! rudrah Indian Car Dealerships 22 5th December 2008 13:04
Head says SX4, heart says Fiesta, pls help! petertheo Sedans 79 29th October 2008 22:04
Maruti Suzuki has decided to open company-owned brand stores in major cities balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 9 23rd April 2008 00:32
Heart says Swift, Pocket says Santro! Rocky_Balboa Hatchbacks 76 18th September 2007 15:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks