Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th December 2011, 18:28   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Seriously, FIA holding on to TATA is as stupid as me buying a FIAT Linea. After, two months of calls back and forth, guess, I will be taking delivery of a Linea MJD Emotion this Wed(14th Dec).

Will post a detailed thread on my experience with buying from Fiat/Tata in separate post, but frankly the experience has left me wondering if I should be locked up in a asylum for stupid people.

IMHO, the only option that could save FIA would be let go of Tata's hand and stand up on its own.
Old 11th December 2011, 19:32   #257
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Didn't they tie-up with Tata because they were unsuccessful when they went Solo in India?
Yes, Fiat was not doing well. At that time, Fiat did not have the products (cars), but now they have the products, but not exclusive showrooms. There is nothing wrong in going back and doing something better even if it did not work out the first time. Especially when Fiat is currently "sleeping with its enemy".

I spent almost 2 hours today afternoon at a Tata-Fiat Showroom to look at the Linea. They had a "2010" model Linea T-jet plus on display. The Fiat SA did not know if it was a T-jet or a T-jet plus. I was better informed (thanks to this forum). The 1.3 MJD i wanted to test drive had a flat tire and was badly maintained. This is a great way to screw up any potential sale. An exclusive showroom

Last edited by MAS : 11th December 2011 at 19:34.
Old 19th December 2011, 15:54   #258
BHPian

Thumbs up Fiat Caffe

Hi Guys,

just came across this link http://www.fiatcaffe.in having all the details about the new concept called Fiat Caffe. Work going on in full force here in Koregaon Park, Pune.

Last edited by ajnagpur : 19th December 2011 at 15:55.
Old 19th December 2011, 17:25   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
I don't know how serious Fiat is about marketing themselves, even the ads that Fiat comes out with are pathetic, look at the latest TV ad, I mean, seriously, what were they smoking? The ad says absolutely nothing about the cars or their features that might tempt a buyer.
The car will not sell if they don't put up family type ads. Remember that being so idiotic, serials like 'kyuki saas bhi..', 'ghar ghar ki kahani' etc. and scripted reality show like 'Big Boss' are the TRP benchmarkers. (To me these serials are analogous to the top two brands) ..

Fiat is trying a bottom-up approach. Concentrate on branding first, quality later since quality as a USP never worked for them (read Palio). We as Indians need word of mouth instead of applying our own 'bheja'.

I appreciate and encourage this approach. This is an intelligent way to 'educate' people.
Old 19th December 2011, 17:31   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Yes, Fiat was not doing well. At that time, Fiat did not have the products (cars), but now they have the products, but not exclusive showrooms.
The palio was the most popular car on TBHP then, far more than the Punto or Linea is today.
When I was looking for a car back in 2007. I was trying to decide between a new WagonR & new Swift. A lot of people I know (all TBHP inspired) almost convinced me that buying anything except a Palio would be disastrous. My only decision should be "new palio" or "used palio".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
There is nothing wrong in going back and doing something better even if it did not work out the first time.
This I fully agree with. What I don't agree with is the general perception that the only reason FIAT isn't doing well is because of it's partnership with Tata & going solo will be a silver bullet to solve all problems.
Old 19th December 2011, 19:39   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
The car will not sell if they don't put up family type ads. Remember that being so idiotic, serials like 'kyuki saas bhi..', 'ghar ghar ki kahani' etc. and scripted reality show like 'Big Boss' are the TRP benchmarkers. (To me these serials are analogous to the top two brands) ..

Fiat is trying a bottom-up approach. Concentrate on branding first, quality later since quality as a USP never worked for them (read Palio). We as Indians need word of mouth instead of applying our own 'bheja'.

I appreciate and encourage this approach. This is an intelligent way to 'educate' people.
The same thing can be done while showing off reasons why someone should buy the car. Just saying that magic happens with a few montages of family scenes, IMHO, will not cut it. A few scenes of family members actually enjoying features of the car(s) would actually have made a difference.

3 of my acquaintances have booked Lineas after experiencing mine, people who were otherwise not even considering it, the Linea is undoubtedly a great car, but first you have to generate enough interest to get people to visit the showroom and the present ad campaign simply doesn't cut it.
teknophobia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:40   #262
BANNED

Fiat’s move to shrug off Tata faces resistance from within

New Delhi: Fiat India’s decision to move out of the shadows of Tata Motors and set up separate, exclusive dealerships could face stiff resistance from its own dealer community. As per the plan, the subsidiary of the Italian car major had sought to come up with exclusive dealerships, as part of a new branding exercise, which would co-exist with other Tata-Fiat dealerships.

The company had said that the existing Tata dealers would open two dealerships in different locations. However, FE spoke to a slew of Tata dealers across the country who said that neither does Fiat have the volumes nor the product range to warrant a new dealership. For instance, in the April-December period Fiat India’s sales declined over 28% to 10,875 units compared to 15,185 units in the corresponding period last fiscal.

At present, Fiat, which is a 50:50 joint venture between the Italian company and Tata Motors, sells cars under the roof of the latter’s dealership. This understanding was reached at by the two companies after forging the joint venture in 2006.[/FONT]

However, last year Fiat India announced that its existing dealers would open a slew of separate Fiat dealerships to boost sales because it felt that Tata cars were getting more importance in the joint showrooms. As per the plan, the company wants 20 exclusive dealerships opened in the country by end of 2012.[/FONT]

“We are not going to open a new dealership for Fiat because it just does not make any sense at this point. Let them launch two or three fresh models then we can consider,” a Patna-based executive of one of the largest Tata Motors dealerships in the country told FE

He said that at this juncture Fiat would have to re-invent itself and unveil a new strategy before it can become attractive to consumers and deal

Kolkata-based Vinod Aggarwal who also runs a large Tata Motors dealership in the city said, “Though existing dealers can only open a new dealership once they get approval from the company I would not open a separate Fiat dealership even if I had the approval

Similarly, another executive of a dealership based in Mumbai said that typically when a leading original equipment manufacturer wants to expand its dealership base, it uses coercive tactics

Since Fiat has such low volumes it is nearly impossible that dealers would open a new exclusive dealership for them,” he saidPresident of Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations Nikunj Sanghi said, “For setting up a separate dealership the biggest hurdle for is the high cost of real estateAn email sent to Fiat India went unanswered
On Friday, Fiat India would be unveiling its first branded showroom in the capital

[According to sources, the dealership is 100% owned by Fiat India. In September 2011, the company’s president and CEO Rajeev Kapoor had told FE that Fiat India was looking to consolidate its current product range by making refurbishments to its existing portfolio of cars. He ruled out any new launch of a fresh model until 2013-14.

Kapoor had also clarified that Fiat was not splitting with Tata Motors, but merely adopting a new strategy. “We are not going separate ways. But our approach to the market is being done differently now. We feel that both the brands should be seen differently. The same dealer will have to open two dealerships in different showrooms/locations,” he had said.

Last edited by motor spirit : 3rd January 2012 at 09:43.
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:51   #263
Senior - BHPian

It is the same dealers who are killing the Fiat Product and keen on selling only Tata. These Tata Dealership workforce are highly ineffective/incompetent when it comes to customer care, Satisfaction, fair knowledge on product they are selling, and so on. They are best suited for selling products to the taxi segment not for the premium car buyers. If Fiat wanted to re-invent and re-brand itself, they should invite for independent dealerships (not from existing T dealers) or open its own dealership across the country like Hyundai (thru HMP).
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:16   #264
Senior - BHPian

From the dealer's point of view, it doesn't make sense to invest more money to open a Fiat dealership at this point due to low sales of Fiat cars. If Fiat invites for independent dealerships, it might not get much response due to the same issue. Without separate dealerships, Fiat cannot establish a better brand image and achieve better sales. It's a chicken-n-egg problem for Fiat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
It is the same dealers who are killing the Fiat Product and keen on selling only Tata. These Tata Dealership workforce are highly ineffective/incompetent when it comes to customer care, Satisfaction, fair knowledge on product they are selling, and so on.
The dealerships know that they can survive by selling Tata cars at the expense of Fiats. I guess it's almost as if selling Fiats is a "bonus" for the dealership. Separate dealerships would mean that they will have to sell Fiats to survive. That will change their attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
If Fiat wanted to re-invent and re-brand itself, they should invite for independent dealerships (not from existing T dealers) or open its own dealership across the country like Hyundai (thru HMP).
I think Fiat should open a few fully-owned dealerships (maybe in Metros) or pickup atleast 25-50% ownerships of the new separate dealerships they are now asking the existing dealers to open.
Old 4th January 2012, 00:22   #265
BHPian

I was in the market for a car recently, and my experience with the Fiat-TATA dealerships has been the exact opposite: very helpful, very knowledgeable, very responsive and they did really push the Fiat car, and not once was I sent in the direction of the TATA cars. I'm specifically talking about ABS Motors, Gurgaon. Though, I did get the sense that they now have dedicated Fiat personnel to handle Fiat cars, and these happened to be of a calibre that I haven't seen in any other car dealership.

Another pleasant thing was that they had no problem just putting me through to a senior TATA-Fiat person when I had some additional queries or had some special request.

I didn't finally end up buying a Fiat but I felt a pang of regret, simply because of all the great people I met at Fiat. If Fiat is now putting this level of effort behind it's people everywhere, I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before they start to turn around.

Though, I have to say, their cars now do seem archaic compared to the competition. I hope the refresh announced today does something for their sales.
Old 4th January 2012, 02:20   #266
BHPian

Found this article in economic times, really good move by fiat where they pln to open 22 showrooms in 2012

Fiat to open 22 exclusive outlets in India this year - The Economic Times
Old 4th January 2012, 09:29   #267
Senior - BHPian

Finally the good news and a good step by FIAT.

Fiat to end dealership JV with Tatas - The Times of India
Old 4th January 2012, 09:30   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoweirdo View Post
Found this article in economic times, really good move by fiat where they pln to open 22 showrooms in 2012

Fiat to open 22 exclusive outlets in India this year - The Economic Times

That put a smile on my face as well. For the previous generation, Fiat was definitely one of the cars they owned at some point during their time. Would be nice to see that happening again.
Old 4th January 2012, 10:57   #269
BHPian

Thumbs up Fiat says , all set to launch brand stores on its own!

Yes.... indeed it's welcome note on Fiat's part, that finally they listened to fiat lovers voice

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th January 2012 at 14:06. Reason: removing smiley
Old 4th January 2012, 11:10   #270
BHPian

Lightbulb Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Really skeptical about this.FIAT has only two cars whose sales combined is less than 1000 units per month.Who will invest in a FIAT specific showroom?

Its not about the sales.people who want to buy a FIAT will buy a FIAT from TATA showrooms,it is the screwed up spares supply system that needs to be upgraded.

Even with FIAT-only service centers if i have to wait weeks for spares whats the point?
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread