Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th October 2010, 11:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Blame it on the government. GPS navigation maps were to be made available through terrestrial broadcasting and as is the case in our country, the clearance and go ahead took ages. Unlike mapmyindia and others who offer aftermarket stuff, iDrive & MMI (still to launch in MMI but not far off) are to offer it integrated in their multimedia setups and that in turn created even more complications for them with not much cooperation from the government. (from a reliable source at Audi) Besides, the people from Munich/Ingolstadt made a million trips to India before even contemplating about offering GPS in India. Now that surely is uncool !
So the 1 cr car always was ready with all the tech needed for such things but thanks to our government, we have been left wanting. Until today that is !
Well, I wonder how come only BMW and Audi were held back by the govt. We have all sorts of map softwares, consoles running since 3-4 years now. Probably there must be something as you said.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 12:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Well, I wonder how come only BMW and Audi were held back by the govt. We have all sorts of map softwares, consoles running since 3-4 years now. Probably there must be something as you said.
Perhaps as they are the only ones offering GPS integrated into their multimedia setups (MMI/iDrive). The COMAND system offered by Merc is basic and the chances of them offering GPS seem bleak enough. Yes, Jaguar could face the same problems as Audi,BMW..unless they have already started offering GPS that is.
As someone mentioned earlier, the basic concept adopted my aftermarket players like MapMyIndia etc. and Integrated systems like iDrive,MMI etc. is the same.
The very process of being given the 'go-ahead' of having GPS integrated into their multimedia systems is what could have taken time as unlike what ford has done with the Endeavor (offering after-market GPS as an option) the Germans have their very own versions of maps,voice modules etc. for navigation purposes.
Why it could have taken time ?..now that is something everyone is wondering as going by simple logic, if MapMyIndia were allowed to tie up with Volvo,Ford etc. then there apparently seems to be no reason to have held back the Germans. Anyway, bits and pieces of information has reached me from different sources so how much of it is authentic and what isn't can be left to guess.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 28th October 2010 at 12:07.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 12:34   #18
SSP
BHPian

I spoke to Infinity BMW about retro-fitting the navigation in my Z4. Apparently, I also need the GPS receiver as it did not come with the car. I dont believe that. I think all it needs is the firmware to allow it and the software loaded onto the hard-drive.

Any way of checking if the receiver is fitted?
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 12:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP View Post
I spoke to Infinity BMW about retro-fitting the navigation in my Z4. Apparently, I also need the GPS receiver as it did not come with the car. I dont believe that. I think all it needs is the firmware to allow it and the software loaded onto the hard-drive.

REALLY hard to believe. Even i am pretty sure you car came with the receiver. Usually in sedans its all in place at the rear end on the roof of the car. Yours being a roadster, even i am not sure where would the receiver be located. But yeah, it should have come in-built with the Z4. Infinity's claims in this case are crap IMO
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 13:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I do not see what the big deal is about.
Cars like Cedia are being offered with inbuilt GPS navigations for couple of years now.
It is not a big improvement for BMW to boast about providing GPS navigation and the model we are talking about is not 3 series or X3, it is their flagship model 7 series. Though it will be a lot more advanced one compared to the basic navigation, one should always expect these features as standard in a car costing close to a crore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I do not think it's a breakthough tech either and do agree a 1cr car should have had it long back. But I'm glad it's finally made it's way here, closely it will be made available across the range.
There might not be many extra features as such but the biggest advantage is the way it sync's with the car without any attachments. It's sort a bluetooth visor handsfree v/s an integrated handsfree like Blue&Me,iDrive bluetooth,etc. Although there the OEM has no 'extra features' it's so much better when integrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I am not saying that they don't work or is not feature rich compared to the aftermarket ones. What I am saying GPS navigation was made available in India a long time ago and for a car costing close to a crore these features should be standard as these were being offered in international markets.

If tata or maruti would have put in a press release about offering GPS navigation in their cars, it would be alright. But a company like BMW doing it is quite hilarious.
Sahil, I agree totally, the feel of OEM is difficult to replicate in aftermarket solutions. But as Speedmiester, you and the rest have been discussing; Sat-Nav is not a new tech innovation. Forget the luxury segment, some of the mid-sizers too have been offering this. Maybe its all the techno-wizardry that delayed the integration of SAT-Nav into the OEM setup.
Who knows the real reason(s) behind it.

But it sure was hilarious to see BMW tom-tom it the way players a few segments lower (Mid-size C Segment) do.

That said, Google-Maps has me well and truly spoilt
Kartik Krishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 16:10   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: BMW 7 Series: now with GPS Navigation

"The flagship BMW 7 seridue for a facelift and seems like BMW have begun work on it. BMW is gearing up to refubish its 7 series in the wake of the fresh challenge offered by the Audi A8 L W12 which has best in class back seat and the upcoming all-new Mercedes S-Class ."

2012 Facelift 7 Series Spied With Interior Shots

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 7 Series: now with GPS Navigation-insidespyshot7front21024x6821.jpg  

BMW 7 Series: now with GPS Navigation-insidespyshot7back21024x6821.jpg  

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th July 2011 at 16:13.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 13:18   #22
BHPian

Smile

In India, the car companies cannot offer GPS by themselves in their cars as standard, all the Cedias and the Ford Endeavours and Arias have the aftermarket solutions, take any company - BMW Audi Merc Jag Porsche Honda Hyundai VW...... anyone....

I dunno whether there was a limitation to satellite access for Indian maps on GPS. (limitation being only to aftermarket solutions) but clearly there was some hindrance to the GPS being offered as default.

So this move by BMW might mean all other car companies will follow suit, and that is good news.

I had a talk with the dealers at BMW the other day, they are soon going to introduce it in the other models too. All they'll do is install the Nav system with a bunch of CDs.... the total thing costing anywhere upwards of Rs 50,000..... which is a shame....

Wish anyone had an idea how to get those CDs by other means

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP View Post

I go my 330i in May '10, and they didnt say anything about lack of receiver, I think the reason is since yours is a roadster, the versions that have been brought to India didn't come with receivers in the first place as they were not providing GPS in India all these years. With sedans I think that might be less of an issue since the fin on the top of the rear window for TV/Radio/Nav comes factory fitted.

Nevertheless, I think you should consider rechecking with your dealer about the issue again, and demand that the transmitter be fitted, it should be their headache after all.

Regards

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th February 2012 at 04:48.
haldar_siliguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 15:11   #23
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I have got the navigation enabled on my BMW E60 530d Highline by Bird Auto in Gurgaon.Anyone interested in the same can get it done now provided you have the new idrive CIC & the 8.8 inch screen.Mine was the first e60 to get it as I've been after them for a while for the same.I have a blackberry bold 9000 & 9700/9780 snap in adapter which fits the 3 & 5 series in the centre armrest for sale if someone is interested.I have also shot off an email to BMW for retrofit of the 6NR & 6NF options ie smartphone integration & BMW apps for the E60.Lets see if that's possible.

Cheers.

Last edited by Sandeepm777 : 16th February 2012 at 15:13.
Sandeepm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 16:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeepm777 View Post
Hi Guys,
I have got the navigation enabled on my BMW E60 530d Highline by Bird Auto in Gurgaon.Anyone interested in the same can get it done now provided you have the new idrive CIC & the 8.8 inch screen.Mine was the first e60 to get it as I've been after them for a while for the same.I have a blackberry bold 9000 & 9700/9780 snap in adapter which fits the 3 & 5 series in the centre armrest for sale if someone is interested.I have also shot off an email to BMW for retrofit of the 6NR & 6NF options ie smartphone integration & BMW apps for the E60.Lets see if that's possible.

Cheers.
Was this done free of cost or were you charged for it. I too have BMW E60 525i with CIC iDrive (not sure about size of screen) but i do know it comes with hard drive(13GB?) and DVD slot.

Please advise me on how to approach the dealer in this case coz our dealer is just too lazy to do anything per se and has to be literally badgered before complying with needs and requirements.

In fact, my bimmer has this peculiar software problem that the rearview mirror don't retract upon locking the car and keeping the lock button pressed and was told that it would be rectified through a software update some 12 months back and I am still waiting for the dealer to procure the update.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 16:17   #25
BHPian

Nothing comes for free my friend.Costed me around 90k that too with discount.They need to update the full software which means all modules on the car get updated.The maps are also loaded with this software update.The shark fin antenna needs to be removed & a new gps antenna needs to be installed as the car doesn't have it.Your problem should get sorted with the new update.Contact Sanjay Bose at Bird Gurgaon.

Cheers.
Sandeepm777 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 04:42   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing comes for free my friend.Costed me around 90k that too with discount.They need to update the full software which means all modules on the car get updated.The maps are also loaded with this software update.The shark fin antenna needs to be removed & a new gps antenna needs to be installed as the car doesn't have it.Your problem should get sorted with the new update.Contact Sanjay Bose at Bird Gurgaon.

Cheers.
So does you E60 now have the new iDrive or does the interface look the same just activated with navigation.

I too have the DVD drive and larger screen in my e60 but I don't thnk 90k is worth it.

But I would love to have the new iDrive interface on my E60 but I doubt this is possible.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 07:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
So does you E60 now have the new iDrive or does the interface look the same just activated with navigation.

I too have the DVD drive and larger screen in my e60 but I don't thnk 90k is worth it.

But I would love to have the new iDrive interface on my E60 but I doubt this is possible.
I have the new idrive with the same interface as the f10.You need to have the idrive controller with the shortcut keys to get the same.I guess you have the pre LCI E60 so that would not support the navi.
Sandeepm777 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 09:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Is the BMW Assist available in India? They just launched the My Remote app for IOS devices.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:47   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Everything is possible, at a cost though.

BMW E6x Series CiC Navigation Entertainment System HDD Based
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG - 5 Series Forums
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 13:07   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have the new idrive with the same interface as the f10.You need to have the idrive controller with the shortcut keys to get the same.I guess you have the pre LCI E60 so that would not support the navi.
The pre LCI was never launched in India. I have the LCI with DVD and Navigation pre wiring done, but the controller is just the jog dial no buttons on it. This is how it was in the initial batches for the e60, however the second e60 we got a year after came with the new new jog dial with buttons and voice command. I guess your car would be the same type as this one.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote