Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th November 2010, 01:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Agree somewhat with stanjohn and architect.
The way in which you take care of your car shows how you value the role of it in your life.
Also - buying a car is a big decision involving regular maintenance costs too. I could have bought a Honda City with the money I had in hand (100% down payment), but realized that 1. I would not be able to park it effortlessly (limited parking space) 2. Pricier maintenance (3 box sedan) 3. Do I really need a sedan? (90% time driving alone) - and decided on a smaller hatch with all safety features + autobox - i.e i10.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 09:25   #17
BHPian

IMHO a car is a reflection of how a person thinks.

I know people who go in Camry/Innova because they don't want to stand out even if they can afford much more expensive cars.

I also know people who would really stretch to get a Honda city because of it's looks/snob value and end up running it only for 15k kms in 5 years

Different people have differing ideas of what is more important. For some people practicality matters. There are other for whom peer pressure regarding peace of mind is important. Then there are folks for whom VFM matters most. For some people performance matters. For some people braggability of how their car has got the most powerful engine matters even if it doesn't have the handling/ftd to go with it. I know people who go for a more exclusive car knowing well that there are better cars which would come in at a more reasonable price. So it's a reflection of how a person thinks.

Then there are people who love cars. For them a car is an indulgence rather than a statement, or maybe more of an indulgence than a statement.

I guess most of tbhpians come in this group

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 7th November 2010 at 09:49. Reason: Please see Moderator note in post. Thanks.
vishnurp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 10:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Syravi, A very philosophical post
but I only have one thing to say.

Buy what you like. Follow your heart (with a little bit of common sense thrown in) and base your choice on what you can afford comfortably plus look after easily.

after all the car that you buy now will need to give you quality, safety, economy and reliability over the next 3 to 5 years.

In todays world it is what you "seem" to be rather than what you actually "are" - unfortunately. If you are a subscriber to this point, then you will probably end up "showing off" just a little bit.

But ultimately it is your money and you MUST buy what YOU are happy buying and pay no mind to what other people may or may not think about you based on the car you drive.

Enjoy and wish you the best!
Drive safe!

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th November 2010 at 11:52. Reason: Please do not quote an entire large post, it causes inconvenience to our mobile ans small screen users. Thanks
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 11:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Rather I would correct, A man is known by the wisdom with which he chose his car.
There is nothing wrong in having a rethink.

Alto is good and if you have made things clear in your brain and heart, assume that you have bought your second car first. Thereby you can cajole your heart and still go on chosing the 'first' car later.

The K10 can be your bike. scooter etc with an umbrella to save you from rain and shine.
Come on go ahead pal.

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th November 2010 at 11:08.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 12:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

A man is known by his actions. No man should be known for what he buys, cars or shoes, that's just awful.

A simple humble opinion. You may laugh at me or think me naive. Be thankful you can buy a car and buy one for yourself. Because you like cars and because you can afford one.

Not for the opinion people will form of you. I can't stand a lot of people with some pretty awesome cars.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 12:17   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
A man is known by his actions. No man should be known for what he buys, cars or shoes, that's just awful.

A simple humble opinion. You may laugh at me or think me naive. Be thankful you can buy a car and buy one for yourself. Because you like cars and because you can afford one.

Not for the opinion people will form of you. I can't stand a lot of people with some pretty awesome cars.
I couldn't agree with you more. Even I cannot stand certain people with some really sweet cars. And some people with the cheapest cars happen to be my best friends.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 12:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

I agree with you, Sam. Achievements, thoughts and the way one lives his / her life are far more important than what one owns. Unfortunately, these core values are often forgotten and the superficial things of life tend to get more importance.
That said, cars , or for that matter any materialistic thing cannot become the parameter for judging a person.
auto-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 13:08   #23
BHPian

I would say, almost any purchase decision, given a fixed range of options would reflect on the person's nature.

The problem comes when we compare across the options available.

For e.g., consider the premium sedans category and some options - (BMW, Merc, Audi) - Certain ppl would always choose only one of the above if all other conditions (like price, ***, Waiting time) are the same. Drive oriented would choose BMW, Comfort Oriented Merc and Value Oriented - Audi (I know all these cars are near perfect in all three above categories, but the tilt is indeed there)

Same for premium hatches (i20 / Jazz / Polo) - I just couldn't convince myself to buying Jazz even if I could afford it.

When money permits, I may never buy a merc - I just don't know why.

Subconsciously everything that we buy or associate is indeed a reflection of our personality. (within the affordable range)
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 13:28   #24
BHPian

Well as they said in Tokyo Drift " Its not about the ride , Its about the rider ".

Strictly stick to what 'you' want to own . The car should bring a smile to your face every time you see it . Others opinion simply does not matter.

Also I do not think Tata cars are selling because of patriotic feelings about the brand .
KRf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 17:03   #25
BHPian

Unfortunately, car is definitely a lifestyle statement (not just in India). The brand/model matters when you are into a business where your customers may judge you after seeing your ride. For everyone else, the buy must be based on one's requirements, CONVENIENCE and affordability. Think of the longer run - usage, maintenance etc and do not worry about what others think about you by looking at the ride!
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 18:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syravi View Post
As a Team BHPian I'll ask 'What's in a car?"
Car does not define "you", but a car does contribute to your "perception". Depending on profession and other things, we might or might not care about this perception.

Even banks use this criteria. One of the fields in loan application forms is: Do you own a four wheeler?

Quote:
As I close in on the Alto K 1000 tomorrow, I am faced with a unique predicament.
I faced the same problem 3 years ago. I decided to go for Alto. Because like you, I am an employee and my image/perception in society does not matter for my work.

For others, it might not be the case. Some have to play down their perception and have to purchase 10-12 lakh car even if they can afford BMW/Merc. I know of cases (Mumbai, early 1990s) of protection money being jacked up since someone bought a flashy car (for that time).

For some, they have to play up their perception by buying a car that is "perceived" to be the norm in their professional / social circles.

Quote:
Seeing my choice my family is a bit disappointed. From a society point of view everyone in the family and my friends feel that my image will take a beating......They have nothing against the car but they feel that it doesnt go with my image. Which is why this thread.

Am I doing a sensible thing in choosing an Alto K 1000? What I seek is not an advice on a list of other cars I can possibly, but the fundamental 'rightness' or 'wrongness' of my decision.
I think you are doing the right thing.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 18:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

@Ravi - Just one sentence, if one buys something based on his needs, then he's satisfied for his life no matter what the world think, if he buys something from the point of what the world sees, then he's bound to suffer inorder to please the world; be it clay or car.

If you love Alto, then every drive of yours is going to give you pleasure, every time you see the car, you see a love & not the car, you see a living companion & not a machine.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 19:35   #28
BHPian

@Syravi:

You have indeed stepped into a deep query. The thing about cars and every other materialistic thing that we buy is that absolutely anyone who has money can buy them. I know a lot of people who have super cars and super bikes but not one grain of sense on how to drive them nor do they know what it means to own something like that. It is impossible to stereotype cars and associate them with people not because its never what it seems but, because some people just have a lot of money and the other have a lot of sense. Hardly any chance when the two meet. When they do meet then maybe we can associate their cars with their true personality, something defining per say.

Take for example a guy like me, my pockets aren't exactly deep but my conscious would just drop dead when asked to buy an Indica or Ford Figo. Because Im the kind of guy who likes cars like the Polo. The car should be fun to drive, brilliantly designed and should reflect my rank as an enthusiast while not losing to be easy on my pockets. Compared to the big cars of course

So think of it this way, there are some people who own cars that truly reflect their personalities because they are the rare gems with the money and brains to do so. But don't be fooled when an influential's son rockets away past you on a Kawasaki ZX-14, because that dude doesn't have any idea what he is riding.
anubhavarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 20:05   #29
BHPian

I have an old Fiat (Premier padmini) which I polish and look after her myself. The car may not fetch any money and people look upon me - everybody heads turns when I take a drive in that. Whereas i10 kappa which also i own, though costlier does not attract or not a head turner. Car detailing and polishing is done for both the vehicles on Sundays.

I enjoy and derive pleasure in driving both the vehicles albeit technology has made the newer car easily driveable.

Always choose car which you can afford to run. One can easily purchase a costlier vehicle but running is costlier.
gururaj r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 20:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Rajinikanth can be seen in cars like the Amby, Tavera etc. I don't think he owns fancy cars!

What would you call the people who judge Rajini's status by the car he travels in? 'STUPIDS'

Just buy the car you and your family like to drive, travel in comfort, can afford to buy and maintain, take pride in owning etc. Don't even think about what the guy next door or the hotel valet driver is gonna think.

P.S: Some people in Business, Travel, Hospitality industry etc. buy premium/luxury cars with snob value and that's for a totally different reason.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote