Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th November 2010, 20:57   #31
BHPian

I personally believe,own a car that you can comfortably maintain and drive.
Owning a particular car is purely and purely one's own choice.
No one can have any say in it.
I don't agree with fellow bhpians in the above posts making statements like "an influential's son does'nt know the value of what he is driving" .
He had the deep pockets to afford what he is driving and very well deserves it.
You are no one to comment on what his dad should gift him and what not.

I only tell what car a person owns is purely his choice.Yeah someone would go for a 30L car just for the brand value or maybe it satisfies his ego.That's perfectly fine.That is important to that person.
You cannot judge people who go for a BMW 3 series over a Superb to be fools for spending 10L more.Just that their priorities are different.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 09:17   #32
BHPian

Default Are you comfortable with your car representing you?

@Ravi:

At a fundamental level, I think it is OK to buy a car to reflect social status. However, I might never do it.

I could buy a car that I like and it could be expensive. But I would not buy it to prove anything to others. So, my suggestion to you is that buy something that you like because you are the one who is going to drive it for a long time.

For Ex: If you like to buy an ALTO, then go for it. Probably in a matter of time, you could afford another (read better) car that you may truly like and also comfortable with as a social status. But as a person, you have to do what is good for you in terms of affordability and also other things that is important to you.

Given the choice of finalists you have (Vista and ALTO) - if it were me, I would go for the VISTA because comfort and safety for the family is more important for me. But at the end of the day it is more important that you are comfortable with your decision.

Hope you would be!
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 13:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syravi View Post
What I seek is not an advice on a list of other cars I can possibly, but the fundamental 'rightness' or 'wrongness' of my decision.
Excellent and thought provoking thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Strong men do what they think is right and break the rule. Others just follow the rule - just my opinion !!!
+1.
and they make up just 5% of the population.
Just repeating what that wise man from Omaha said
"They spend money they don't have, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't like"
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 22:18   #34
BHPian

This is however my personal observation and people may beg to differ on this; but i think the social culture in India is such that the more
expensive cars ( not only cars gadgets, branded clothes ) creates a very good impression on people in the society you live in.This has led
to a biased society of people, trying to judge always which is totally incorrect in my opinion. That's one reason, if you went in a car showroom
wearing bata slippers, the SP would really not consider to entertain you in the car buying process.

However,I feel that the 70% people fall in this category and the rest 30%(i think all these people are on tbhp) people buy on their needs fulfilled by the car (family,A.S.S,resale,mileage) which should happen in all the cases. this perception should definitely change and i would suggest you to take all these factors into consideration.

Other than that;there have been instances wherein i see in my apartment itself there were 2 cars few years ago which has now quadrupled in years
wherein people tried to compete with each other, and now my observation is that these "newer" cars are at home with covers on 90% of the time and see the road occasionally and the other wherein my manager earning chunks of $$, but still driving a KIA to office because it serves his purpose.
Fraz33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 22:48   #35
BHPian

What a wonderful thread. Made me think quite a lot.

Coming to the point, i clearly see your point here ravi. Here, in India, cars still are considered to be luxury. And hence there exists a certain kind of social designation which is directly proportional to the segment/price bracket of your car. Having said that, it is upto one self, how much importance to give to such derived statuses.

Now since you mentioned the alto, i d like to give you an eg. of a very close family friend. He owns a s-class, accord, alto. And trust me, he drives the alto much much more than the other two. He finds it extremely practical.

And its not just limited to cars, this phenomenon holds true for every thing in life. Eg. Cellphone. A person carrying an iphone is seen more highly than a person carrying a regular nokia,lg etc.

So if buying a more expensive car (and the social status that comes along with it) makes you happy, then go ahead. If stickin to the alto feels the better choice, do that. Basically, just go ahead with whatever makes you happy. You wont regret.
razrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 22:53   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
This is however my personal observation and people may beg to differ on this; but i think the social culture in India is such that the more expensive cars ( not only cars gadgets, branded clothes ) creates a very good impression on people in the society you live in.This has led
to a biased society of people, trying to judge always which is totally incorrect in my opinion. That's one reason, if you went in a car showroom
wearing bata slippers, the SP would really not consider to entertain you in the car buying process.
I totally agree. I have also observed that in our society, people judge you based on what you drive, what you wear, where you go out to eat, where you go for vacations, etc. So a lot of times one may feel these pressures to maintain certain image just to get along with relative/friends/neighbors, etc. IMHO the percentage of people that judge you like that is much more than 70%. I say it's 90%.
mrsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 23:22   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syravi View Post
Hi Everyone,

Shakespeare asked 'What's in a name?'
As a Team BHPian I'll ask 'What's in a car?"
Please help with your comments.

Happy driving. Belated Happy Diwali!
Hi,
Some thoughts.
What were you driving before? Did you ever explain to others why you were driving what you were driving, even if not asked? Do you judge others depending on what they drive?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 23:36   #38
BHPian

What a wonderful thread. Made me think quite a lot.

Coming to the point, i clearly see your point here ravi. Here, in India, cars still are considered to be luxury. And hence you are kind of conferred a certain kind of social designation which is directly proportional to the segment/price bracket of your car. Having said that, it is upto one self, how much importance to give to such derived statuses.

Now since you mentioned the alto, i d like to give you an eg. of a very close family friend. He owns a s-class, accord, alto. And trust me, he drives the alto much much more than the other two. He finds it extremely practical.

And its not just limited to cars, this holds true for every thing in life. Eg. Cellphone. A person carrying an iphone is seen more highly than a person carrying a regular nokia,lg etc.

So if buying a more expensive car (and the social status that comes along with it) makes you happy, then go ahead. If sticking to the alto feels the better choice, do that. Basically, just go ahead with whatever makes you happy. You wont regret. Because that will be the RIGHT choice.
razrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 11:23   #39
BHPian

Its a sad reality of life, but it is true that most people judge the book by its cover. Meaning that most people judge a person by his car, house, clothes, shoes, wristwatch, mobile phone and other gadgets.

But IMHO, the people who judge someone on the basis of these things are fools. I consider myself to be an intelligent person, and hence don't make my decisions based on what such fools would think about me. I am the master of my life, I make my decisions and purchases based on my needs, not to impress anyone.

Another sad reality of life is that intelligent people like me are a minority in our society. People who run in the rat-race and have a sheep-herd mentality are praised by the society and intelligent people who follow their hearts are considered as outlaws.

Coming back to your car purchase, what surprises me is that in 2010, where almost a dozen hatchbacks are available in the market, you could shortlist only 2 - Alto K10 and Indica Vista. I agree that both are good cars in their own ways, but please open your eyes and look at the other options available in the market.

With 70km of daily running, I would strongly recommend a diesel car. Assuming that you are a family person, and that this would be your only car, I don't think it is a good idea to buy a small hatch like Alto (especially since budget is not a constraint) and use all the boot space with the CNG kit. Not to mention the long queues and wastage of time for refueling every day.

Maruti has 2 excellent diesel cars - Swift and Ritz. Ford Figo diesel is selling like hot cakes. Why don't you consider these cars ?

Please don't judge a car by its looks. Looks matter only for a few days, after that the only thing you would appreciate is space, comfort and mileage.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 03:53   #40
BHPian

Default a perspective

I don't think its that simple.

So say if a successful man buys himself a segment leading car and maintains it very well.
What does it tell you about this man? Some people here suggested that indicates he has good hygiene. How does it matter? Unless you are sharing clothes, food, saliva with this person, how does it matter?

For all you know this person could be a psychopath on the brink of snapping into serial killer mode. How many times have we read neighbors of serial killers say 'oh but he was so normal, such a clean cut, good guy'?!

There are no stats to make correct judgments on a person. Not one's clothes, money, cars.

Every individual is different and while their habits can be mapped to certain valid assumptions, a person can not be 'known' by his car.
vroomsome is offline   Reply With Quote