Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th November 2010, 19:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default India / Gujarat RTO question, Can someone help?

Hello,

One question that has come up to my mind during the purchase of a recent new car, well you see for the last 20 years or so we have bought cars and we usually register it on Individual name, but this time when I bought my car the RTO agent from the dealer claims I have to pay double RTO as the residence proof I have given is at my company. Basically I live where our company is and so my address after my name is the company's name, and we never have had any issue and always have paid single tax, so can someone shed some light on this matter?

1. Is the RTO agent from the dealer correct that since I have the name of the company in my address I have to pay double tax as per company rate?

2. If he is correct how come never in so many years I have ever had an issue?

3. Also if he is wrong could someone post a link or an article where I can show him the information? I had a huge arguement with him and incase I was wrong in telling him that I am right, then I'd like to say a sorry to him, but in case he is wrong I would love to bring his ego & pride down.

Regards,

P.S I deeply apologize if this is not the right section, also if a similar thread exists I'm sorry but I could not find this information.
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 20:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

hello,

AFAIK you have to pay that extra tax if you registering the car on a company name. We have all our cars registered on company name and hence pay that extra. If you registering your car on a personal name you need not pay that tax. from what i know address has nothing to do with that tax.

Individual name or Company Name.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 22:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Harshal is correct, if your car is registered in company's name, you have to pay extra tax. It has nothing to do with address. Here either their is confusion or there is some cheating taking place. If the car is being bought in Individual's name, one need not pay extra tax.

Recently we purchased Wagon R CNG and did not pay extra tax as this car was not purchased in company's name.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 22:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

AS both Harshal and Goswami say, the tax is different for corporate registration. Address does not matter, as long as you produce enough evidence that you are indeed staying at that particular address. Take up the fight with the dealer on this issue, RTO agents are mostly rascals - since they have to deal with bigger rascals - and talking law and rules with them is a futile exercise. Clearly, he is trying to build up a case to say that RTO officials are objecting so that he can take more money from you under the guise of paying bribes. It is quite possible that the RTO is suspicious about your address and there are ways - such as by filing an affidavit or a declaration - that will reinforce the fact that you are a resident at that address.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 10:20   #5
BHPian

As said by Harshal,aggoswami and hvkumar, You have to pay single tax only.

You better talk with some other RTO agent.
kunaldhami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 11:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

@S350L-E240

I just reconfirmed this with my car dealer and he clarified that the taxes have nothing to do with the address. In past he has registered one of our cars on personal name at our address which used to be Home / Office when my parents shifted from Pune to Ahmedabad. If the car is invoiced on your Company's name you are liable to pay the Company Tax.

Most people register the car on company name for tax calculations / depreciations etc. I would strongly recon you take a strong stand and let the dealer not cheat you. As mentioned above either there is a confusion or a case of cheating. But a dealer that is already selling good amount of cars each month, I don't see a reason to get confused.

Cheers!!

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 11th November 2010 at 11:24. Reason: TYPO
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 14:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,
Thank you so much for the replies, yes I know that company has to pay double tax and like I said I have always paid single tax and this is the first time this agent was saying I have to pay dobule tax for which I just posted a dealer review on the review section and I believe he saw it and when I went there he got really foul with his mouth, lucky him the owner is out of the country and will update on what happened about his behaviour, while my work is done and I only had to pay single tax, it would be great if I can reply to this person so any official link or if someone knows what section does this fall under would be of great help to me.

Also no this was not really the dealer's fault at all as he is a personal friend and during this entire process he was out of the country, infact this is limited only to the RTO agent and one of their sales managers who is very Irresponsible.

When I told the RTO agent he is wrong, it offended him and he starts talking about how much he knows of RTO etc. and when he spoke of all this he used words which hurt a lot of sentiments so if any way I can let him know he was wrong would be of great help.

Once again thank you all for your help,

Regards,
Old 11th November 2010, 17:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
When I told the RTO agent he is wrong, it offended him...if any way I can let him know he was wrong would be of great help.
Do not take pains to educate these type of cheaters my friend; simply nod your head to whatever he says & go find another competent agent who sound reasonable.

Not worth your time to educate these morons to get your things done. I hope you haven't paid any advance or anything with this guy right?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 09:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

aargee, not trying to educate him, Just that some words he used were not morally and ethically correct and they were not needed at all, so would just be nice to show him the written proof of him being wrong.

And no advance was paid, like I said the owner is a great human, infact it's been 3 weeks now and I still have not paid for my car, it's RTO, Insurance etc. Very few humans could be like Mr.Talha, and all this happened under his absence.
Old 12th November 2010, 23:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

There would be no official link or a clause pointing towards it as it simply does not exist. Address has got nothing to do with Registration Fees as long as the address is under the jurisdiction of the competent RTO. Its the alphabets which spell the name of the owner that determine the fees.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 22:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

I didn't know where else to post, hence posting here.

My friend purchased a Conti GT and not wanting to go through the 'agent' route, he applied for the ownership transfer directly.
After many trips to the RTO and much drama, the authorities have finally confessed to having 'misplaced' the file!! The reason they gave was, " Nimm time sari illa!". (It's your bad time!)
My friend now has to re-obtain the signatures of the owner and go through the transfer procedure again.
Wonder what the ownership W.E.F date will be. And, God help my friend if the owner has already left the country!
Absolutely callous behaviour.
RTO: Koramangala, Bangalore.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 1st March 2016 at 22:45.
schakravarthy is offline   Reply With Quote